Keepleyland2

6/12 @7:10 p.m. Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

7 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

This one is squarely on Gardy, had he stuck with the Liston approved Coleman, Jiminez, Greene sequence we win. 

I blame Ausmus.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

I don't sleep.  I recharge.

I’m old school. I sleep. Recharge is an option 😁

5 hours ago, Scottwood said:

Cabrera's contract is probably going to end up being one of the worst ever. He'll still be on the books when hopefully the organization is ready to contend again. It's a shame to see his career going down this path.

80% you're right - 20% it's setting the stage for a feel good comeback story.

I wish I felt crushed and dismayed about Miggy having season ending surgery, but surprisingly, I don't feel much of anything about it at all.

Maybe it's because despite that he'll be around (or at least on the books) for another five years, Miggy is from the dead-and-buried past, and I'm more concerned about our future. Maybe it's also that he's just not the same player anymore, which makes sense. I mean, he's 35, after all, and he was on track for a one win season, which wasn't going to do us much good either way.

Maybe that's ultimately the thing: nothing Miggy was going to do was going to make a difference to our season. I feel bad for the guy, obviously, and he must be in a lot of physical pain. But in the end, he's going to live like a king forever, and he's earned it, so good for him. But speaking only for myself, this won't affect anything for me in terms of how I regard the Tigers and their future.

44 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wish I felt crushed and dismayed about Miggy having season ending surgery, but surprisingly, I don't feel much of anything about it at all.

Maybe it's because despite that he'll be around (or at least on the books) for another five years, Miggy is from the dead-and-buried past, and I'm more concerned about our future. Maybe it's also that he's just not the same player anymore, which makes sense. I mean, he's 35, after all, and he was on track for a one win season, which wasn't going to do us much good either way.

Maybe that's ultimately the thing: nothing Miggy was going to do was going to make a difference to our season. I feel bad for the guy, obviously, and he must be in a lot of physical pain. But in the end, he's going to live like a king forever, and he's earned it, so good for him. But speaking only for myself, this won't affect anything for me in terms of how I regard the Tigers and their future.

I agree the loss of his performance is irrelevant to the future of the team, though it's clearly an entertainment value loss on the single AB to AB  basis to anyone who enjoys watching a good hitter do his thing.

I'm more frustrated because I can't shake the suspicion it was unnecessary. If I could believe Cabrera was really taking the fact that he was getting older seriously  and had acted like a professional to do what he could to have prevented these kinds of injuries, it wouldn't bother me - you could just chalk it up to bad luck. As it is, not so much.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Pretty much. On the bright side, it does open up a spot for playing time for other players, perhaps allowing gerber or Stewart to come up if they try nick at 1B. 

And the other positive aspect about season ending surgery of this type is that it’s going to keep him from doing much of anything for a while. Maybe all of the extra time off will help those hamstrings and his back heal a bit. 

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

And the other positive aspect about season ending surgery of this type is that it’s going to keep him from doing much of anything for a while. Maybe all of the extra time off will help those hamstrings and his back heal a bit. 

Should. OTOH, I don't get a good feeling about likely outcomes of Cabrera having too much time on his hands.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I feel the same way.  Unfortunately, I am not too optimistic about the future with or without him.  Things can change quickly in baseball, but I fear we are looking at a long re-build.  

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Should. OTOH, I don't get a good feeling about likely outcomes of Cabrera having to much time on his hands.

He has matured past the silly drinking stuff, I suspect, but I suppose he could put on a lot of bad weight.

4 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

He has matured past the silly drinking stuff, I suspect, but I suppose he could put on a lot of bad weight.

It depends on whether he was an alcoholic or just liked to drink a lot.  You never mature out of alcoholism.  

20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It depends on whether he was an alcoholic or just liked to drink a lot.  You never mature out of alcoholism.  

and he might populate another small nation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I feel the same way.  Unfortunately, I am not too optimistic about the future with or without him.  Things can change quickly in baseball, but I fear we are looking at a long re-build.  

That's unquestionably the case. The real question is, since they are up against eight or ten other teams doing the same thing, will the rebuild succeed?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's unquestionably the case. The real question is, since they are up against eight or ten other teams doing the same thing, will the rebuild succeed?

Depends on whether the young players they add this year and next (and the guys they currently have) pan out or not. Same scenario as the other eight or ten teams doing it. 

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and he might populate another small nation.

Nice one.

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Fair enough.  I don't know which he is.

21 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

In his seven years with the Tigers Fernando Rodney had a 15-30 W/L and a 4.28 ERA.  Each one of those losses was the same as throwing a cute baby girl with a tiny pink ribbon in her hair off a cliff. Not good. He averaged 4.6 walks. He averaged 6.7 BB in 2008 when he went 0-6. His career ERA and FIP are identical. 

He was completely in the tradition of an erratic Tigers relief pitcher. He sent many small children home crying when he blew games and probably created countless football and soccer fans as a result.  I had the old English D tattoo on the right side of my face surgically removed because he pissed me off so much. He’s like an ex-girlfriend you never really miss, and talking about her wistfully nine years later is sad. 

Yeah, I love the guys we got in the pen now...especially Saupold.  He should take 2-weeks off and then quit.  Meanwhile Rodney went on to become one of the best relievers in all of baseball.  Many of you do not like the way he wears his hat.  Get over it.  He does that to honor his father.  He had good stuff while he was here but he couldn't get the fast ball over consistently.  He put it all together after he left.    

19 hours ago, Scottwood said:

Cabrera's contract is probably going to end up being one of the worst ever. He'll still be on the books when hopefully the organization is ready to contend again. It's a shame to see his career going down this path.

The worst ever that I can come up with.  Careful what you wish for.  

6 minutes ago, NickCantCatch said:

Yeah, I love the guys we got in the pen now...especially Saupold.  He should take 2-weeks off and then quit.  Meanwhile Rodney went on to become one of the best relievers in all of baseball.  Many of you do not like the way he wears his hat.  Get over it.  He does that to honor his father.  He had good stuff while he was here but he couldn't get the fast ball over consistently.  He put it all together after he left.    

I can't fault the Tigers on Rodney - they stuck with him 5 yrs after his TJ and there was really no trend at all toward a lower walk rate, and then after they moved him it was still not until the 3rd season later he put it together. It has been weird luck for the Tigers that they happened to bring up two really late bloomers that finally turned into great relievers in Rodney and Miller, but under today's CBA there is no way to hold onto guys for that many years waiting for the light to go on.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Puljols' contract is pretty bad.  Zimmermann, for that matter.

You're not being fair to Chris Davis.

17 minutes ago, NickCantCatch said:

Yeah, I love the guys we got in the pen now.

So we should hang onto guys in 2010 because we might need them in 2018.

2 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

You're not being fair to Chris Davis.

But who is, really?

Juan Gonzalez probably remains the best bad contract rejected.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So we should hang onto guys in 2010 because we might need them in 2018.

No.  We have had a terrible pen even in the years we had great starting pitching and a solid core of position players.  We tried to get cloer after closer and with the exception of Velverde's year of luck, we have not had a lock down closer.  Rodney turned into that guy.  He had good stuff.  He wasn't the typical Tiger pitching machine.  I wish they would of stuck with him.   

But they did stick with him.from age 25 to 32 and he was 3 years removed from a good season when they let him walk,. and, as it turned out, he 2 years away from stringing together 3 good seasons - after which he has fluctuated from average to good.

Basically the Tigers would have had to have carried him starting 2007 through 2011, getting average or worse pitching that entire timeframe, to get the benefit of his resurgence from 2012 on.

MLB teams generally do not wait 5 or 6 seasons on players in their 30s in the hopes of improving.  They just don't.  Especially teams with post-season aspirations.  At some point you have to produce results to match the potential to get get invited back the next season.

You know that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

But they did stick with him.from age 25 to 32 and he was 3 years removed from a good season when they let him walk,. and, as it turned out, he 2 years away from stringing together 3 good seasons - after which he has fluctuated from average to good.

Basically the Tigers would have had to carry him starting 2007 through 2011 getting average or worse pitching to get the resurgence from 2012.

MLB teams generally do not wait 5 or 6 seasons on players in their 30s in the hopes of improving.  They just don't.  Especially teams with post-season aspirations.  At some point you have to produce results to match the potential to get get invited back the next season.

And you know that.

Second that.