Deleterious

Pistons hire Casey

predictable amd conservative.  not a horrible move considering the ownership group wants to make the playoffs now.  

they werent going to take the chance on handing the team over to someone who had not done it before.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

5 years

We've been lucky and frankly spoiled to have the 89, 90, and 04 championships in our lifetimes.  The Pistons are in a purgatory market with a mediocre owner, and what we are experiencing now is probably the norm for many years / decades to come.

*Yawn*

Mediocre coach will get you at best mediocre results. Typical low ceiling Pistons move. It's the Luke Kennard pick all over again.

2 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

*Yawn*

Mediocre coach will get you at best mediocre results. Typical low ceiling Pistons move. It's the Luke Kennard pick all over again.

No coach will give this roster anything more than slightly above mediocre results. 

For $7M x 5 years knowing I’ll probably get fired after 2-3 years and still collect the full value of my contact, I’d sign in a heartbeat. 

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

svg was coach and gm and got $7 mil.  casey is getting $7 just to be the coach?

does tom gores just light $100 bills on fire?  for such a successful businessman, he sure is a poor negotiator for his bball team.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

does tom gores just light $100 bills on fire?  for such a successful businessman, he sure is a poor negotiator for his bball team.

I guess Casey had all the leverage once Beilein announced he was staying put.

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I guess Casey had all the leverage once Beilein announced he was staying put.

Not really.  Where else was Casey going to go?  The only other open spot is Toronto and I'm pretty sure Casey wasn't going there...

Whatever, it's not my money so I don't really care.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

Better yet. his deal in Toronto was 3/$18M.

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Not really.  Where else was Casey going to go?  The only other open spot is Toronto and I'm pretty sure Casey wasn't going there...

Casey didn't have to go anywhere to get paid, Toronto owed him for another year. Beside, you don't really think he was hard up for money after 7 yrs as an NBA HC? Emotionally maybe he's desperate to keep coaching, but if the reporting is correct he was smart enough not to let the Pistons know that.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Emotionally he's desperate

Just how I like my coaches

The article does go on to say some good things about him.  But the bad is bad.

Why the Toronto Raptors decided to fire Dwane Casey and what’s next

Over the years there were three areas where Casey was ultimately judged to be lacking.

They included:

• In-game adjustments: the ability to respond in the moment to match-up challenges and situational plays.

• A tendency to stick with the tried and true, rather than seek out new and different approaches. The Raptors much-discussed embrace of a more modern offence, as an example, was a top-down directive rather than something Casey pushed for proactively.

• And thirdly, the Raptors will likely be looking for a coach more determined to push incumbent all-stars Kyle Lowry and, in particular, DeMar DeRozan out of their comfort zones.

Casey has essentially been the only NBA coach DeRozan has had, and while he’s blossomed into a four-time all-star, there have been frustrations internally that DeRozan wasn’t held accountable often enough for his defensive lapses that have hurt him in his development as an all-round player.

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

It seems like you care at least a little bit.

So, did he receive a contract, or was he sentenced for a crime?

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It seems like you care at least a little bit.

nyah, i post about things i dont really care about all the time.  like del.  or biggs.