Sign in to follow this  
detroittigerfan

JUNE, 2018 JUNE SUCCESSES

Happy to get these autos at the Tiger game on Saturday:  Niko Goodrum, Ramon Satiago, and Dixon Machado, all on cards.  Especially excited to get Niko, since he is one of the few living Tigers I do not have.

But more excited to get Craig Monroe by the Fox booth; Craig signed my "Detroit Tigers" book by Bill Anderson.  But the highlight was having Curtis Granderson sign a photo I took at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown; the photo was of the uniform that he wore on 9/9/2007 when he stole his 20th base, making him one of only three players in Major League history to hit at least 20 homers, doubles, triples, and steal 20 or more bases in one season (after Frank Schulte and Willie Mays).  Later that month Jimmy Rollins also completed this feat, making the "20-20-20-20 Club" a very exclusive group.    

2 hours ago, detroittigerfan said:

Happy to get these autos at the Tiger game on Saturday:  Niko Goodrum, Ramon Satiago, and Dixon Machado, all on cards.  Especially excited to get Niko, since he is one of the few living Tigers I do not have.

But more excited to get Craig Monroe by the Fox booth; Craig signed my "Detroit Tigers" book by Bill Anderson.  But the highlight was having Curtis Granderson sign a photo I took at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown; the photo was of the uniform that he wore on 9/9/2007 when he stole his 20th base, making him one of only three players in Major League history to hit at least 20 homers, doubles, triples, and steal 20 or more bases in one season (after Frank Schulte and Willie Mays).  Later that month Jimmy Rollins also completed this feat, making the "20-20-20-20 Club" a very exclusive group.    

Where did you get the players? I haven't been down this year....doesn't the enhanced netting make it really tough for graphs?

Yes, the net does make it a lot tougher.  But I got Granderson by the Blue Jays dugout, Monroe by the Fox desk, and the other three by the Tiger dugout.

Did anyone go to the first Tiger Wednesday with Cecil Fielder? I was out of town and couldn't make it.

If there was any doubt about attendance at a Tiger Wednesday game instead of Tiger Friday, that question was answered with a huge crowd, biggest in several years.  Of course, having a big name like Cecil Fielder was significant, plus handing out bobbleheads always draws a crowd.  We will see what the other Tigers draw in the upcoming four Tiger Wednesdays.  Cecil had not been around West Michigan at all, and I think he only had limited appearances in Michigan.  Also, the vacation season has not yet started, which results in a larger crowd.

Cecil signed autos for the season ticket holders in the Pepsi Club first, then the Caps handed out numbers up to 400.  But the Caps did not guarantee that you would get an auto even if you had a number; in their defense, they did what they promised:  1) 1000 bobbles to be handed out, and 2) Cecil will sign from 6PM - 8PM (or was it 7:45pm).   I do not know if Cecil signed all 400, but I heard that he did sign up to 8PM.  I know that many people also did not get a bobble either.

The problem was simple:  supply and demand.  The demand for Cecil and his bobble was huge, and there was no way the Caps could satisfy everyone.   The only way you would be guaranteed an auto and bobble is if you had a season or partial season ticket (and paid big bucks to get them), or you got into the regular line very very early; not sure exactly when that is, but I know at 4PM there already were a lot of people in the north side line. 

I got Cecil to sign for me in the Pepsi Club, plus I got a ticket with a low number for another auto at 6PM.  However, I gave it away to a friend who drove all the way from Saginaw, got into the line outside the ballpark early (sometime long before 6PM), and still did not get either a bobble or a number to get an auto.

Coming up, the Caps have Dave Rozema (July 11), Willie Horton (July 25), Placido Polanco (Aug. 15) and Mickey Stanley (Aug. 22).  Rozema and Stanley are both "local boys" who I think will still be popular, even though they have been available here a lot.  Horton will be popular because he was a '68 Tiger and has not been around West Michigan that much.  Polanco has hardly been available at all in Michigan, and never here, so we will have to see how well he draws; it could be significant since the Caps are handing out his bobblehead.

Anyone else have a different observation?