9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember in 2007 I had visions of a dominant 2010 rotation headlined by Verlander, Bonderman, Andrew Miller and Porcello.   Verlander held up his end of the bargain atleast. 

No love for RIcky P?

33 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Fulmer hasn't been very good since like the AS break last year. Not sure what his value would be unless he has a good month and a half, starting now. 

the one easy to see thing in his charts is that since about mid last season he is not throwing his slider as hard. Now maybe that was an effort to increase his velocity delta since he actually throws his change as hard or harder than the slider or maybe an adjustment for other reasons that had the same effect. I hope he didn't slow the slider just to slow it down though. The slider is supposed to play directly with the fastball - esp the sinker to the same handed  batter.  - the slider's key is not in its speed differential, it is in the movement away from the same handed batter or vs a 4 seamer, down to either handed batter. I think throwing the slider hard as you want is fine. To my thinking speed change is best with the change or curve because you start it high at the batter's eye level like a FB up in the zone but then it doesn't get there before the swing is either early or out of gas.

10 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

No love for RIcky P?

Ricky got pretty bad before he finally started getting better. 2010-2011 were  dark days for him.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Ricky got pretty bad before he finally started getting better. 2010-2011 were  dark days for him.

Sort of. His FIP went down every year though IIRC. I had a thread about it for years haha

13 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Sort of. His FIP went down every year though IIRC. I had a thread about it for years haha

I've said before I think the big turning point for RP was Jeff Jones working with him to rediscover his fast ball. But the other odd thing with RP, and maybe it was his genes and he just had to outgrow it, was that it defied conventional wisdom for a big strong kid to run out of gas so quickly as he did early in his career. Early in his career he was pretty much toast at 80 pitches. 

32 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

White Boy Rick was pretty epic in that Game 163...................

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I've said before I think the big turning point for RP was Jeff Jones working with him to rediscover his fast ball. But the other odd thing with RP, and maybe it was his genes and he just had to outgrow it, was that it defied conventional wisdom for a big strong kid to run out of gas so quickly as he did early in his career. Early in his career he was pretty much toast at 80 pitches. 

Yah, product of his early call up IMO, both in terms of conditioning and developing a third pitch. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That is not uncommon for a 21-year old pitcher.  I always felt he was over analyzed and underrated.  

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

No love for RIcky P?

Depends on when in 2007 this rotation was dreamed up. Porcello wasn’t part of the org until late 2007. 

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

yes, he got babipped pretty bad.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

yes, he got babipped pretty bad.  

Okay, time out, there is no reason to get into the man's sex life here.    Gutter talk.