Franklin Perez - Casey Mize - Alex Faedo - Matt Manning - Beau Burrows   ?  

Because all of them will work out and reach their potential, right?  

Fulmer and Boyd will be long gone by then

Does drafting Mize, who is clearly going to be quick to the MLB, change the thinking on trading Fulmer? In 2020 Fulmer will still be cheap, and have three more seasons of control. 

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tigers will also sign Verlander since he'll be a FA and will want to go back "home."  

6 minutes ago, DubTownTigersFan said:

Does drafting Mize, who is clearly going to be quick to the MLB, change the thinking on trading Fulmer? In 2020 Fulmer will still be cheap, and have three more seasons of control. 

If Fulmer pitches like he did in the past month, I don't really want him on my team. His ERA is 6.89 in his last 6 starts. Yikes!  

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Today was his highpoint.  

He is very young. He might not pitch as well as today but a 4-5th starter on a good staff? I can see that

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We'll trade all of our excess starting pitching for a plethora of position prospects.

29 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It all sounds good. But keep in mind, our number one offensive spark plug will be gone then. VMart will be hard to replace.

57 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

If Fulmer pitches like he did in the past month, I don't really want him on my team. His ERA is 6.89 in his last 6 starts. Yikes!  

Another problem is unless he can start winning, the analytics people are going to hammer Fulmer's trade value for not spinning his FB.

20-20 hindsight - it's looking like they should have moved him last winter (which I freely admit I thought would have been dumb at the time) - his trade value is probably plummeting this season. He needs a better 4 seamer and a slower off-speed pitch  - and quickly.

54 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Matt Manning might never start an MLB game.  Pitch in relief?  Prolly

Not true.  Not true at all.    ALL of our prospects are going to pan out.   Every single one.      

I remember in 2007 I had visions of a dominant 2010 rotation headlined by Verlander, Bonderman, Andrew Miller and Porcello.   Verlander held up his end of the bargain atleast. 

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember in 2007 I had visions of a dominant 2010 rotation headlined by Verlander, Bonderman, Andrew Miller and Porcello.   Verlander held up his end of the bargain atleast. 

It was a well founded if premature vision. Three of those four ended up pretty well and Bonderman was done in by injury as much as anything.

It's a measure of the Tiger's impatience in the elder Ilitch era that Tigers wouldn't wait for Porcelllo or Miller to get to where they were going to get. I suppose in Miller's case maybe it was so long they would have lost him in a rule 5 or as a minor league FA.

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Matt Manning might never start an MLB game.  Pitch in relief?  Prolly

Given the increasing importance of relief pitching and that you need to find 1.5 relievers for every starter, having guys fall to relief is not the end of the world. And I think starting in the minors is a better way to groom relievers anyway - they get more IP which most guys need to develop their command. I think it's the exception to the rule to think many guys  can come to the majors with less than 250 MiLB IP (a minor league career for a reliever) and have MLB level command.

17 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It was a well founded if premature vision. Three of those four ended up pretty well and Bonderman was done in by injury as much as anything.

It's a measure of the Tiger's impatience in the elder Ilitch era that Tigers wouldn't wait for Porcelllo or Miller to get to where they were going to get. I suppose in Miller's case maybe it was so long they would have lost him in a rule 5 or as a minor league FA.

I had high hopes for Mark Fidrych, Dave Rozema, Fernando Arroyo and Bob Sykes  

Just now, tiger337 said:

I had high hopes for Mark Fidrych, Dave Rozema, Fernando Arroyo and Bob Sykes  

Rozema did himself in in that dumb brawl didn't he? I suppose today Fidrych would have a valid management malpractice case against the Tigers....👨‍⚖️

Can't say I was ever excited by Sykes or Arroyo.

32 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Rozema did himself in in that dumb brawl didn't he? I suppose today Fidrych would have a valid management malpractice case against the Tigers....👨‍⚖️

Can't say I was ever excited by Sykes or Arroyo.

I  remembered Sykes pitching two consecutive CG shutouts, so I looked him up on B-Ref to make sure my memory was not fooling me.  It was his first two starts of 1978.  He turned into a very valuable trade commodity.  He was dealt for Aurelio Lopez and Jerry Morales after the season.  A couple years later, the Cardinals traded him to the Yankees for Willie McGee.  

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

This. This is why you draft Mize, this is why you draft more pitchers today, next year, etc, etc, etc...

If ONE of our current "big gun" pitching prospects is in the rotation in 2020, then that will be successful.  This is why rebuilds are difficult, they suck, and why people advocate tanking.

Me personally, I'm hoping we buck the trend and TWO of our prospects become a #2 and #3 starter, and we enter the fray for an ace as well as trading our other pitching prospects for position players and FAs.  This is how we will be competitive "early" as they say.  

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Another problem is unless he can start winning, the analytics people are going to hammer Fulmer's trade value for not spinning his FB.

20-20 hindsight - it's looking like they should have moved him last winter (which I freely admit I thought would have been dumb at the time) - his trade value is probably plummeting this season. He needs a better 4 seamer and a slower off-speed pitch  - and quickly.

I suspect they were more than willing to trade over the winter. My guess is that the offers were not there. 

Fulmer hasn't been very good since like the AS break last year. Not sure what his value would be unless he has a good month and a half, starting now. 

8 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Fulmer hasn't been very good since like the AS break last year. Not sure what his value would be unless he has a good month and a half, starting now. 

RIght. The Tiger staff needs to get him fixed - and of course if they succeed we would want to keep him....

15 hours ago, DubTownTigersFan said:

FUlmer has always been young enough to keep, but you are seeing that you may have missed out on selling high.