Keepleyland2

5/31 @1:10 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim vs Detroit Tigers

How about these guys knocking on the door of .500 a third of the way into the season? A little unexpected. Very pleasing. Unless you were banking on another 1-1 pick for next year?

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

"Ronny Rodriguez is a STAR" -    Gabe Alvarez 

I still remember the headline in the paper the next day after he hit two homers against I believe the Cardinals.  All it said was "Gabe Ruth" lol weird how you can remember the most insignificantb things 

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Good series. Tigers get it done.

And no "poor opponent" justification.   The beat a good team 3 of 4.

5 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

XRays negative on the Candy Man.

Carpenter to the DL.

Who can take fastball

Take it on the hand

Who can pass an x-ray and an in-house C.T. scan

The Candy Man

The Candy Man can.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I still remember the headline in the paper the next day after he hit two homers against I believe the Cardinals.  All it said was "Gabe Ruth" lol weird how you can remember the most insignificantb things 

That's what I was thinking of when I posted that.  That headline.   

I will always remember the picture caption 

"Bird takes flight during anthem"   With a picture of Mark Fidrych jumping up with his hat over his heart - as he'd often do before games because he'd be so keyed up.    It was his first game back in 1977 after the injury.  It was a Friday night game and the whole town was buzzing.  It was against Seattle.    

29 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That goose is like the Tabu that Greg Brady found on the Hawaiian vacation.   They think it's good luck, but it's a curse.   The Goose Of Death !

Gum Time was real.  

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How about these guys knocking on the door of .500 a third of the way into the season? A little unexpected. Very pleasing. Unless you were banking on another 1-1 pick for next year?

Maybe it's just low expectations take the edge off everything, but so far this year it seems it's more enjoyable to watch this team, which will often get out scored but seems to play the game pretty cleanly, compared to some of our past teams that would could put up a lot more runs but played the game so sloppily that they were constantly giving runs back. Even Goodrum is making good plays, which seemed improbable after his first few games - though he did make a boneheaded base running play today.

• Like 1

Even though their record isn't terribly better than I thought it would be I am surprised that they are where they are right now given the circumstances.  I would've thought it would have taken Miggy and V-Mart to return to a semblance of their former selfs and somebody like Norris to break out.  Instead none of that happened, even Fulmer has struggled.  Candy has been good but he also has missed some time.   Really only Boyd and to a lesser extent Castellanos have played way over their heads. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I could easily see them lose 100 games.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Maybe it's just low expectations take the edge off everything, but so far this year it seems it's more enjoyable to watch this team, which will often get out scored but seems to play the game pretty cleanly, compared to some of our past teams that would could put up a lot more runs but played the game so sloppily that they were constantly giving runs back. Even Goodrum is making good plays, which seemed improbable after his first few games - though he did make a boneheaded base running play today.

Totally.  I was pessimistic enough that I didn’t re-up my MLB premium subscription this year and only have the radio package.  if they have their usual steep Father’s Day weekend sale I might actually spring for TV anyway. 

I just thought this team would be merely bad, but they have a lot of moxie, and add to that the fact that they play terrific and surprisingly good ball on occasion and it makes them genuinely worth caring about. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I could easily see them lose 100 games.

I think the group in the field is probably safe. Liriano and Fiers are obvious trade bait, but who knows who else on the pitching staff might get dealt. If Al starts dealing pitchers, 100 loses could be pretty easy.

I feel sorry for the slumping Toronto Blue Jays as they march into town and face the buzzsaw that is your 2018 Detroit Tigers.

13 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Anyone know why Alex Faedo was pulled after 9 pitches tonight?

There was nothing on Twitter that mentioned him leaving early.  All I saw were people saying that he was pounding his FB at 92 with movement. Got beat on a backdoor slider.  Didn't read anything about an injury or anything.

27 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Anyone know why Alex Faedo was pulled after 9 pitches tonight?

Do they put their games through radio? I didn’t see a link on their site. 

I don’t see his name in the boxscore.

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

There was a long rain delay in the Faedo game. 

Ah, thanks! That’s the best outcome. 

3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

And no "poor opponent" justification.   The beat a good team 3 of 4.

-  poor competition

-  about what you'd expect

-  not going to make the playoffs anyway

-  sucks 'cuz we need to tank

Above are some of the statements I've been reading here whenever they play well, basically arguing against any enthusiasm.

Without arguing against the technical merits of those arguments (I really don't care), let me say that the above statements are anathema to me.