Motor City Sonics

Johan Franzen is still struggling.....

I must admit, everytime I see that there has been a new post to this thread I shudder for a second, thinking that if I open the link I might read news that he has committed suicide.

19 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I must admit, everytime I see that there has been a new post to this thread I shudder for a second, thinking that if I open the link I might read news that he has committed suicide.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this thread on top.   For all the idiot radio callers that complain about his contract - The Wings and Franzen never saw something like this coming,  how could they?    I wonder how many other ex players in the contact sports have similar problems and are too ashamed to come forward.   Kudos to him to putting a face on it.   Other players need to see this and see what's happened to Joe Murphy to understand how bad this is.    

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this thread on top.   For all the idiot radio callers that complain about his contract - The Wings and Franzen never saw something like this coming,  how could they?    I wonder how many other ex players in the contact sports have similar problems and are too ashamed to come forward.   Kudos to him to putting a face on it.   Other players need to see this and see what's happened to Joe Murphy to understand how bad this is.    

I have a acquaintance that I'd see a few times a year, really bright engaging guy. Was about sixty in good health when he konked himself on the head pretty hard but not enough that he took a lot of notice of it at the time. It's been a downhill slide about 3 years now. First a year of all the 'regular' physical concussion symptoms - they mostly cleared but the personality shift has now appeared and is getting worse, such that he is separating from a lot of his support. When you see what the effects of even a single concussion can be, it's all the more amazing that so many contact sport athletes tolerate as much as they do so well.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:19 AM, drownwithyou said:

Then Franzén speaks about how much his wife Cicilia has meant to him and that he doesn't understand how she can still be around him, how she has not left him yet.

I can't stop thinking about this and it is heartbreaking 😭

On 5/28/2018 at 9:52 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

He's actually at the top brain rehab center in the country in Colorado.    My friend Christine's husband Dave was just there.  He was the cop that got hit by a car a few months ago.   We always knew Franzen's issues were serious, but it doesn't sound like it's getting much better.   Best of luck to him. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/05/28/johan-franzen-nhl-head-injuries-wife/649351002/

Small World.  I met Dave several months ago with his brother.  Can't say much more because of HIPAA, but amazing guy and wonderful family.  So damn sad and senseless.