Motor City Sonics

Johan Franzen is still struggling.....

I agree the game is being played at a more extreme level, and there are deleterious consequences to that despite it being better or more entertaining (IMO) on balance.  I simply disagree with your basic premise that the game was more open -> less concussions.  I don't think it was notably more open, and even if it were, I don't think that was the driver for fewer concussions.

I think the game is being played much more quickly and at a much more higher developed skill level now.  As a consequence, plays are both created and shut down at a much higher rate than was ever the case.  In other words, seams both open up and close more frequently / quickly -> which leads to more hits and those hits disburse more energy than was the case.  I think that is what leads to more concussion issues.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I agree the game is being played at a more extreme level, and there are deleterious consequences to that despite it being better or more entertaining (IMO) on balance.  I simply disagree with your basic premise that the game was more open -> less concussions.

I don't think I meant to make that direct contention as the main point - I initially agreed with MSCs argument for the reasons there are more concussions - I think it has mostly to do better equipment/helmets allowing guys to play faster/hit harder. I'm thinking more along the line that the equipment has had a lot to do with both in the increase in concussion and changes in the way the game is played - that they are probably more correlates of the same cause rather than cause and effect.

I think the change in equipment leads to faster play, but that has more to do with better skates and better shoulder pads.  I think guys would still try to hit hard even if they didn't have helmets.

15 minute documentary about fomer Red Wing and #1 overall draft pick Joe Murphy who is now homeless in Kenora, Ontario.    This is very sad.    And this could be the result of a serious head injury.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:12 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

15 minute documentary about fomer Red Wing and #1 overall draft pick Joe Murphy who is now homeless in Kenora, Ontario.    This is very sad.    And this could be the result of a serious head injury.

That video has been pulled. Here's a link to the TSN video: https://www.tsn.ca/video/tsn-original-finding-murph~1466368

I couldn't stand Trevor Kidd's ridiculous goalie pads, but credit to the man.  Few would do that for someone they don't know.

usa-today-8826576.0.jpg

kidd.jpg

9016-1263928Fr.jpg

For those who have not seen the video,  Trevor Kidd had people tell him that Joe Murphy was homeless and living in Kenora, Ontario (near Winnipeg, about 2 hours from where Kidd lives).   Kidd, with a film crew, went to Kenora and found Joe walking the streets.   He went and asked if an interview was okay and Joe said yes.    He's unrecognizable.   He's clearly suffering from some kind of mental illness or drug problem and it's shocking to see him.   He took at least one very hard hit to the head (courtesy of his ex-teammate Shawn Burr) and his family said he was different after that.    After the 15 minute video the TSN host said that Kidd, who hardly knew Joe, frequently visits him to bring him clothes and food and several current and former players have reached out to TSN offering help for Joe.    I hope he takes it.   I hope he gets in touch with his family.    Sounds like years ago, not long after he retired, he reached out to the NHL for help and they basically told him that since he's retired he was out of luck and I totally believe him because I know another former NHL player who was told by the league that they couldn't help with his many knee surgeries because he was no longer active.     

Joe was a part owner of the minor league team in Albuquerque (New Mexico Scorpions).  Our radio station had several people from Michigan and Minnesota working there so we had a great relationship with the new team and went to games frequently and knew all the players and personnel.   I sat with Joe's father Pat for most of a game once and he had a lot of great stories about Joe.   This was at the time Joe was going through some strange intestinal illness where he'd lost about 30 pounds and his career was in jeopardy.   A year later I went on a road trip to St. Louis to see a Wings playoff game.   The Wings eliminated the Blues that night and we wound up in some bar where a bunch of Blues players were.  Met Chris Pronger, who was super nice to us Wings fans (local Windsor guy) and talked to Joe about meeting his dad and he was really,  nice asked me if his dad talked my ear off.   

On 8/26/2018 at 5:16 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

For those who have not seen the video,  Trevor Kidd had people tell him that Joe Murphy was homeless and living in Kenora, Ontario (near Winnipeg, about 2 hours from where Kidd lives).   Kidd, with a film crew, went to Kenora and found Joe walking the streets.   He went and asked if an interview was okay and Joe said yes.    He's unrecognizable.   He's clearly suffering from some kind of mental illness or drug problem and it's shocking to see him.   He took at least one very hard hit to the head (courtesy of his ex-teammate Shawn Burr) and his family said he was different after that.    After the 15 minute video the TSN host said that Kidd, who hardly knew Joe, frequently visits him to bring him clothes and food and several current and former players have reached out to TSN offering help for Joe.    I hope he takes it.   I hope he gets in touch with his family.    Sounds like years ago, not long after he retired, he reached out to the NHL for help and they basically told him that since he's retired he was out of luck and I totally believe him because I know another former NHL player who was told by the league that they couldn't help with his many knee surgeries because he was no longer active.     

Joe was a part owner of the minor league team in Albuquerque (New Mexico Scorpions).  Our radio station had several people from Michigan and Minnesota working there so we had a great relationship with the new team and went to games frequently and knew all the players and personnel.   I sat with Joe's father Pat for most of a game once and he had a lot of great stories about Joe.   This was at the time Joe was going through some strange intestinal illness where he'd lost about 30 pounds and his career was in jeopardy.   A year later I went on a road trip to St. Louis to see a Wings playoff game.   The Wings eliminated the Blues that night and we wound up in some bar where a bunch of Blues players were.  Met Chris Pronger, who was super nice to us Wings fans (local Windsor guy) and talked to Joe about meeting his dad and he was really,  nice asked me if his dad talked my ear off.   

That's such a shame. The NHL has a long way to go in the compassion department. Not the players, but those in charge of the league. 

I'd forgotten that Murphy left the league on such a strange note- getting injured while in an altercation outside a bar while with the capitals. He sued for workers comp because he was traveling on team business, but lost the suit. He never played hockey again. Even back then you have to wonder if he had some mental issues going on. 

This whole homeless situation is one of those stories that, had it broke when Mike Ilitch was still alive, I believe he would have done something to try to get Joe some help. While I have nothing against Chris Ilitch (seems like a fine guy), Mike drafted Joe and had history with him. I like to think he would have tried to help him. I would like to see the wings make some sort of public outreach to try to help him.