84 Lives!!!

2018 Trade Deadline Thread: (Perfect Fits & Crazy Rumors):

31 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Good.  #$&@ KC!

of course, that just set the market for Greene.

Yeah, I wonder about that. Kelvim is better. Greene is cheaper and under control for a lot longer.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Vomit. No need for more blah minor leaguers 

Second that.  Of course, it's Bowden.  If he could get a front-office job again he wouldn't be writing a column.

18 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Second that.  Of course, it's Bowden.  If he could get a front-office job again he wouldn't be writing a column.

Bowden is as dim as they come.  

On 6/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, Shelton said:

No one will give up anything for him. But on the bright side, he wouldn’t cost too much to keep around if they want to.  

This is actually the time if they think nick is part of the future to offer up one of those 6-8 yr contracts and a team friendly price to lock up a solid young hitter.

fangraphs not impressed with the return for KH

The prospect package seems to be light, but rentals generally don’t fetch a blockbuster. What surprises me more than anything is that this happened on June 18. It doesn’t surprise me that the Nationals would want Herrera for five or six extra weeks. It surprises me that, on so early a date, the Royals would settle.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/royals-hastily-trade-kelvin-herrera-to-nationals/

1 hour ago, mike06181 said:

This is actually the time if they think nick is part of the future to offer up one of those 6-8 yr contracts and a team friendly price to lock up a solid young hitter.

He’s a future DH.  We already have a guy who will occupy that spot for the next 5 years.

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

We already have a guy who will occupy that spot for the next 5 years.

That recently is seeming like less than a 50/50 propositition.

Breaking it down by years of control:

FREE AGENTS. Liriano: needs to get off DL so he can be traded for whatever you can get. Iglesias: trade him if you can get something decent, but not certain that he won’t be back in 2019. Victor: zero value, if not negative value

1.5 YEARS OF CONTROL. Nick: nice to trade him before his defense collapses but unlikely; supply will limit chance, quality of trade. Martin: nice to trade him before his offense collapses but unlikely; demand will limit chance, quality of trade. Fiers: having a solid year; cannot expect much in return. Wilson and Coleman: probably worth more to Tigers than what you get back in trade

2.5 YEARS. Greene: best shot a big trade; Houston, St. Louis, Philly? McCann: no one is trading much for him, trade him if you can get something decent, little difference with Hicks/Greiner/Rogers in the near future. Zimmermann: nope!

3.5 YEARS. Hardy: a few good starts won’t get much in return

4.5 YEARS. Fulmer: sell-high point probably is not this summer. Boyd: sell-high point probably is this summer; but hard to see any fit with Seattle. Hicks: worth much more at C than 1B

5.5 YEARS. Jimenez: would bring a YUGE return

Jimenez is an interesting name that hasn't really been brought up much but he may be somebody to consider shopping.  He obviously has enough time to still be able to contribute when we're looking to compete  again but considering how volatile relievers are do we want to take that chance?   It would have to be a real blow away package to deal him but it is definitely something to consider.  

We seem to need middle infielders real bad. Shortstop and second. Who is our top hopes here ? Lugo and Alacantar ? Thin to say the least. Given all the good shortstops at the major league level, which is why we can not trade Iglesias, there must be teams two or three deep in the minors we can deal with. 

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jimenez is an interesting name that hasn't really been brought up much but he may be somebody to consider shopping.  He obviously has enough time to still be able to contribute when we're looking to compete  again but considering how volatile relievers are do we want to take that chance?   It would have to be a real blow away package to deal him but it is definitely something to consider.  

Almost as silly as your trade Mize for a bat idea

4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Almost as silly as your trade Mize for a bat idea

Not sure why trading Mize for a bat is such a bad idea.     I didn't say to give him away for an inferior prospect, all I said was that considering how ready Mize is that a contender may be willing to give up a superior positional prospect for him that may be not as far a long.      

As far as this idea,  again how many relievers put together 4 or 5 great seasons in a row?  Not very many, if we can get  a good package for him now why not take it?   History suggests that Jimenez isn't going to be good by the time we are competitive again.  

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure why trading Mize for a bat is such a bad idea.     I didn't say to give him away for an inferior prospect, all I said was that considering how ready Mize is that a contender may be willing to give up a superior positional prospect for him that may be not as far a long.      

As far as this idea,  again how many relievers put together 4 or 5 great seasons in a row?  Not very many, if we can get  a good package for him now why not take it?   History suggests that Jimenez isn't going to be good by the time we are competitive again.  

Cause if you keep trading players away in year 1, you're never going to have enough guys to get to year 2.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Cause if you keep trading players away in year 1, you're never going to have enough guys to get to year 2.

Of course, that's not including the players that you acquired in those trades.  

20 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Of course, that's not including the players that you acquired in those trades.  

If your just trading everybody when they have a good first or second year it doesn't matter what you get back. You will never have enough guys to build a team. You'll just be trading the 2 good ones and watching 4 flame out. 

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

If your just trading everybody when they have a good first or second year it doesn't matter what you get back. You will never have enough guys to build a team. You'll just be trading the 2 good ones and watching 4 flame out. 

What if Mize flames out?  I understand that they aren't trading Mize because teams don't want to trade their blue chippers any more than the Tigers do, but I don't understand your reasoning.  

15 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

So it's your lack of faith in Avila to get anything good in return.  You have faith in him identifying talent in the draft, but not in the trade market.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

What if Mize flames out?  I understand that they aren't trading Mize because teams don't want to trade their blue chippers any more than the Tigers do, but I don't understand your reasoning.  

My point (on the trading Jiminez, the Mize thing was just a wise crack at another bad idea by Randy) is that if you are trading people like Jimenez time and time again you're never going to have enough good players to become a winning team. 

Because all your going to be doing is trading players the first sign they are good. Player X has 5 years of team control, is good and the return would be nice. OK, well now we've added player Y and Z. Problem is prospect don't always work so now player Z sucks and we are left two years later with player Y with 5 years of control and again in the same boat. So now let's trade Y for two guys  and the cycle goes on and on. 

At some point you need to keep good players. Like a Jiminez when they are good and cost controlled so you have enough good players to put together to form a good team. 

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

So it's your lack of faith in Avila to get anything good in return.  You have faith in him identifying talent in the draft, but not in the trade market.  

No. Never said that. ( I know you're new but I've been one of the biggest Avila supporters on here)

But, at some point you have to keep good players don't you if you want a good team? That is my point. If we keep trading away all the good players its going to be hard to have enough of them to make a good team. 

37 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

No. Never said that. ( I know you're new but I've been one of the biggest Avila supporters on here)

But, at some point you have to keep good players don't you if you want a good team? That is my point. If we keep trading away all the good players its going to be hard to have enough of them to make a good team. 

But if you're trading good players for good players, doesn't it even out?  

No, because even most good players take some time to reach their peak - you just can't turn over young players for even younger players year after year and suddenly be good one year. Once you clear out the deadwood the path the getting better is to build by keeping everyone who is young and good unless you can see that you can't sign them/hold them. If Houston rolls over Altuve sometime in his early years as as 1 WAR player, he breaks through as a star for some other team.

• Like 1

Here's the thing with Jimenez.  He's a reliever.  A very good and cheap reliever right now with a good deal of value.  They better move him now before the baseball gods come to the realization that there is a Tiger reliever that is being out of line and they put a video game guitar in front of him and the kid ruins himself.  

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

No, because even most good players take some time to reach their peak - you just can't turn over young players for even younger players year after year and suddenly be good one year. Once you clear out the deadwood the path the getting better is to build by keeping everyone who is young and good unless you can see that you can't sign them/hold them. If Houston rolls over Altuve sometime in his early years as as 1 WAR player, he breaks through as a star for some other team.

This guy gets it.

We can sell off useless pieces like Fiers and Liriano. Fulmer is kinda the wild card. After that we need to keep our young players. Cause the wave of help is a coming. we don't want to be rebuildinging forever.