84 Lives!!!

2018 Trade Deadline Thread: (Perfect Fits & Crazy Rumors):

20 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You never, ever have enough pitching

You also never, ever have enough hitting and fielding.

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

We won a lot of years with basically no fielding 

Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

We won a lot of years with basically no fielding 

That’s because we had too much pitching and hitting. 

I'm sure if by some miracle every pitcher works out, a young cost controlled starter would have lots of trade value 

59 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You never, ever have enough pitching

That is one of the few cliches that I always agree with.  

41 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Position players can be blocked though.  Pitchers virtually never get blocked.  Teams always need pitching    

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Position players can be blocked though.  Pitchers virtually never get blocked.  Teams always need pitching    

It’s not all that common for position players to be blocked either. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

But you can't use the never ever cliche.  

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

But you can't use the never ever cliche.  

Sure you can. 

4 hours ago, Microline133 said:

...The Tigers are in no way shape or form in a position where they should prioritize positional prospects in any avenue of player acquisition (draft, international, trade deadline) because of some perceived depth in pitching prospects. They should take the best possible prospects they can in any individual acquisition.

Am I "in the ballpark" in what I am asking for in trade return... or "off-base"? 

I honestly haven't read the trades you have concocted in close enough detail to judge that.

32 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I guess it depends a bit if you mean blocked from making the team as regular vs a minor leaguer being blocked from even getting enough games at MLB level to showcase for trade. In the later case I would still say the toughest situation is a starting pitcher. Yes, a high probability there will be an injury somewhere in the season when you can look at him, but it may not be convenient to when you'd like to be shopping him. For position players it depends on where they can play - a decent 1b only guy or a CF only OF (=light bat) that may be good enough to make another team might easily be blocked from winning the a regular spot on his own, but it still isn't too hard to get him some PT for showcasing.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

#FreeSizemore

13 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

#FreeChristin Stewart!

He isn’t blocked. 

pitching and defense win titles...also hitting.

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

That’s because we had too much pitching and hitting. 

Along with a surplus of managing.

2 hours ago, Microline133 said:

I honestly haven't read the trades you have concocted in close enough detail to judge that.

Names:

Nick Castellanos and Blaine Hardy to the Phillies for: either (pick one) of JoJo Romero or Ranger Suarez and Simon Muzziotti (starting to feel this might be a serious undersell...).

Leonys Martin to Nationals for Jefry Rodriguez

and McCann to Red Sox for Danny Diaz

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

He isn’t blocked. 

About time to bring him up? Couple weeks?

16 hours ago, Microline133 said:

We can play on either end of the spectrum when it comes to these pitching prospects....we can be critical (which I actually don't think he was that critical), or we can believe they're all awesome and we're going to have a rotation of five aces once they join Fulmer!

In reality, while this crop of pitching prospects looks damn sexy right now, its not a dominating group and doesn't buoy a bad system that much. Looking at the reality of each one....

Perez - Best of the bunch (by a large margin); the injury shouldn't be a concern, but until he's back on the mound with the same raw stuff, we can't know. He's a potential #2 starter if things break right for him. The risk here is nothing more than the typical risk of a19/20 year old arm in the minor leagues.

Burrows - He's an inning eater at the big league level. No, the strikeouts won't be there in bunches, and that's okay, but it is a significant part of what limits his ultimate projection. You're looking at a#3/4 starter and personally, I think the realistic projection is the lower end of that....a #4 starter with a good fastball and solid overall arsenal. That's a useful piece, but hardly a world beater.

Manning - The velo has come back a bit, though there are still stamina issues so far this year. I'm not terribly concerned with the stamina at such a young age, but it bears watching closely. At this point, he's just as likely to be a hard-throwing reliever as he is to be a mid-rotation starter. There's a massive amount of risk in this profile.

Faedo - The velo dip is concerning, though not a reason to write him off at this point. He wouldn't be the first prospect to lose velo when transitioning to a pro workload and pro pitching schedule. If it doesn't start rebounding in the second half, I'm going to be far more concerned. The control and command are encouraging, but without a bump in velo, the slider-heavy approach isn't going to work as more than a middling starter. There's more risk here with Faedo than was ever contemplated on draft day. Sure, the velo could rebound and we could be looking at a good #3 starter again, but that's a tough bet to make based on what we see right now

We can rattle off a handful of other interesting pitching prospects in the system....Soto, Baez, Funkhouser, Castro, etc., but they're all grossly flawed (as are most non-elite pitching prospects in every system) and are all just as likely relievers as starters, if they're big leaguers at all at the end of the day.

Yes, the Tigers appear to have a lot of pitching prospects, but you need a lot of pitching prospects in order to have any type of depth manifest at the big league level. The Tigers are in no way shape or form in a position where they should prioritize positional prospects in any avenue of player acquisition (draft, international, trade deadline) because of some perceived depth in pitching prospects. They should take the best possible prospects they can in any individual acquisition.

I hear you.  I will still hit a pillow if they draft a pitcher in the 2nd.  I'll be better if they pick some HS players in this draft.  The Tigers take too many college players imo, and need to take some more risks with HS and JC players with upside.

Also, I'm totally not sold on Faedo.  I don't like his skinny arm, his short delivery, etc.  The Tigers have been burned by taking so many pitchers in round one, while other teams like the Cubs have repeatedly hit on bats.  I'm hungry for bats, Tigers.  Luke Burch doesn't do it for me.

16 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Names:

and McCann to Red Sox for Danny Diaz

We need a larger return, McCann owns the Rally Goose.