84 Lives!!!

2018 Trade Deadline Thread: (Perfect Fits & Crazy Rumors):

This is a little early, but...

A thought popped into my head as I was looking at the Power Rankings on ESPN...

I thought... who would be a perfect player to fill a playoff team's, or hopeful team, needs to go for the post-season? Not looking at our players... but at their rosters/ weaknesses/ team makeup. Didn't look at prospects but, figured that would come into play later. And certainly other teams have players to offer at the deadline... But I'll let AA worry about actually making those deals, against the competition. I just thought, who do we match up with, if anyone at all. 

I just started to take a look, so maybe I'll pop in a couple more ideas here & there... but I'm going to start off with just one:

Philadelphia Phillies. 

Have finally started to become a good team after their "Process". Could use another really good bat (not expensive bat, but a good one...). And maybe a swing pitcher as well (but on the cheapest basis possible). I don't think they're looking for short-term rentals at this point, nor are they looking to drain their farm system, ala Dave Dombrowski, at this point.

So, a really good bat, fits within their team and is under team control for at least a few years, and won't cost a fortune in prospects. I don't know what their philosophy is on the defensive end but, hmmm... sounds like they could really use Castellanos, and maybe someone like Hardy.

So... I propose Detroit trades Nick Castellanos and Blaine Hardy to the Phillies for: either (pick one) of JoJo Romero or Ranger Suarez (good LH'd pitchers who look like they could make a rotation...), and Simon Muzziotti... a lower level upside OF'er.

I welcome any and all commentary in this thread...

If the Tigers could acquire this Ver Landre guy from Houston, they might be able to close the gap on Cleveland.

I’m going to go cry in a corner now.

I agree. It’s too early for this thread. 

I don't mind the thread, one of the more interesting things going on is whether a guy like Liriano, Fiers, or Greene, can build up enough value for the Tigers to get some useful prospects.

Apparently kind of crappy but affordable players are way more valuable than expensive but all time great players, based on last year's deadline, so I think there are some possibilities here.

Second Proposal (yeah... I hear you guys on the earliness of the thread... but think it will pick up steam as we get closer to the deadline... and I'm bored... So) for:

Nationals. Need a CF'er. Don't need an All-Star there, but someone capable, and maybe with some flexibility. 

Leonys Martin is perfect fit, at a cheap (relatively) cost to them: proposal to trade Martin to the Nationals for Jefry Rodriguez. A late-inning BP candidate with a power FB but a killer curve. A starter for now, but I think a better candidate for the BP, and will play much much better in the BP. Even if he fixes his Changeup (heard that one before?), still a better candidate for the BP than as a fringe starter that won't be able to displace Manning/ Burrows/ Faedo/ etal...

Along the lines of what you just said Pyro...

I think there will be a demand for guys like Martin, Castellanos, Boyd, Fiers, Liriano, etc... As long as we're not asking for an arm & a leg...

Couple other thoughts:

Greene needs to pitch a whole lot better to get any demand. It'll be tough for any team to commit prospects to someone who is struggling as he is at this point. Unless he heats up before the deadline, we may have to wait out until the offseason or next year's trade deadline to generate decent offers for him... Still a lot of time left though (two months), before the deadline.

Chicago, Atlanta, Brewers & Pirates (probably moreso in the offseason than the deadline for the Pirates) all need starting help. So that could open up the market for a decent prospect or two for Liriano/ Fiers/ Boyd... maybe even Hardy for some team looking for a back end/ cheap/ swing type of pitcher. Not certain any team is looking to empty their farm for Fulmer just yet... We may be better off holding on to him for now. In fact, I'm inclined to think we should do just that.

We don't have much to offer any team looking for BP help.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Trout would be a perfect fit for the Tigers.

I think they’d have to move Jones first.

• Like 1

But what if you could trade him for three Michael Fulmers?

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Do we get to keep Niko?

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

And then take those three Michael Fulmers and trade each of them for three more Michael Fulmers.  Nine Michael Fulmers. That’d be a nice pitching staff.  What is Avila waiting for?

Just now, Casimir said:

And then take those three Michael Fulmers and trade each of them for three more Michael Fulmers.  Nine Michael Fulmers. That’d be a nice pitching staff.  What is Avila waiting for?

tenor.gif?itemid=5550656

Speaking of way-to-early... these came out before the season began, in case anyone was interested in them anyways (not much on Detroit... and all about Fulmer, which looks like it will need to wait a year, or at least until the offseason...):

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22825332/way-too-early-mlb-trade-deadline-preview-which-buyers-all-in

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22724491/way-too-early-mlb-trade-deadline-preview-which-stars-sellers-deal

The Red Sox could use a catcher and the Tigers have 3, with Greiner already sent back to AAA.  McCann hasn't been horrible, I can see a fit here.  

Maybe we could talk them out of Dan Diaz for McCann? Not likely... but give it a shot Al. You know Dave will overpay to fix a position...

I don’t think 84 Lives!!! expected the Spanish Inquisition. 

Please stop asking for pitching.  This farm has more pitchers than a farm has hay.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Please stop asking for pitching.  This farm has more pitchers than a farm has hay.

It has pitching but outside of Mize(assuming we draft him) can we really count on any of them?  Perez is injured, Manning is struggling, Faedo's velo is down, Burrows has been alright but his K:BB ratio is something to be desired.   I know I'm being really critical of them and they could easily turn it around but right now I would venture a guess none of them outside of Mize would crack any experts top 50.  So even though our pitching prospects are better than the positional ones I don't think we're in the position to turn down pitching prospects. 

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Nothing wrong with asking for pitching.  But ask for position players, too.

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

It has pitching but outside of Mize(assuming we draft him) can we really count on any of them?  Perez is injured, Manning is struggling, Faedo's velo is down, Burrows has been alright but his K:BB ratio is something to be desired.   I know I'm being really critical of them and they could easily turn it around but right now I would venture a guess none of them outside of Mize would crack any experts top 50.  So even though our pitching prospects are better than the positional ones I don't think we're in the position to turn down pitching prospects. 

This is way way way way too critical. 

Perez was top 50 before the year and Manning and Feadeo weres on the cusp. Perez got hurt, so what so do lots of pitchers. It doesn't automatically move them to none prospects. It's just an injury many time players recover, you know. 

Manning is a 20 year old pitching in a league against 24 year olds. He ha a 3.82 era a 1.4 whip and has 14k/9. Sure the walks are a little high, but that's to be expected from any 19 year old. Beau has a 1.1 whip. H'es never gonna be a 200 strike out guy. Not sure why you are trying to make him into one. Oh yeah he's 21 and pitching in a league where the average age is 25. 

Faedo had a couple of starts with velocity down. But, he also had ones where he was touching 96, but somehow we all just ignore those. 

We can play on either end of the spectrum when it comes to these pitching prospects....we can be critical (which I actually don't think he was that critical), or we can believe they're all awesome and we're going to have a rotation of five aces once they join Fulmer!

In reality, while this crop of pitching prospects looks damn sexy right now, its not a dominating group and doesn't buoy a bad system that much. Looking at the reality of each one....

Perez - Best of the bunch (by a large margin); the injury shouldn't be a concern, but until he's back on the mound with the same raw stuff, we can't know. He's a potential #2 starter if things break right for him. The risk here is nothing more than the typical risk of a19/20 year old arm in the minor leagues.

Burrows - He's an inning eater at the big league level. No, the strikeouts won't be there in bunches, and that's okay, but it is a significant part of what limits his ultimate projection. You're looking at a#3/4 starter and personally, I think the realistic projection is the lower end of that....a #4 starter with a good fastball and solid overall arsenal. That's a useful piece, but hardly a world beater.

Manning - The velo has come back a bit, though there are still stamina issues so far this year. I'm not terribly concerned with the stamina at such a young age, but it bears watching closely. At this point, he's just as likely to be a hard-throwing reliever as he is to be a mid-rotation starter. There's a massive amount of risk in this profile.

Faedo - The velo dip is concerning, though not a reason to write him off at this point. He wouldn't be the first prospect to lose velo when transitioning to a pro workload and pro pitching schedule. If it doesn't start rebounding in the second half, I'm going to be far more concerned. The control and command are encouraging, but without a bump in velo, the slider-heavy approach isn't going to work as more than a middling starter. There's more risk here with Faedo than was ever contemplated on draft day. Sure, the velo could rebound and we could be looking at a good #3 starter again, but that's a tough bet to make based on what we see right now

We can rattle off a handful of other interesting pitching prospects in the system....Soto, Baez, Funkhouser, Castro, etc., but they're all grossly flawed (as are most non-elite pitching prospects in every system) and are all just as likely relievers as starters, if they're big leaguers at all at the end of the day.

Yes, the Tigers appear to have a lot of pitching prospects, but you need a lot of pitching prospects in order to have any type of depth manifest at the big league level. The Tigers are in no way shape or form in a position where they should prioritize positional prospects in any avenue of player acquisition (draft, international, trade deadline) because of some perceived depth in pitching prospects. They should take the best possible prospects they can in any individual acquisition.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Microline133 said:

we can believe they're all awesome and we're going to have a rotation of five aces once they join Fulmer!

Agreed

(it's more fun that way)

25 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

This is way way way way too critical. 

Perez was top 50 before the year and Manning and Feadeo weres on the cusp. Perez got hurt, so what so do lots of pitchers. It doesn't automatically move them to none prospects. It's just an injury many time players recover, you know. 

Manning is a 20 year old pitching in a league against 24 year olds. He ha a 3.82 era a 1.4 whip and has 14k/9. Sure the walks are a little high, but that's to be expected from any 19 year old. Beau has a 1.1 whip. H'es never gonna be a 200 strike out guy. Not sure why you are trying to make him into one. Oh yeah he's 21 and pitching in a league where the average age is 25. 

Faedo had a couple of starts with velocity down. But, he also had ones where he was touching 96, but somehow we all just ignore those. 

I think Faedo is looking pretty good actually. He has given up one or zero ER in 6 of his last 9 starts, 2 in another, 3 once, and he got hammered once (ignoring last night when the rain washed him out after 1). That's not too shabby for guy who told people that he knew it would take him a while to get back into a groove after the very long lay off.

9 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

You never, ever have enough pitching