Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Pistons hire Ed Stefanski as a senior advisor

I will never agree this is something you do simultaneously.  How can you not let your GM hire his own coach?

I'm not sure if Stefanski is the best man for the job, but at least Gores has recognized that he can't run this business and needs others with experience to do it for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I'm not sure if Stefanski is the best man for the job, but at least Gores has recognized that he can't run this business and needs others with experience to do it for him.

People are really down on Gores. But every report I have read said he is very hands off and let SVG do what he felt was best. As a fan, I wanted an owner who doesn't meddle. It is also clear that he is willing to spend money. 

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

People are really down on Gores. But every report I have read said he is very hands off and let SVG do what he felt was best. As a fan, I wanted an owner who doesn't meddle. It is also clear that he is willing to spend money. 

I was very down on Illitch during his earlier days as a Tiger owner.  It was a poor team and the only thing that they seemed to get right was bringing back Ernie Harwell and pulling the bandaid off of the stadium situation.  It could be that he had faith in the wrong group for too long.  Maybe the same applies to Gores, not sure.

2 hours ago, 313DetroitCity said:

So you believe that SVG wanted Blake then and it was not Gores' edict to "go get me a superstar player"?

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So you believe that SVG wanted Blake then and it was not Gores' edict to "go get me a superstar player"?

And if it was all SVG, that's a time when you as the owner, have to step in and stop it. Allowing a desperate GM to mortgage the future of the franchise to try to save his own job is not something that a competent owner would allow. And look where we are now. SVG is out and the franchise and the fans are the ones paying the real price for his gamble.

I still think Gores intention is to eventually flip the Pistons for a huge profit. That’s what he does for a living. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

His actions indicate the exact opposite.

Right, which is why used the subjective term “eventually”. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I believe Gores let SVG operate independent of his wishes. He let SVG cut Josh Smith, knowing he was going to pay dead money for a long time. Sure, he may have said "we need a superstar". But I don't think he got involved in the decision making process. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In the long run we are all dead.

Thanks SVG

I think SVG was desperate to try something big to see if he could fix the mess he created and doubled down by going after Blake. I think he expected to be able to keep treading water and hoped that Reggie could return and those three big money guys could combine to get them I to the playoffs. I don’t think gores pushed for it. I think gores was easily sold on it because it did get him a “star” and he is fine with high payroll and luxury tax. 

And, Gores gave SVG 4 seasons to prove himself. That is pretty reasonable. 

Millen was President & CEO of the Lions for 8 seasons. 

I’m still OK with the Blake trade.   As for this hire, if they hire a coach before the GM, buffoonery.  If they hire a GM or president of Ops and let them get the coach, cool, let’s see how it goes. 

If Gores is looking to flip the Pistons, I'm not sure then leaving The Palace was wise. When Gores bought the team, the most valuable part of the franchise was The Palace. If he was in it to flip a team, why not buy the Golden State Warriors who were also for sale at the time in a better market closer to where his business is located?

They should have hired me as the consultant to find the next GM.

Me: What are your thoughts on the Griffin trade?

Candidate: I liked it.

Me: GTFO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In the long run we are all dead.

typical biggs unsubstantiated claim.