Deleterious

2018 Michigan Football

I would love to have Evans play, but if they think he violated a serious rule, it's good they stuck by their guns.

24 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I would love to have Evans play, but if they think he violated a serious rule, it's good they stuck by their guns.

Since this came from the U and not the team it seems  more likely to me he was just flunking out. There are not many rules to violate at the University level and the sanctions there would be dis-enrollment. The teams get the academic eligibility list ( from registrar's office I think) and if the guy isn't on it there isn't much they can still do. Of course that means they have probably already been trying to get his grades fixed for at least two terms and failed. Back in the day it wouldn't be so mysterious, they would just say he lost his academic eligibility but the confidentiality level of a lot that used to be made public increases seemingly every year.

34 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Since this came from the U and not the team it seems  more likely to me he was just flunking out. There are not many rules to violate at the University level and the sanctions there would be dis-enrollment. The teams get the academic eligibility list ( from registrar's office I think) and if the guy isn't on it there isn't much they can still do. Of course that means they have probably already been trying to get his grades fixed for at least two terms and failed. Back in the day it wouldn't be so mysterious, they would just say he lost his academic eligibility but the confidentiality level of a lot that used to be made public increases seemingly every year.

or he was caught cheating.

and not the school sanctioned "here are all the questions (and answers) on your next test that we will pretend is your study hall" kind of cheating.

but it was probably an inability to get grades.  which means he just must not have showed up for class.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

or he was caught cheating.

and not the school sanctioned "here are all the questions (and answers) on your next test that we will pretend is your study hall" kind of cheating.

but it was probably an inability to get grades.  which means he just must not have showed up for class.

Pretty much. There is a lot of help available. All they really have to do is be willing to put in the time.

I'm thinking Harbaugh came close to crossing the line by even putting out the statement that "This didn't come from the team" because that pretty much telegraphs the reason, which practically speaking is a backhanded violation of the confidentiality of his academic status.