Deleterious

2018 Michigan Football

The lack of the starters is scary because it portends more of that in future.  

19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so now the program has become a joke.

Expectations are not commensurate with reality. 10 win seasons from a northern school in a sport that is dominated by southern talent are a minor miracle in today’s game. 

They could use a better, more creative OC. The D was just gutted by lack of Bush.  That guy has a bright future.  

4 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Expectations are not commensurate with reality. 10 win seasons from a northern school in a sport that is dominated by southern talent are a minor miracle in today’s game. 

nyah.  if ohio state can do it.  if penn state can do it.  michigan can do it.

14 hours ago, Euphdude said:

As long as a northern team doesn't play against any of the good southern teams, at least until bowl season, there's no reason that it can't pile up plenty of wins.  Just have to be the Best of the Blizzard Belt. 

Plus, in the "mid-major" and lower division worlds, some northern teams still dominate, like Boise State and North Dakota State.

At the FBS level this year, eleven northern teams won ten or more games:

Michigan

Washington

Washington State

Army

Syracuse

Cincinnati

Utah State

Boise State

Buffalo

Notre Dame

Ohio State.

For the major-college national championship, can any northern team still consistently be on par with the best of the SEC and ACC (and, for that matter, the Big 12)?  Obviously no.  But there's no reason someone can't be the best of the Also-Rans.  (Okay, Jim Harbaugh might be a reason.)

3 hours ago, six-hopper said:

As long as a northern team doesn't play against any of the good southern teams, at least until bowl season, there's no reason that it can't pile up plenty of wins.  Just have to be the Best of the Blizzard Belt. 

FWIW, ND also got their rear handed to them by Clemson.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when the top brass at UM (the regents and top admin) look out at the world, the peer group they see as their institutional equals are the other schools in the AAU. Of those schools, OSU is pretty much the only one that still ever challenges for national FB titles with the southern schools, about the only one of which belongs to the AAU is UT Austin. When it comes to competing against OSU, most  AAU schools (big 10/Pac 10/Ivies/USC/ND) almost certainly *believe* (whether true or not) that OSU allows their academic programs to be abused by the FB program more and is generally dirtier than any of the rest of them believe they are.

The North will rise again. These are just two unreal teams.  

If Bama wins they will be regarded as one of the best teams to ever play.   Clemson would probably put themselves in the top 10 all time teams with an upset.    

They both feature insanely athletic DL and being able to create constant pressure without blitzing. Defense travels and intense pressure from the front 7 can destroy almost any offensive game plan.     This is a big key to the success of Southern football right now.  Bama and Clemson also have  high end, superstar QB’s and elite players at the offensive skill positions as well but it’s the athletic DLs that make these teams historically special   

It will take a little bit but it’s not out of the question to see other schools put more emphasis on the defensive front 7 as the real skill players.  Especially when it comes to recruiting this should be the main focus.  I can speak for USC who will take 5 or 6 WR in this class and only 3 or 4 DL.  It should be the other way around and it’s this old way of thinking that will leave them and others that think the same way far behind the SEC and Clemson.

I fully believe we will see Jedd Fisch come back as the OC this offseason. Pep Hamilton will be given the Drevno treatment 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hail2mich said:

I fully believe we will see Jedd Fisch come back as the OC this offseason. Pep Hamilton will be given the Drevno treatment 

Anyone associated with Sean McVey and the Rams offense will be a hot commodity for NFL OC jobs this offseason.   

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

FWIW, ND also got their rear handed to them by Clemson.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when the top brass at UM (the regents and top admin) look out at the world, the peer group they see as their institutional equals are the other schools in the AAU. Of those schools, OSU is pretty much the only one that still ever challenges for national FB titles with the southern schools, about the only one of which belongs to the AAU is UT Austin. When it comes to competing against OSU, most  AAU schools (big 10/Pac 10/Ivies/USC/ND) almost certainly *believe* (whether true or not) that OSU allows their academic programs to be abused by the FB program more and is generally dirtier than any of the rest of them believe they are.

I'm well aware of what happened to Notre Dame.  It was a consoling bright spot in an otherwise dismal football day.

27 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I'm well aware of what happened to Notre Dame.  It was a consoling bright spot in an otherwise dismal football day.

Think UM basketball Hopper. You'll be able to be happy at least until somewhere in March.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Think UM basketball Hopper. You'll be able to be happy at least until somewhere in March.

Yeah, the basketball team gave me a reason to put my gear on again today.  I should get a Beilein bobblehead to replace all of the Harbaugh ones that I've decapitated.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:06 PM, Euphdude said:

one last thing, michigan is more talented than florida.  the lost this game because they outcoached and outcared.  

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

one last thing, michigan is more talented than florida.  the lost this game because they outcoached and outcared.  

yeah - Maybe the players on the D side have been oversold, but I think they did have more talent on O than the level to which they performed. They just seemed to get more out of sync game by game as they went along which to me argues the coaching staff was working against what the talent could do.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - Maybe the players on the D side have been oversold, but I think they did have more talent on O than the level to which they performed. They just seemed to get more out of sync game by game as they went along which to me argues the coaching staff was working against what the talent could do.

harbaugh needs to update his methods.  when fisch was here, they were innovative.  ever since he left, they've been stale.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

harbaugh needs to update his methods.  when fisch was here, they were innovative.  ever since he left, they've been stale.

Fisch does seem like the difference.  

Had a very interesting conversation with a very cute female from Turkey on my flight back from Detroit today.  She is a U-M Post Doc in Biomechanical engineering.   She was clearly a lab rat: she told me that she left the lab at 1:30am last night.   She said the reason Michigan is so good is that among all the high end universities, Michigan is unique in having NO DISTRACTIONS.    She said that schools like Columbia have New York City as a distraction from pure research.   While that may seem to be a bug not a feature...

This girl clearly is onto something and we should have her along on the recruiting trips going forward.  Particularly the ones with the boys from south Florida who want to know why they would want to go to Michigan to study Kinesiology when they can study general studies for 3 years at 'Bama.  

1 minute ago, ROMAD1 said:

Had a very interesting conversation with a very cute female from Turkey on my flight back from Detroit today.  She is a U-M Post Doc in Biomechanical engineering.   She was clearly a lab rat: she told me that she left the lab at 1:30am last night.   She said the reason Michigan is so good is that among all the high end universities, Michigan is unique in having NO DISTRACTIONS.    She said that schools like Columbia have New York City as a distraction from pure research.   While that may seem to be a bug not a feature...

This girl clearly is onto something and we should have her along on the recruiting trips going forward.  Particularly the ones with the boys from south Florida who want to know why they would want to go to Michigan to study Kinesiology when they can study general studies for 3 years at 'Bama.  

FTR, she spent part of her time trying to see if I could sponsor her for a visa.  

17 days.

What is the length of time Manny Diaz was the head coach at Rutgers?

Diaz is taking over for Richt in Miami.  I wonder if Rutgers takes another look at Don Brown.

10 wins, but who did they beat ?      It's a fair question.   

2nd tier program.   Top 15-20 and that's about it. 

That's not what Jim was brought here for. 

But the season tickets are still selling so he'll stay. 

On 12/31/2018 at 6:25 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

10 wins, but who did they beat ?      It's a fair question.   

2nd tier program.   Top 15-20 and that's about it. 

That's not what Jim was brought here for. 

But the season tickets are still selling so he'll stay. 

they beat penn state, wisconsin, and northwestern.  and michigan state.

they're at the top of the second tier of programs, which is not where michigan fans thought they would be, but its a lot better than the last decade pre-harbaugh.