Motor City Sonics

is Tom Gores the worst pro sports owner in Detroit history?

Seriously. 

This guys a ****.    

First of all, the reluctance to move on from Dumars when everyone knew he'd lost his touch. 

The poorly timed move to downtown. 

The trade for Blake Griffin (sorry if I think Tom forced that upon Stan)

The handling of this Van Gundy thing.   Waiting a month and firing Stan a week before the combine with the framework of it not mattering because we don't have  a first round pick.   Hey, these combines are just as important when evaluating 2nd round picks.  

We've been somewhat spoiled in recent memory.  Mike Illitch was a GREAT owner.   Built great teams, owned the team like he was a fan.   Who cares about the finances, this is why I got rich.   A few bad plays/pitches and he'd have a world series ring.    4 Stanley Cups are pretty nice.      Bill Davidson - also a great owner - he hired great people and stayed out of their way - the Pistons died when he did.   The Fords........Well,  I think they make bad decisions, but there is little doubt about their commitment to the area.   They are too loyal if anything.    Previous Wings owners, the Norris family got cheap at the end and kind of petty too, but in their history they had titles.   The Fetzger ownership gave us great baseball on several occasions.    Tom Monaghan wasn't a great owner,  was cheap with the organization as far as scouting and development and any owner with half a brain would have never allowed Ernie Harwell to get fired.   

And then there's Tom.    Yeah, he's a billionaire.   He's got a great mind for making money (will profit off the sale of the land the Palace is on).   But man, does he suck at owning a team.    I don't even know if people would be upset if they moved to Seattle.   

Not sure you can judge him after only six seasons.

The Pistons won 16 games in Davidsons fifth year as the owner.  They followed that up the next year with 21 wins.

Of course that allowed them to draft Zeke.  And a few years later they hire Daddy Rich and look brilliant.  But at this point in his tenure, I doubt anyone was praising Davidson.  

William Clay Ford Senior will forever be the worst owner in Detroit pro sports history. 

• Like 2

How can any Detroit fan who knows anything about the history of Detroit sports not list WCF as the worst owner in Detroit sports history.

I'm certainly no fan of Gores thus far but it's too early to judge after only 6 years. At least letting SVG go was a step in the right direction although we haven't seen the new hire yet so it could be worse I suppose.

• Like 1

He is spending money.  Brought in a well respected coach with a history of winning.  Brought the Pistons back to Detroit.  Pays for free agents.

This is looking for a reason to hate on a guy you may think is a db because of how he dresses or how he acts or something.

The Pistons are not good...neither is like 70% of the league because all the top free agents are going to the same 4-5 teams every year.

Worst?  He is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Away from being the worst.

Gores could be doing a **** of a lot worse. He does not deserve the title of "worst pro sports owner in the history of Detroit".

He has made obvious mistakes. But he has also shown that he is not afraid to spend money or take risks. Those are two of the most important things to being successful.  

william clay ford will always be the worst owner in detroit sports history.

even tom manahan fell bassakward into a world series before he destroyed the team.

• Like 1

I would say Gores is the worst owner currently. I'll say it, I think Martha Ford is the best owner currently. I feel like she has done everything right even if the Lions don't pan out. I have a feeling Gores forced Blake Griffin. He also seems slow to react and I think he moved the Pistons from The Palace to hastily. 

Assuming he lets him do his job, an owner is only as good as his GM hire. Gores got his first one wrong, which is not unusual. Having now been much closer to the game for 6 years, the bar for his second pick and how he organizes the FO should be higher. And TBH, there was not a lot of criticism of the SVG hire - seemed like a good idea at the time. The mistake was probably making him GM.

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Assuming he lets him do his job, an owner is only as good as his GM hire. Gores got his first one wrong, which is not unusual. Having now been much closer to the game for 6 years, the bar for his second pick and how he organizes the FO should be higher. And TBH, there was not a lot of criticism of the SVG hire - seemed like a good idea at the time. The mistake was probably making him GM.

Yup. If this next hire doesn't work out, then you can really begin to pile on. But he literally hired one person and trusted him to do his job. He was willing to spend money and take risks in the process. 

29 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's a double edged sword. If you don't give him the GM job, he doesn't take the job but if you want him, you have to give him full control and he's never had any experience in a front office role so it was either roll the dice on him or stay out of the game. 

It was a worthwhile gamble for one of the biggest names out there but the gamble didn't pay off and Gores should get the criticism that comes with that failure.

41 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It's a double edged sword. If you don't give him the GM job, he doesn't take the job but if you want him, you have to give him full control

Yes, not having an FO in place and letting them hire the coach is certainly fair game to be criticized - as a basketball pro should have done the coach hiring. And odds are, if Stan is approached by the GM of a team that already has a FO in place, the GM job would never have been an issue on the table.

SVG would only come back to coaching if he received front office control.

Days before taking the Pistons job, he turned down the Golden State job because they wouldn't hire him as GM too.  

On 5/17/2018 at 12:14 PM, Deleterious said:

Days before taking the Pistons job, he turned down the Golden State job because they wouldn't hire him as GM too.  

I wonder how THAT would have changed history. 

On 5/17/2018 at 10:14 AM, Deleterious said:

I guess if Gores had already put a good GM in place, then it's "OK Stan, have a nice life" and he looks for a different coach. I could have lived with that.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:52 PM, Euphdude said:

William Clay Ford Senior will forever be the worst owner in Detroit pro sports history. 

Right on. The worst owner in all of sports, maybe. Just horrible.