Motor City Sonics

40 game mark. Are your expectations adjusted?

43 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

I expected Adduci to have caused a rift between Mr. and Mrs. Avila by now, but perhaps it has happened without much ado.

Jr or Sr?

52 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I expected them to be as bad as the O’s and the White Sox have been thus far. 

The O's and White Sox haven't played the O's and White Sox!

Hate to be a downer, but they are playing bad teams.  Though, most of the teams in the league look to be rebuilding. Or just suck.

this will be an interest trade deadline as fewer teams look to be in contention for playoff spots.  Not sure that the return will be strong enough to move Castellanos, Fulmer or Greene.  However, if we do, the W-L pace we’re on will be impacted.

41 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Hate to be a downer, but they are playing bad teams.  Though, most of the teams in the league look to be rebuilding. Or just suck.

this will be an interest trade deadline as fewer teams look to be in contention for playoff spots.  Not sure that the return will be strong enough to move Castellanos, Fulmer or Greene.  However, if we do, the W-L pace we’re on will be impacted

There was a decent article in the Wall Street Journal  the other day about the preponderance of really bad teams this season. Incidentally, WSJ is where i turn to first for baseball news and analysis.

www.wsj.com/amp/articles/a-baseball-season-with-too-many-awful-teams-1526039142

53 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

There was a decent article in the Wall Street Journal  the other day about the preponderance of really bad teams this season. Incidentally, WSJ is where i turn to first for baseball news and analysis.

www.wsj.com/amp/articles/a-baseball-season-with-too-many-awful-teams-1526039142

Probably better than ESPN these days. 

Half the league is tanking.  More strikeouts than hits.  Baseball the way it ought to be!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

this will be an interest trade deadline as fewer teams look to be in contention for playoff spots.  Not sure that the return will be strong enough to move Castellanos, Fulmer or Greene.  However, if we do, the W-L pace we’re on will be impacted.

Probably not for Greene, 

Fulmer is still dobale, even with all the bad teams, because he is the best player out there. So even with a flooded market he can still get top dollar because he is the only difference maker out there. 

I'm still thinking that anything over 70 wins is gravy.   I think that most of us just want the Tigers to be competitive and maybe spoil a few teams' playoff chances.     

24 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

I'm still thinking that anything over 70 wins is gravy.   I think that most of us just want the Tigers to be competitive and maybe spoil a few teams' playoff chances.     

My main focus on this season is the development of the young players/prospects. They are going to be the core of the next competitive team.  How they work together as a team instead of focusing on individual stats.  And keep them healthy, which isn't exactly going as planned with Norris, Candelario, and Castellanos.  But Niko Goodrum is like the next J.D. Martinez, right?  

12 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Tigers are still 4-11 against teams with a .500 record or better.  They have yet to play the Red Sox, Astros, and Angels and have only played the Yankees once.  

I was one of those people expecting a 100-loss season, but they'll probably only lose 90.  

Oh, ye of little faith.

They could easily still lose 100.

I don't know as that they could easily go 43-78 or worse the rest of the way.  That would be -170 run differential or someting over that stretch.  Are they really 1.5 runs a game worse than their opposition in aggregate? 

For comparison, the 03 Tigers were 2.1 runs a game worse than their opponents over the course of the season.

I know this team is not that good, but I don't think they are that close to being a historically bad team either.

Gardy hasn't made that many notable mistakes managing. So, I guess I could adjust my expectations of him a bit. 

8 hours ago, Scottwood said:

Gardy hasn't made that many notable mistakes managing. So, I guess I could adjust my expectations of him a bit. 

I think this is an example of damning with faint praise.

We could be tied for 1st place after today. Forget the record, not one of us thought we would be THERE at this point. The "Tigers" may not really want to win anything, but these players do. They dont quit.

22 hours ago, tiger337 said:

because Tim Mitchell did and that is who I was responding to.  It made me feel awkward.  

Funny guy.

57 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

We could be tied for 1st place after today. Forget the record, not one of us thought we would be THERE at this point. The "Tigers" may not really want to win anything, but these players do. They dont quit.

The fact they are still in the race is more interesting than their record.  If they were 7 games out, nobody would care about their 19-22-ness

The Tigers are missing a single ingredient, a mere presence, really, to contend.

image.png.f62545e5dc9c344a4ad943f4d21e90a4.png

I have it on good authority that Melissa will return to game threads if that presence were to make his way back to Detroit.

17855826_3eb8df523f_o.jpg

11 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't know as that they could easily go 43-78 or worse the rest of the way.  That would be -170 run differential or someting over that stretch.  Are they really 1.5 runs a game worse than their opposition in aggregate? 

Good point. If Miggy gets and stays healthy, Castellanos nor Fulmer play here the whole year, and Martin, Hicks, Jones, Farmer, Saupold, Liriano, and Boyd all keep performing above their recent career norms and projections as the Tigers begin to play a clearly better level of competition, then they really might not be 1.5 runs a game worse than their opposition in aggregate.

Fangraphs projects the tigers to be -88 over the rest of the season. I don’t think the projections they use are fooled by early season hot starts. 

FWIW, the marlins and White Sox are projected to be -103 and -100 over the rest of the season. 

That’s a -0.73 run difference per game for the tigers, btw.  White Sox and marlins are -0.81 and -0.85. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Do you think they are easily a -1.5 run/game team?

Is it the word "easily" you're hanging me on? OK, I'll bite. Sure, easily. I'll cop to that here and now, and pay for it in October if I have to. Why not.

FWIW, last year they ended last season 44-78 which, granted, is not as bad as 43-79, but you have to admit is close. The level of unlikelihood of their going 43-79 to end this season depends on how substantially better this team is over the long haul of 162 games than last year's team, which included Upton, J.D., Verlander, and overachieving Avila and Justin Wilson for much of that stretch. No way to measure that now. Let's revisit this on October 1 and I'll eat crow if I have to.