Motor City Sonics

40 game mark. Are your expectations adjusted?

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I would not have expected even 17-21 this year. 

And yes, they are bad, but they look to maybe be the best of the bad teams and there are so many of those.   

How about 17-23?

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They are 18-20.    And they've lost several very close games, a couple of plays, just a couple and they could be leading this division, which looks to be easily the worst in baseball. 

But, it leads me to ask - Do you have different expectations now?  

The Tigers are 18-22. Their record is worse than you thought an hour ago. Does that change your expectations?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

How about 17-23?

No, I would have expected closer to what KC is this year.        I was thinking they'd be better than last year with Mahtook and McCann being more consistent.   McCann has come around a little, but doesn't seem to be making the most of things.   Hicks is doing a lot of little things, and smart baseball things that make you want to see more.   And Mahtook......well, he's going to be the roster casualty when they can no longer keep Stewart in the minors (please retire Victor,  PLEASE, I'd rather have Mahtook's athleticism and versatility ).         I would not expect them to even be 17-23 without Miggy for a third of those games and Michael Fulmer being pretty ordinary.      Mahtook is perplexing,  there's a good ballpayer in there somewhere.  

53 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This wouldn't be the first time in the last few years Cleveland's pitching seemed to go into a collective funk, but history says they probably won't stay in it this time either. OTOH, their bullpen problems are real. I think they are a worse team than last year, but as you note, the division is just plain putrid, and that should roughly compensate on their win total.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but:

Cleveland has better hitting than Detroit

Cleveland has better starting pitching than Detroit

Cleveland has better defense than Detroit

Cleveland has better baserunning than Detroit

Cleveland may, or does, have bullpen issues, but it ain't like Detroit has a lock-down bullpen.

So how is Detroit going to beat Cleveland over the long haul?  What is Detroit's advantage?

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Tigers are 18-22. Their record is worse than you thought an hour ago. Does that change your expectations?

Yes.   Because with the injuries they've had, I would not have even expected that.     This team is entertaining and they are in every game and that makes me raise expectations, at least a little bit.   It's not so much about their W-L record and what I expect there (I'd raise it to maybe 74 games instead of 68), but the fact that if Cleveland continues their slog, the Tigers can keep us interested through at least half the summer.      Last year they were the walking dead, well before the big fire sale and it was just sad to watch.       And sorry, I did miss the record by two games,  but how appropriate that Sparky's 40 game mark happens on the night his episode airs on WKRP.   See, that's a sign,  this IS the year......for 70+ wins !

No, I would have expected closer to what KC is this year.        I was thinking they'd be better than last year with Mahtook and McCann being more consistent.   McCann has come around a little, but doesn't seem to be making the most of things.   Hicks is doing a lot of little things, and smart baseball things that make you want to see more.   And Mahtook......well, he's going to be the roster casualty when they can no longer keep Stewart in the minors (please retire Victor,  PLEASE, I'd rather have Mahtook's athleticism and versatility ).         I would not expect them to even be 17-23 without Miggy for a third of those games and Michael Fulmer being pretty ordinary.      Mahtook is perplexing,  there's a good ballpayer in there somewhere.  

KC isn't as bad as you think.

On second thought, yes they are.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Cleveland may, or does, have bullpen issues, but it ain't like Detroit has a lock-down bullpen.

So how is Detroit going to beat Cleveland over the long haul?  What is Detroit's advantage?

Cleveland has all those things,  but they aren't putting it together yet.   I know they did this last year, but hey, it's at least interesting to watch the Tigers.     Much better than being a Red Wings fan the past season.  

Detroit will keep us interested as long as their starting pitching remains solid.

Their run differential is -7 runs, which is a little better than I expected after 40 games.  I expected -15 to -20 runs at this point.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

KC isn't as bad as you think.

On second thought, yes they are.

That was supposed to be the Tigers.        I'd trade places with them in a heartbeat if it means we won the Series in the last few years. 

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Cleveland has all those things,  but they aren't putting it together yet.   I know they did this last year, but hey, it's at least interesting to watch the Tigers.     Much better than being a Red Wings fan the past season.  

How does Detroit catch and pass Cleveland over the long haul with no discernible advantage?

I find the Tigers interesting, but that has little to nothing to their position relative to the Indians for me.

48 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Had the tigers lost last night, this thread wouldn’t be here. 

Really makes you think. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Niko Goodrum.  

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Grit.

Tigers are still 4-11 against teams with a .500 record or better.  They have yet to play the Red Sox, Astros, and Angels and have only played the Yankees once.  

I was one of those people expecting a 100-loss season, but they'll probably only lose 90.  

I don't care what happens as long as Barry gets 100 yards

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How are the 1969 Mets ever going to beat the loaded Cubs?     

I don't expect anything like that,  but can we dream just a little bit?   Please?    I mean we have the Red Wings, Pistons and Lions,  we need something.

Just make this summer interesting.   That goes way beyond my expectations for this season.   

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

As long as the pitching is league average or better, they won't lose 100 games.

It's interesting discussion if they are over-performing or not.  Fiers has a 4.23 ERA and a 5.05 FIP.  Liriano has a 3.35 ERA and a 4.31 FIP.  One, maybe both of them will get traded at the deadline if they continue to over-perform.  Boyd is a nice surprise at a 3.21 ERA/3.62 FIP.  Fulmer is disappointing, but right where he should be, 4.37 ERA/4.33 FIP.  We currently don't have a 5th starter, although Zimmermann was righting the ship in his last couple of starts.  Who knows when he'll get healthy?

As for the bullpen, Greene isn't as reliable of a closer as he was last year.  Jimenez is miles better than last year, but is Gardenhire overusing him?  Farmer has been steady.  Stumpf and Wilson are terrible.  The rest of the bullpen keep getting moved from AAA to the Majors and/or DFA'd.  

How are the 1969 Mets ever going to beat the loaded Cubs?     

I don't expect anything like that,  but can we dream just a little bit?   Please?    I mean we have the Red Wings, Pistons and Lions,  we need something.

Just make this summer interesting.   That goes way beyond my expectations for this season.   

Yes, you can dream.  That is what sports are for.  I allow myself to dream too, but it doesn't change my expectations.  

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

It's interesting discussion if they are over-performing or not.  Fiers has a 4.23 ERA and a 5.05 FIP.  Liriano has a 3.35 ERA and a 4.31 FIP.  One, maybe both of them will get traded at the deadline if they continue to over-perform.  Boyd is a nice surprise at a 3.21 ERA/3.62 FIP.  Fulmer is disappointing, but right where he should be, 4.37 ERA/4.33 FIP.  We currently don't have a 5th starter, although Zimmermann was righting the ship in his last couple of starts.  Who knows when he'll get healthy?

That's the dream.   Keep the summer interesting and then get some viable prospects for Liriano/Fiers/Martin/Iglesias and continue building for 2020/2021.   

No 5th starter?     What is Blaine Hardy, chopped liver?    Wait,  never mind.   

11 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I don't care what happens as long as Barry gets 100 yards

They should trade Niko Goodrum while he has trade value.

I think if they paired Niko and Boyd or Hardy, the Angels will part with Ohtani because they aren't sure if he can keep it up.

Plus Shohei doesn't speak English, so he is less marketable.

I expected them to be as bad as the O’s and the White Sox have been thus far. 

I expected Adduci to have caused a rift between Mr. and Mrs. Avila by now, but perhaps it has happened without much ado.