Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

40 game mark. Are your expectations adjusted?

Recommended Posts

Hi there, 

This team is better than we thought.   They seem to be much better than we thought.   Don't know why?  Is it because more guys have something to prove?  Is it the manager?  

Almost at that famous 40 game mark that Sparky would consider a good sign post. 

They are 18-20.    And they've lost several very close games, a couple of plays, just a couple and they could be leading this division, which looks to be easily the worst in baseball. 

But, it leads me to ask - Do you have different expectations now?  

Several people here thought this was a 100 loss team (I was not one of them, I thought they'd be about 4 games better than last year, so I had 94 losses).    But when they can still load up on games vs. the White Sox, Royals and Twins,  how high can this team go?    If Cleveland continues to crawl through the muck of the AL Central,  should there be a glimmer of the Tigers at least being in it through until the trade deadline when they trade anything they can?    

If this team can stay within spitting distance of first place through to August or later?   This summer will be much better than I thought. 

 

Speaking of Sparky,  his episode of WKRP in Cincinnati is on tonight on ME TV at 9:30 if you want to record it.   Sparky was really good in it too,  he didn't come across as a stiff athlete or coach reading off a cue card - the dude had great natural comic timing and it was a really funny episode (his reactions to interviewing a dim-witted British soccer player were great).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are on pace to go 73-89 and have won close games late as well.

They have played an easier portion of their schedule, but Pythag has them at 19-21.

Taking it all in, 90-loss team sounds about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This team is better than we thought

😘👌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

They are on pace to go 73-89 and have won close games late as well.

They have played an easier portion of their schedule, but Pythag has them at 19-21.

Taking it all in, 90-loss team sounds about right.

What's it gonna take to win this division this year?  84 wins?   How long can they keep things interesting?    I love this team.  They're fun to watch,  they have made me angry several times this year.   Angry is far better than just being bummed like most of last year or totally apathetic like for the Red Wings and Pistons.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say I agree with your assessment of the Sparky episode of WKRP.  You could see he had fun with it and seemed natural / unforced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What's it gonna take to win this division this year?  84 wins?   How long can they keep things interesting?    I love this team.  They're fun to watch,  they have made me angry several times this year.   Angry is far better than just being bummed like most of last year or totally apathetic like for the Red Wings and Pistons.   

I'd guess at least 92 games to win the division.  Cleveland is a very good team.

I think the Tigers are doing the best they can and are a little better than I expected.  But they likely will sell off some players at the deadline as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd guess at least 92 games to win the division.  Cleveland is a very good team.

They are POTENTIALLY a very good team, but they seem to be playing down to the division and without a viable team chasing them, will they meet their potential?    I know it's just a really slow start, but we are entering Q2 of the season and they still aren't really showing much of a spark.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, not potentially - they are a really good team.  Pythag has them at 22 - 18, which is a 89 win pace, and they haven't even gotten going yet.  Plus they get the cake AL Central schedule Detroit enjoys, except they get to play Detroit a bunch of times, whereas the Tigers have to play the Indians.

It would take several injuries and/or guys having uncharacteristically poor seasons to sink to a 84 win team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No, not potentially - they are a really good team.

It would take several injuries and/or guys having uncharacteristically poor seasons to sink to a 84 win team.

But what if several injuries (to maybe a team's 4 best hitters) could actually make a team BETTER?    I can't think of any examples of this............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OTOH if Niko can average a HR per night in the interim, then yeah, they can absorb losing some top hitters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MCS thread. 

Seriously, this team sucks and being 18-20 doesn’t change that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Come back to me in a month or two with the impact of losing 4 top hitters have on a team.

Dude, I was kidding on that.   It's been a flukey two games.     But it's still fun.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no this team still stinks. They are just a bit more entertaining than I thought. And it only reinforces how much work needs to be done to build sustainable contender. So keep trading the assets you have and getting more lotto tickets. You aren't going to pick first in the draft unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kdog said:

no this team still stinks. They are just a bit more entertaining than I thought. And it only reinforces how much work needs to be done to build sustainable contender. So keep trading the assets you have and getting more lotto tickets. You aren't going to pick first in the draft unfortunately.

But that doesn't matter as much in baseball as in the other team sports.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year at 40 games we were 20-20. And that was having Upton, Verlander, Kinsler. Oh we had Ausmus also! 

We are 12th in Fielding %, 16th in pitching, and 3rd in hitting! Kudos to the coaching staff. Better than I thought we would be at this point anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No, not potentially - they are a really good team.  Pythag has them at 22 - 18, which is a 89 win pace, and they haven't even gotten going yet.  Plus they get the cake AL Central schedule Detroit enjoys, except they get to play Detroit a bunch of times, whereas the Tigers have to play the Indians.

It would take several injuries and/or guys having uncharacteristically poor seasons to sink to a 84 win team.

This wouldn't be the first time in the last few years Cleveland's pitching seemed to go into a collective funk, but history says they probably won't stay in it this time either. OTOH, their bullpen problems are real. I think they are a worse team than last year, but as you note, the division is just plain putrid, and that should roughly compensate on their win total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But that doesn't matter as much in baseball as in the other team sports.  

the percentages say it helps you a little bit. But yes getting the #1 pick isn't a franchise saver. What really matters is how they allocate their draft and bonus pool and if they have a productive plan to develop prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an illusion that they are better than they are because people didn't take into account the number of bad teams in the AL, especially the AL central.  Also, being just two games out makes them look better than they are.   

My expectations have not changed.  I still think they are a a 90-loss team.  If they would get healthy and Cleveland continued to suck, things could get interesting.  If things broke right, maybe they could get up to a .500 team, but it's hard to see them doing much better than that without full health.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Last year at 40 games we were 20-20. And that was having Upton, Verlander, Kinsler. Oh we had Ausmus also! 

We are 12th in Fielding %, 16th in pitching, and 3rd in hitting! Kudos to the coaching staff. Better than I thought we would be at this point anyway.

Third in hitting?  They are 15th in runs scored.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the tigers lost last night, this thread wouldn’t be here. 

Really makes you think. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Third in hitting?  They are 15th in runs scored.  

And why are we mixing AL and NL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not a good team. Period.  But I never expected them to be this entertaining, or as gutsy as they seem to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Shelton said:

And why are we mixing AL and NL?

because Tim Mitchell did and that is who I was responding to.  It made me feel awkward.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Had the tigers lost last night, this thread wouldn’t be here. 

Really makes you think. 

I would not have expected even 17-21 this year. 

And yes, they are bad, but they look to maybe be the best of the bad teams and there are so many of those.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×