holygoat

Lions’ Patricia indicted, not tried in ’96 sex assault

40 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I think that's a great way to view it, both of you.  In all honesty I'm probably doing some mental gymnastics to try and make sure I don't find myself siding with Patricia "just because." I want to make sure that I don't just accept his story because, as a Lions fan, I want it to be true.  I want to make sure I'm giving the woman the full benefit of the doubt as well... but as you both correctly put it, outside of more evidence, there's nothing more to do.

It’s ok to end up “siding” with the guy that happens to be affiliated with your team from time to time. It doesn’t make you a misogynist or victim blamer. 

If this “incident” had occurred a few months ago and we were in the middle of the investigation or the beginnings of a trial, then I think it would be a different story. But she isn’t talking right now, so to me it isn’t a two-sided story right now  the only person actually talking is Patricia. It’s not a story because someone came out of the woodwork. It has been public record for 20+ years  

It’s impossible in any situation like this to give both parties the benefit of the doubt. One has to get the benefit, or you can split the doubt evenly 50/50. 

All we know for certain is that Patricia was in Texas as a 21 year old on spring break. Nothing creepy about that. When I was 21, I went to Minnesota on spring break. Maybe that was creepy?

normally i would be arguing with nastro over the quality of the lions' third string guard ("he sucks!  how do you go into a season with such a black hole at such a central position" v "lol.  everyone agrees we have the best third guard in the league.") so this has been quite a different pre-season conversation...

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The media just won't let this story go.

Local or national? 

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The media just won't let this story go.

I haven't seen anything on it in over a week. Nowhere to be found on SI.com front page anymore, and even a Google search of his name shows nothing newer than May 12th on this story.

I read that the Lions couldn't ask him about any crime he was charged with and not convicted of. Since he was a Massachusetts resident, those laws applied. I'm also not understanding the part of the Free Press uncovering this? I thought a private investigator did? If it were so easy to find, why didn't the Free Press find it months earlier before he was announced as coach? How was it never discovered in all his years in New England?

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I read that the Lions couldn't ask him about any crime he was charged with and not convicted of. Since he was a Massachusetts resident, those laws applied. I'm also not understanding the part of the Free Press uncovering this? I thought a private investigator did? If it were so easy to find, why didn't the Free Press find it months earlier before he was announced as coach? How was it never discovered in all his years in New England?

Re: Allowed to ask: I don't think it matters where a person lives.  I think the laws apply based on where the job is.  The Lions said that they employed a company to do the background checks to make sure they were follow federal and state laws.

Re: How was it never discovered: My guess here is that it just wasn't an important thing when he was first hired.  He was a relatively lowly assistant initially... can't ask about arrests, so it didn't come up when he was first hired.

Media didn't look into cause who's going to do background checks on low end coaching staff?  By the time he advanced to a DC no one from the media thought to look into it cause the assumption was that everything was checked by then.

14 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Re: Allowed to ask: I don't think it matters where a person lives.  I think the laws apply based on where the job is.  The Lions said that they employed a company to do the background checks to make sure they were follow federal and state laws.

Re: How was it never discovered: My guess here is that it just wasn't an important thing when he was first hired.  He was a relatively lowly assistant initially... can't ask about arrests, so it didn't come up when he was first hired.

Media didn't look into cause who's going to do background checks on low end coaching staff?  By the time he advanced to a DC no one from the media thought to look into it cause the assumption was that everything was checked by then.

According to Rod Wood, they had to follow Michigan and Massachusetts law. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23481770/detroit-lions-president-rod-wood-says-team-followed-law-matt-patricia-hiring

On 5/10/2018 at 9:18 AM, MAROTH4MVP said:

But as a dude I have made it a point in this life not to bang any random drunk chicks I just met. That is 100% a bad idea. 

This is very big of you. 

I have to say that this hasn't been a problem for me.  

On 5/14/2018 at 9:44 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You are being naïve.

SO long as no one is being glib

tumblr_mef63lsEUR1rjs5yco1_500.gif

Can you believe it? The police department had written notes from the initial investigation. 

Lets spend another 10 paragraphs repeating a bunch of the same stuff we already said.

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

Snell’s new article is vague. It talks about new records recovered but doesn’t say how they were found, or by whom. It is also unclear whether they are in the possession of the News, of the South Padre Island PD, or some other entity. 

Again, maybe Snell likes to stay up late and type people’s names into Lexis-Nexis. Or maybe he has someone feeding him anonymous tips. 

Doesn’t seem that way to me. Sounds like the news requested whatever records the department had (probably under FOIA), and the department wrote to the Texas AG requesting to conceal the records and not turn them over for the reasons stated. They likely sent a copy of the request to the news in response to the request from the news. I think it seems clear that the police have these documents. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Can you believe it? The police department had written notes from the initial investigation. 

Scandalous!

Well people are innocent til proven guilty or so we say. As if something comes out new, then he will need to face justice.Just like anybody else. But for now let him do his job and leave him alone for the time being.