holygoat

Lions’ Patricia indicted, not tried in ’96 sex assault

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

And Jerry is a creep for not going through with the menage.

And the more appropriate gif (which I sadly cannot find) is George's menage a trois gone wrong with his girlfriend and her male roommate.

Jerry wasn't one of those guys, it would have involved growing a mustache,  all kinds of lotions and oils and weirdo lighting............

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hate when people, especially defendants, use the alcohol excuse (not saying YOU are).   If you are the person that took the drink you are responsible for your behavior under the influence of it.    Not an excuse. 

As I understand, criminal law in Michigan has less exemption for diminished capacity than it once did. It has changed over the course of my lifetime. I was serving on a jury during the time when the law on alcohol diminished capacity was in transition and there were cases on appeal. The judge in our case gave his instructions virtually inaudibly and would not provide a written copy. As it turned out we had an attorney on the jury and he clued us in that there was enough ambiguity around diminished capacity instructions that the judge was making sure nobody knew his instructions clearly enough to appeal on them!  True story.

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

And Jerry is a creep for not going through with the menage.

And the more appropriate gif (which I sadly cannot find) is George's menage a trois gone wrong with his girlfriend and her male roommate.

It is all about the ratio. Jerry's ratio was correct.

George's was not.

8 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

It is all about the ratio. Jerry's ratio was correct.

George's was not.

Different strokes for different folks. I too prefer Jerry's ratio (obviously for the hetero male) but I know some dudes who did the Patricia menage in their college days and while not my thing, I wouldn't call it gross and creepy.  There were times when they did it and the woman wasn't even there (I'll give 10 likes to the poster who can figure out which TV show this line was from).

Not sure why anyone would care about the particulars of the menage.

Speculation about alcohol is speculative.

My last thought on the subject because I am listening to the radio on this and something people keep proclaiming is driving me nuts.

"If you are innocent shout it from the roof tops!"  I USED to think like this also.  "You have nothing to hide you were not guilty of anything"...yeah that does not mean you will not be found guilty.  I heard an ESPN guy just talk about how if she tells a 'convincing story' then that will be trouble for the Lions and Patricia.  The court of public opinion should NOT have ANY bearing on cases that have yet to go to court.  This is backwards and mob mentality.

IF she gets up there and 'tells a convincing story" according to the 'experts' that will cause problems.  Patricia could not have done a thing wrong and the Lions would already be FORCED to start thinking about doing something about it before it is even proven IN A COURT OF LAW.  They can site distraction to the team etc.  So they find a way out of Patricias contract due to the story that MAY open up another trial and they move on.  What happens to Patricia if he is found innocent?  Do people just think he 'got away with it' does another NFL team want to bring on that head ache because of the media?

Maybe he gets another job and maybe he doesn't, but it will NOT be a head coaching gig and his chances of getting that job diminishes significantly after the circus is over.  All because of a 'convincing story' which I have been told by the 'experts on the radio' could cause a problem.

The mob has WAY too much power and influence in todays society.  WAY too much.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Not sure why anyone would care about the particulars of the menage.

Speculation about alcohol is speculative.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I think Universities could get a lot further a lot faster on improper sexual contract cases between students by instituting tighter alcohol abuse policies than by trying to write workable sexual conduct rules.

10 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

My last thought on the subject because I am listening to the radio on this and something people keep proclaiming is driving me nuts.

"If you are innocent shout it from the roof tops!"  I USED to think like this also.  "You have nothing to hide you were not guilty of anything"...yeah that does not mean you will not be found guilty.  I heard an ESPN guy just talk about how if she tells a 'convincing story' then that will be trouble for the Lions and Patricia.  The court of public opinion should NOT have ANY bearing on cases that have yet to go to court.  This is backwards and mob mentality.

IF she gets up there and 'tells a convincing story" according to the 'experts' that will cause problems.  Patricia could not have done a thing wrong and the Lions would already be FORCED to start thinking about doing something about it before it is even proven IN A COURT OF LAW.  They can site distraction to the team etc.  So they find a way out of Patricias contract due to the story that MAY open up another trial and they move on.  What happens to Patricia if he is found innocent?  Do people just think he 'got away with it' does another NFL team want to bring on that head ache because of the media?

Maybe he gets another job and maybe he doesn't, but it will NOT be a head coaching gig and his chances of getting that job diminishes significantly after the circus is over.  All because of a 'convincing story' which I have been told by the 'experts on the radio' could cause a problem.

The mob has WAY too much power and influence in todays society.  WAY too much.

I doubt this is a story in a week and suggest not listening to the radio if the callers are driving you knuts.

Every one of these types of news stories is unique. 

This is not a Harvey Weinstein or Matt Lauer or Charlie Rose thing. It’s not even a case where some celeb was accused and there was no arrest or trial but there was a civil settlement. 

A couple things I found interesting. One is that this was not a case where a woman came forward with this information. We have seen a lot of that in the current me too movement. Another is that the news researched this, and had a lot of comments from the prosecutor’s office, the police report, the defense attorneys, and people with the lions. This was not a surprise news story when it dropped. 

Anyone can be accused of something. For it to have any weight with me, there needs to be at least some modicum of supporting evidence beyond an accusation. Multiple accusations. The woman coming forward later to bring it up again. A copy of a police report with actual details, such as other witness statements or a medical report. 

I think it’s clearly newsworthy. Maybe the lions should have asked him directly about an accusations of these type of things. Maybe the background search company dropped the ball. Maybe they did discover it, but investigated it and found no reason for it to preclude his hiring and didn’t include it in their report. Maybe it was in the report and the lions didn’t care about the details and missed it because all they cared about was whether he “passed” because he was clearly the guy they wanted. 

Either way, this accusation as it currently being reported shouldn’t and won’t have any bearing on his position as the lions coach. 

At the end of the day, this is an isolated case of a few kids on spring break who may have made a huge error in judgment, and possibly rising to criminal conduct, where nothing came of it, for whatever reason. 

If the woman comes forward, things may be different. 

We will never know the full truth. If Patricia did break the law, it’s something he has to live with. If he didn’t, he still has to live with the accusation, but he can do so with a clear conscience. 

The other guy thought he was going to have a 3-some with some girl he just met and "someone named Patricia" and when he found out Patricia was a dude he busted the door down to get out of there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What are the odds that the Lions get so much pressure that they terminate Matt Patricia? What a disaster if that happened...

One other interesting thing. The statement that the woman couldn’t face the stress of a trial or whatever the language was reads a lot like attorney speak for a woman that may have made a false accusation. The prosecutor would never say it was a false accusation and the woman would never admit she made one. 

I think his evasion in answering the question about whether there was consensual sex pretty much means they did have sex that night. Not surprising, but he could have simply said it was consensual. I can understand why he didn’t say that. He’s got a family and he doesn’t need to be putting things on the record about having a threesome back in college. 

I do wonder who has the axe to grind against Patricia in bringing this up. Someone tipped off the Detroit news. I doubt anyone at the news decided at this point to start digging into patricia’s criminal background. 

Someone brought up a Goodell angle because of the clown shirt.

2017-07-17t23-30-15.833z-1280x720.jpg?it

A lot of people are asking why didn't the Lions find out, but did the Patriots know? Surely if the Patriots knew then Bob Quinn would have known. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

A lot of people are asking why didn't the Lions find out, but did the Patriots know? Surely if the Patriots knew then Bob Quinn would have known. 

thats a good point.

Non-story. It doesn't matter if the lions "knew" or not, because there is nothing to "know". A man was falsely accused of something. 

And it's not like Patricia was some star athlete at a D1 school that would cover something up for him. He was a lineman, at a D3 school. The charges were dropped because it was a false accusation. If the accuser wanted to bring it up because she believes she was silenced let her. Then we could talk about it. 

The Patriots didn't know per a statement by Belichick. However, Deadspin found it in 30 minutes by doing a lexis/nexis search.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The odds are zero.

Good!

32 minutes ago, kdog said:

The Patriots didn't know per a statement by Belichick. However, Deadspin found it in 30 minutes by doing a lexis/nexis search.

But that's after the story broke that they found out. Then they did their little search to find that information. Would they have looked it up on their own beforehand? 

11 minutes ago, Kamakzie said:

But that's after the story broke that they found out. Then they did their little search to find that information. Would they have looked it up on their own beforehand? 

Lexis does not work like the internet.  It was there before.  Those things can be hard to find though before the design changes.  Been using Lexis over 10 years every day.

32 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Lexis does not work like the internet.  It was there before.  Those things can be hard to find though before the design changes.  Been using Lexis over 10 years every day.

Sure, but I think the point is that it's a bit easier to find the info when you already know it exists.  I think it's pretty weak to call out the Lions saying it only took a 30 second search. It's a little different when you know the end result.

I know it doesn't make the Lions look good, but I think it's a bit silly to say they were completely inept here. It's not like the guys in the front office are the ones combing the web for any skeletons out there, that's ridiculous. They hired a firm to do this exact type of research and it came back clean. How can you fault the team?

The Patriots didn't know either apparently so it's not like the Lions should be the only ones who don't look good. The Patriots also hired Patricia in 2004 when the alleged crime was 8 years old and not 22 years old.