Jump to content

holygoat

Lions’ Patricia indicted, not tried in ’96 sex assault

Recommended Posts


22 yrs ago is pretty well lost in the mists of time. But just from the article - which of course is a poor thing to make any judgment on, I would still have to say that I'm not sure guys 'bursting' through a door out of the blue in an 'upscale' hotel that probably had metal doors that are always locked to the hallway passes the smell test. Might expect an ancillary charge or at least a supporting bill to the team from the hotel for the destruction of a doorway. Unless she was in their room......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A grand jury found enough evidence to indict did they not?

I'm sure you've heard the story about the ham sandwich. It just meant the prosecutor thought he had a case, and as long as he had a complaining victim, he did.

And since the woman still is apparently not interested in coming forward, this doesn't seem like it can go anywhere.

Not to mention that Tx has probably the sloppiest, most abusive and most documented cases of legal miscarriage "justice" system of any state in the Union.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A grand jury found enough evidence to indict did they not?

considering a prosecutor puts on his best case and there is no rebuttal in a grand jury, its not that hard of a burden to meet.

and he wasnt convicted.  getting accused of a crime is not a barrier to employment.  or it shouldnt be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of the merits of the case - or lack thereof - it is a bad look for Rod Wood to be surprised by this. My background investigator better damn well make certain that I don’t get blindsided.

My main question is how is this surfacing now? Did the journalist innocently find this when doing research on the new coach? Or did someone drop this piece of information in the reporter’s lap?

In any event, this is not the last we will hear of this case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

22 yrs ago is pretty well lost in the mists of time. But just from the article - which of course is a poor thing to make any judgment on, I would still have to say that I'm not sure guys 'bursting' through a door out of the blue in an 'upscale' hotel that probably had metal doors that are always locked to the hallway passes the smell test. Might expect an ancillary charge or at least a supporting bill to the team from the hotel for the destruction of a doorway. Unless she was in their room......

Haven Monahan may have been with them and kicked down the door. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Regardless of the merits of the case - or lack thereof - it is a bad look for Rod Wood to be surprised by this. My background investigator better damn well make certain that I don’t get blindsided.

My main question is how is this surfacing now? Did the journalist innocently find this when doing research on the new coach? Or did someone drop this piece of information in the reporter’s lap?

In any event, this is not the last we will hear of this case.  

Yeah, I think Patricia old attorney was making it sound like a "he said she said thing", which is code for it was consensual. However, there was a 2nd guy involved, which is gross. For a supposed rocket scientist he sure is bad with ratios 2 dudes and 1 female is not the proper ratio.

Also the article says they were accused of rape. This most likely was alcohol or drug fueled. In any rate Patricia is at the very least a creep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

 This most likely was alcohol or drug fueled. In any rate Patricia is at the very least a creep.

I hate when people, especially defendants, use the alcohol excuse (not saying YOU are).   If you are the person that took the drink you are responsible for your behavior under the influence of it.    Not an excuse.    But she didn't show up to court and it makes me wonder why and just how serious this is.  On the surface it would seem that if she didn't show up in court then it must not have been worth it, but also there was nothing close to a MeToo movement in 1996 and women were afraid to stand up for themselves.     

It is getting interesting in the world - finding out how people acted is coming back to haunt them.   Actors, Athletes, Politicians, CEOs,.   I am glad to see it happening too.  No excuse to act like that - ever, plus I think it leads to more women in leadership and I think the whole world could use that because the men and their egos have f;ed up so many things  (although I think we'll find that many women that have enough power long enough will allow their egos to get out of control too and they'll f things up their own way). 

     What is REALLY going to be interesting is 10, 20 years from now with so many people having video recorders on them at all times and dash cams and security cams - is how many famous people get burned based on video. How many Presidential candidates will be ruined because of some video from 2013 when they were in college?     But also, by then, will that not play into things anymore because so many people have become used to it.      Remember in 1992 the idea that Bill Clinton smoked pot was a HUGE controversy and 20 years later when Obama was asked if he inhaled he responded "that was the point".      Robert Mitchum's career was ruined for years because of a pot bust, that was a long time ago.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hate when people, especially defendants, use the alcohol excuse (not saying YOU are).   If you are the person that took the drink you are responsible for your behavior under the influence of it.    Not an excuse.    But she didn't show up to court and it makes me wonder why and just how serious this is.  On the surface it would seem that if she didn't show up in court then it must not have been worth it, but also there was nothing close to a MeToo movement in 1996 and women were afraid to stand up for themselves.     

It is getting interesting in the world - finding out how people acted is coming back to haunt them.   Actors, Athletes, Politicians, CEOs,.   I am glad to see it happening too.  No excuse to act like that - ever, plus I think it leads to more women in leadership and I think the whole world could use that because the men and their egos have f;ed up so many things  (although I think we'll find that many women that have enough power long enough will allow their egos to get out of control too and they'll f things up their own way). 

     What is REALLY going to be interesting is 10, 20 years from now with so many people having video recorders on them at all times and dash cams and security cams - is how many famous people get burned based on video. How many Presidential candidates will be ruined because of some video from 2013 when they were in college?     But also, by then, will that not play into things anymore because so many people have become used to it.      Remember in 1992 the idea that Bill Clinton smoked pot was a HUGE controversy and 20 years later when Obama was asked if he inhaled he responded "that was the point".      Robert Mitchum's career was ruined for years because of a pot bust, that was a long time ago.   

I agree with you. If you are stupid enough to drink or take drugs then that's on you. 

But as a dude I have made it a point in this life not to bang any random drunk chicks I just met. That is 100% a bad idea. I still think it is a creepy thing to do especially when he is adding his buddy into the mix. 

Also the fact the Lions said they didn't know about this is a bit absurd. The dude was arrested and his name in the paper. For a high profile job, their background checks are lacking. Makes you question what else is not being done properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dafeafdfe

18 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I agree with you. If you are stupid enough to drink or take drugs then that's on you. 

But as a dude I have made it a point in this life not to bang any random drunk chicks I just met. That is 100% a bad idea. I still think it is a creepy thing to do especially when he is adding his buddy into the mix. 

Also the fact the Lions said they didn't know about this is a bit absurd. The dude was arrested and his name in the paper. For a high profile job, their background checks are lacking. Makes you question what else is not being done properly.

I was the same way when I was younger.   Couple of times I could have done something and I didn't.  Not because I thought one day I would get busted for it, but because it was just plain wrong.     It is a creepy thing to do.     I have been wondering if Matt was a genius or a goofball, this ain't sliding it to the genius side of the meter.    

And how could the Lions not know about this?  Give me a break.   Sure, he's buddies with Quinn, but still, you're paying someone millions of dollars you have to use every resource available to look into the past.   I don't believe the Lions are being honest here.   Just come out and say "We knew about it, there was no conviction, it doesn't take very much to indict someone and it happened 22 years ago with no incidents since then, we feel confidant that he is being truthful".  

Now if just one more thing comes up about him in some kind of sexual assault, he's finished.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The standard for grand jury is basically her saying they did it.  22 years ago....college kids on basically spring break?  <yawn> this is a non story IMO to keep the #metoo movement in the media.  Journalists grasping at straws to keep the movement relevant.

Unfortunately they have to try and keep it relevant because the public is like a dog in a backyard..."look squirrel!"

And I have ZERO problem with people hooking up after a night out.  I also have ZERO problem with 2 dudes hooking up with one chick as long as it is consensual...a night out drinking or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

This most likely was alcohol or drug fueled. In any rate Patricia is at the very least a creep.

How can we even be sure there was a “this”? 

The original charge, that “two men burst into the upscale hotel room where she was sleeping and took turns violently sexually assaulting her,” at best seems surprising, if not implausible, and calls out for clarification. After the Rolling Stone/UVA debacle and the Duke lacrosse scandal, it seems a bit of caution is in order when reviewing such dramatic claims.

A grand jury indicted them, but as mentioned previously, that may say more about the zeal of the prosecutor than the strength of the case. 

The accuser refused to cooperate with prosecutors in the trial. Maybe she was legitimately traumatized, maybe she had other reasons, but clearly she had a sympathetic prosecutor.

In any event, the accuser has every right now to come forward. The #metoo movement has diminished the stigma of speaking out, though it certainly hasn’t made it painless. If there is any truth to the charge, I would hope the accuser steps forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

"

And I have ZERO problem with people hooking up after a night out.  I also have ZERO problem with 2 dudes hooking up with one chick as long as it is consensual...a night out drinking or not.

I don't care either. But it isn't very smart. Also it is gross and creepy.

Quote

Detroit Lions president Rod Wood said he was unaware that Matt Patricia was indicted 22 years ago for an alleged sexual assault

How the heck did he not know this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I don't care either. But it isn't very smart. Also it is gross and creepy.

How the heck did he not know this.

Everyone has their own lifestyle.  Live and let live kind of thing.  Not my bag, but I would not say it is gross just like I would not say whatever your preference is is gross or creepy.  Consensual adults can do whatever they want in the bedroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I don't care either. But it isn't very smart. Also it is gross and creepy.

How the heck did he not know this.

The Lions actually look worse than Patricia here.       Not in the alleged act 22 years ago but the fact that they didn't either know it or they stayed quiet.      I don't know, how can  you hold something against someone when legally it was dropped?   

It was the 90s and things were different then, but it doesn't mean it's alright.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I don't care either. But it isn't very smart. Also it is gross and creepy.

 

Why is it gross and creepy?  If that's considered creepy then there's a bunch of creeps on college campuses.  As long as it's consensual, I don't see what the big deal is and there's no evidence that shows it was non-consensual so it's essentially a non-story.

The question is why were the Lions not aware of this previously?  Who is doing their background checks?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Everyone has their own lifestyle.  Live and let live kind of thing.  Not my bag, but I would not say it is gross just like I would not say whatever your preference is is gross or creepy.  Consensual adults can do whatever they want in the bedroom.

You mentioned drunk or not.   if someone is really drunk can they actually consent?    That's a fair question.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a girl  drunk to wear down her defenses down so you can have your way with her is rape.   Having sex with a passed out or incapacitated person is rape.    Not saying Matt Patricia did that, but it's rape.       I know standards have changed from the 80s and 90s, but there is no excuse for that, not now and not then. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Why is it gross and creepy?  If that's considered creepy then there's a bunch of creeps on college campuses.  As long as it's consensual, I don't see what the big deal is and there's no evidence that shows it was non-consensual so it's essentially a non-story.

The question is why were the Lions not aware of this previously?  Who is doing their background checks?

3t6B.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You mentioned drunk or not.   if someone is really drunk can they actually consent?    That's a fair question.   

I have had my fair share of sex while drunk in my life.  Was I raped?

And I do not think it is a fair question.  Kids go to bars to drink and hook up.  This is how a LOT of healthy relationships start.  Guys getting women wasted while they are sober and taking advantage of them is the minority not the majority.

Answering a question like this is loaded.  What you are seeing in my responses are generalities and you may be speaking about specific circumstances.

Do I think it is cool if a sober dude has sex with a drunk girl?  In some cases no...in other yes.  What if she does not 'look' drunk?  What if they are both drunk?  What if she initiates it?  What if she initiates it and you know she has been drinking?  This has never happened to me so I cannot add experience.

I think their is a fairly easy standard we can all agree is wrong.  That is a dude intentionally getting a woman drunk for the expressed reason to try and take advantage of her to have sex later that night.  I think this happens, but not nearly as much as people think.

I think the majority of hook ups are consensual while one or both is drinking or under the influence is irrelevant if both parties are good with it.

I almost never initiated anything physical with a chick when I was younger making sure she was the person who started it leaves me with a clear conscience.  This never happened when I was sober and she was wasted so I cannot speak to that.

I have had hook ups when I was younger where I was drunk and the girl I was with was drunk.  In just about all cases alcohol was involved.  We were at a bar and things went from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

3t6B.gif

And Jerry is a creep for not going through with the menage.

And the more appropriate gif (which I sadly cannot find) is George's menage a trois gone wrong with his girlfriend and her male roommate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×