drownwithyou

2018 - Red Wings Offseason

It's looking more and more like Zetterberg is finished. If he is, it will be another case of a Wings great leaving or retiring without a farewell tour, even a short one. The last we saw of Yzerman in a Red Wings uniform as a player was limping off in 2006 in Edmonton after an elimination. Lidstrom's retirement in the summer of 2012 took people mostly by surprise. Fedorov's last Red Wings game was in Anaheim as the Wings got swept and then left that summer after a contract dispute.  I forget whether or not near the end of the 2006 season it was expected that pending free agent Shanahan would be leaving.

I guess an exception would be Datsyuk, as people knew by the final regular season weekend and one playoff round in 2016 that that was probably it.

56 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

It's looking more and more like Zetterberg is finished. If he is, it will be another case of a Wings great leaving or retiring without a farewell tour, even a short one. The last we saw of Yzerman in a Red Wings uniform as a player was limping off in 2006 in Edmonton after an elimination. Lidstrom's retirement in the summer of 2012 took people mostly by surprise. Fedorov's last Red Wings game was in Anaheim as the Wings got swept and then left that summer after a contract dispute.  I forget whether or not near the end of the 2006 season it was expected that pending free agent Shanahan would be leaving.

I guess an exception would be Datsyuk, as people knew by the final regular season weekend and one playoff round in 2016 that that was probably it.

Can you blame him though? I can understand players not liking 'farewell tours'

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Can you blame him though? I can understand players not liking 'farewell tours'

Don't blame him at all.  Z can write his own ticket.

I hope Z is getting out before his back is too jacked up for the rest of his life.  He gave a lot to the Wings so let him go on his own terms no matter what.

The Athletic has a nice Rasmussen article, some highlights from https://theathletic.com/491908/2018/08/28/michael-rasmussen-the-once-every-10-years-kid-may-be-ready-for-red-wings/:

His injury last season:

Even as recently as eight months ago, Rasmussen couldn’t shoot a puck. After breaking his wrist in February of his draft year, Rasmussen had fought through lingering issues last fall with the same wrist until he couldn’t fight through it anymore.

Just before Christmas, he settled on surgery.

By the time he returned at the end of January, he was thankful he did and felt like a completely different player. The results supported that sentiment: 28 points in his last 25 games of the regular season as he got back up to speed and an astonishing 33 points in 14 playoff games for a WHL playoffs-high 2.4 points per game.

His Junior GM:

Rasmussen’s positive impression went beyond teammates. Tri-City general manager Bob Tory describes Rasmussen as “one of those kids that comes along once every 10 years.”

Work ethic:

Rasmussen’s work ethic has never been his problem. Off the ice, Tory refers to Rasmussen’s preparation as “second-to-none.”

. . .

“Occasionally you’d like to see him crack a smile. He’s all business 24 hours a day and that’s his personality, that’s what makes him tick. You sort of understand him for what he is and he takes the game very seriously,” Tory said. “He’s going to give it everything and he’s really focused on trying to get better every single day which I think is really going to help him in the long run,” Tory said.

Another thing that stood out to me is that he's put on weight according to the article and he's in the 225-230 lb range at 6'6''.  For reference, Mantha is 6'5'' 225 and he was the heaviest on the team last year.

so how bad is the wings' salary cap? are they still paying franzen? when does zetterburg come off the books if he retires?

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

so how bad is the wings' salary cap? are they still paying franzen? when does zetterburg come off the books if he retires?

They will both be put on LTIR when the season starts so they won't count against the cap.  They will have to be compliant to start the year though, which means some guys to the AHL to start before Franzen and Zetterberg go on LTIR.  If Zetterberg retired the Wings would have a cap penalty of $4.3 million per year for each of the next three seasons, so he won't do that.  That's why Franzen hasn't retired.

When those two are on LTIR they'll have about $6.7 million in space, but it'll be interesting to see how they get compliant before the first game.  Next year is the last year they'll have to do this with Franzen and Z will have one more after that.  The Wings also have something like $21 million coming off the books after this season, and then $12 million in defense alone the next season.  Basically they are committed to Larkin, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, DeKeyser, and Bernier (minus all rookies/young guys) for 2020-21.  That doesn't include the RFA in Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Pope, and Svechnikov though, who will either be back or have a chance to get a new deal.  But I wouldn't say their cap situation is terrible considering they won't be a contender for a year or so.  Holland just has to resist giving out longer term deals to bottom six skaters while these deals come off the books and they add young talent through the draft.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

I believe he has to fail a physical to come off the books THIS season but if he retires, I think he comes off the books right away if he signed before the age of 35 (The Mogilny Rule).  Zetterberg signed his 12 year deal in 2009, so it would clear the cap space immediately.   

This isn't your father's NHL:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhlers-weigh-video-game-culture-fortnite-rage/

That video games, particularly the current rage, Fortnite, are a popular time-killer for young people, including hockey players, is not news.

That playing Fortnite — or, more specifically, broadcasting your fondness for Epic Games’ award-winning cooperative shooter-survival title — could harm your chances of landing an NHL gig is.

Go ahead and get a tattoo, just don’t let it peek out from whatever you wear to that job interview.

“An OHL team employee tells me some players have been advised to scrub Fortnitereferences from social media accounts. Some NHL teams consider the video game a major distraction/obsession,” sportswriter Rick Westhead tweeted Tuesday, to the tune of a thousand likes and twice that many debates.

Another hockey reporter, TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, told Sportsnet 590 that he ran into an unnamed NHL general manager last week (not Montreal’s Marc Bergevin, he specified) and the game came up.

“That GM told me it’s an issue,” Lavoie said on-air. “Before, the athletes were going to bars. Now, they’re staying in hotel rooms or at home and playing video games for hours.”

We’ve been reminded of Red Sox pitcher David Price’s bout with controller-induced carpal tunnel syndrome.

On 8/29/2018 at 5:00 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I believe he has to fail a physical to come off the books THIS season but if he retires, I think he comes off the books right away if he signed before the age of 35 (The Mogilny Rule).  Zetterberg signed his 12 year deal in 2009, so it would clear the cap space immediately.   

Unfortunately due to the contract structure they would be on the hook for penalties if he retires: https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/4/25/11487900/red-wings-cap-recapture-penalties-zetterberg-kronwall-and-franzens

2 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Unfortunately due to the contract structure they would be on the hook for penalties if he retires: https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/4/25/11487900/red-wings-cap-recapture-penalties-zetterberg-kronwall-and-franzens

But is it the same if it's an injury-related retirement?   Especially for a player that had no history of serious injuries previously?

On 9/1/2018 at 1:45 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

But is it the same if it's an injury-related retirement?   Especially for a player that had no history of serious injuries previously?

Unfortunately I believe so, that's why Hossa's deal is now in Arizona even though he can't play because of a skin condition.  I'm not aware of any medical exemptions out of the recapture penalty.  I'm guessing the NHL figured everyone would get injured at the end of these big contracts due to age so there would be no point in having the penalty go away because of injury.  But honestly a guy like Franzen or Nathan Horton being on the books still just seems silly at this point.

19 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Unfortunately I believe so, that's why Hossa's deal is now in Arizona even though he can't play because of a skin condition.  I'm not aware of any medical exemptions out of the recapture penalty.  I'm guessing the NHL figured everyone would get injured at the end of these big contracts due to age so there would be no point in having the penalty go away because of injury.  But honestly a guy like Franzen or Nathan Horton being on the books still just seems silly at this point.

That sure makes Ken Holland & Staff look much worse, doesn't it?

On 9/2/2018 at 4:29 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

That sure makes Ken Holland & Staff look much worse, doesn't it?

I wouldn't say so, the punishment was installed after these contracts were already signed.  If anything I think these contracts show a time where the Wings' front office was innovative, they were [one of?] the first to start dragging down cap hits with long term deals where the player would retire before they are paid nothing in salary.  Other teams started following suit and the NHL wanted to punish the loophole retroactively, which sucks.

https://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/live-streams-nhl-prospects-tournament-sept-7-11-090418

First game of the prospects tournament is in 25 minutes vs the Wild prospects.  You can stream it above.  Lines are:

Smith-Rasmussen(A)-Zadina

Holmstrom-Veleno-Pope

Topping-Ehn-Gogolev

Gilmour-Gallant-Golod

Cholowski-Saarijarvi

McIsaac-Fraser

Regula-Hamilton

Rybar

Fulcher

I'm excited to see the young guys, Gogolev is an interesting invite.

Berggren had a pretty goal yesterday:

Cholowski has looked really good in the first two games.  A couple times he seems to lose his assignments in the defensive zone which can lead him to puck watching, but he's been very good.  He scored the GWG on Saturday, Rasmussen got two goals and Veleno and Zadina had some helpers.  They really dominated the Stars' prospects, I think they only had like 8 or 9 shots going into the third period.

Wings prospects stomp the Rangers prospects, Veleno with two goals, Rasmussen/Holmstrom/Gallant with one each.  Smith beat the crap out of some poor kid in a fight.  Rybar got a shutout.  Cholowski and Zadina with more assists.  Wooooooooooo

16 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Get him here now.

He's fulfilling the last year of his deal as a consultant so we have to wait sadly.  I can respect his decision to do that, I just hope that this isn't a sickness for him or his family and just a difference between him and the rest of the front office.  Also I hope it means he figures he should start studying to be the Wings GM next year...

• Like 1