drownwithyou

2018 - Red Wings Offseason

On 7/12/2018 at 11:52 AM, lordstanley said:

Wings signed Mantha to a 2 yr x $3.3m/yr deal.  Same as AA's. Thought it would be higher. 

Well they need to keep room under the cap to extend Kronwall & Ericsson and bring Filppula back (eventually).   

I know it's not Wings-related but former Senators/Blackhawks goalie Ray Emery died.  He drowned.    I read the story in two places.  Both had sections for user comments after the story and in one it took 10 posts for the racism to start - and the other it was the 3rd post when it started.    We're so ******* broken.    

49 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Maybe the commenters were Canadian.

they'd only dis him if he were Euro, eh?

Getting anxious about the Larkin deal, doesn't appear like they have the space to sign him as is and he should command about $6-7 million per year based on how many years he gets.

Funny video of an Australian rugby player watching videos of Datsyuk by request, first time he's seen ice hockey game footage apparently.  Some cursing as he is Aussie, but some might find it amusing.

I'm seeing more and more reports of nobody knowing if Zetterberg is playing next season, now his agent.  I thought he would play to try to get to 1000 points, so maybe it is a play for LTIRetirement next season, but maybe he doesn't play this season...

I"m home sick and got bored so I did a LTIR Z scenario of what I think the Wings would do:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/816035

Signed Larkin to a 5 year, $6 million per contract.  I used Hertl's recent deal as a comp, but I really have no clue what he will get.  Zadina and Rasmussen crack the offense, Hicketts as the 7th D.  If I were Blashill I would rest Kronwall often to get Hicketts in, and have Hicketts rotate in with Jensen as well to get more ice time to see how he does going into his RFA year.  I would split Howard with Bernier fairly evenly with an eye to see if Bernier can hold the starter job after Jimmy's deal is up, it would be a nice savings to have their starter on that deal and not have an expensive backup (depending on who they would pair Bernier with).  I would love to move Bertuzzi off the fourth line, but I'm not sure who to put there, Helm would make the most sense but their center depth is already bad (I'm sure they won't throw Ras to the wolves like how they started Larkin at wing).  Their center depth stinks, the defense still stinks.  At least they have young guys up and down the lineup.

For fun if I was hired and told go crazy with the youth rebuild and blow it up:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/816067

Larkin gets the same deal.  Buyout Ericsson.  Send Witkowski and Jensen to the minors (Jensen might get claimed).  Zetterberg and Kronwall join Franzen on LTIR.  Babcock gets his mancrush back by trading Glendening to Toronto for a fifth round pick.  Nyquist waives his NTC to go to a contender in Nashville pre-season (crazy times) as I read somewhere they would like more top six forwards, they get Nyquist and a fifth round pick for a second round pick.  Zadina, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Turgeon, Pope, Hronek, Sulak, Hicketts, and Cholowski all make the team.  At the deadline I try to flip Vanek for any pick.  I see if any team wants Green's deal with a year remaining for picks.  Would take a middle of the road prospect in either deal too, no roster players unless their deals expire though.  The team is going to be bad... draft Hughes next draft.  We would have crazy cap space, throw a crazy contract at Karlsson next offseason, offer protection from players' wives to sweeten the deal to get it done.  I wouldn't mind trying to trade DeKeyser and retain some money to make it happen.  The dream would be to include him on a retained salary contract to the Jets for Trouba who will be a RFA again and they don't see eye to eye on a long term deal.  Maybe I can lure Panarin as a free agent.  I don't love the goalies this free agent class, so I sign someone cheapish to share with Bernier for a season.  Explore a Holtby deal next offseason and then I see where the rebuild is at.

These are some good meds!

21 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Larkin signed, 5 years at $6.1 million per so he's the highest paid per year Wing now.  Seems about right.

Let's hope he doesn't pull a Franzen.

32 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Let's hope he doesn't pull a Franzen.

I'm kinda pulling for everyone to not get career ending head injuries that affect their quality of life for the rest of their lives

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fun tidbit from the summer showcase of Canada vs. the US: Rasmussen had a nice tip in goal from a point shot from McIsaac.  The only problem was that the US goalie was Petruzzelli who got lit up and pulled...

I think Regula is on the US and Canada has Veleno too. 

21 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Joe Murphy, former #1 overall pick by the Red Wings, now living homeless on the streets of Kenora, Ontario. Quite a story. I think TSN did a pretty good job of meeting him without being exploitative or sensational.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/tsn-original-finding-murph~1466368

Sad story, hopefully some good comes from his story getting told.

Pronman at the Athletic is releasing his rankings of farm systems, Detroit came in at #7 after being at 24 last year.  Here is how he breaks down the prospects for Detroit (write ups actually at the article of course https://theathletic.com/479775/2018/08/23/nhl-farm-system-rankings-no-7-detroit-red-wings/?

Elite Prospects

1. Zadina

Very Good Prospects

2. Veleno

3. Rasmussen

Legit Prospects

4. Hronek

5. Breggren

Have A Chance

6. Cholowski

7. Svechnikov

8. McIsaac

9. Saarijarvi

10. Hicketts

Depth

11. Larsson (G)

12. Sulak

13. Lindstrom

14. Regula

15. Holmstrom

16. Van Pottelberghe

17. Kotkansalo

18. Petruzzelli

Organizational Top 10 (Under 23)

Dylan Larkin, C

Filip Zadina, RW

Anthony Mantha, RW

Joseph Veleno, C

Michael Rasmussen, C

Filip Hronek, D

Jonatan Berggren, LW

Tyler Bertuzzi, LW

Dennis Cholowski, D

Evgeni Svechnikov, LW

How he ranks:

Special prospect: Projects to be one of the very best at their position in the league

Elite prospect: Projects to be top 10 percent of the league at their position.

High-end prospect: Projects as a legit top-line forward who can play on your PP1/top pairing defenseman.

Very good prospect: Projects as a top-six forward/top-four defenseman/starting goaltender.

Legit NHL prospect: Projects to play, probably not in a top role, but is close enough that he could realistically get there.

Have a chance: Probably not an impact guy but could play in the league and has the toolkit to have an outside chance to be a real player. Have a chance refers to probability to be a good player, not his probability to play NHL games.

Depth: Player who doesn’t have the skillset to play high in your lineup but could fill out your roster and/or be an injury call-up option.

How many of these prospects will be playing with the red wings early this season? I would love an excuse to get back into the NHL after almost 10 years being ambivalent. 

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

How many of these prospects will be playing with the red wings early this season? I would love an excuse to get back into the NHL after almost 10 years being ambivalent. 

It is tricky right now since they don't know if Zetterberg is coming back.  I don't think he is, but they will have to do some cap maneuvering before Z and Franzen go on LTIR at the season start.  So I imagine Zadina starts in Grand Rapids but will be up very quickly.  Rasmussen should make the team out of camp merely because he dominated juniors in the playoffs last year (16 goals and 17 assists in 14 games!!) and he isn't eligible for Grand Rapids yet.  In my opinion it would be a waste to send him back, but they did name him captain of his junior team so I guess it could happen.  I think a d spot will go to either Hicketts or Hronek to start the year.  So if I had to guess:

Dylan Larkin, C - Center for line 1

Filip Zadina, RW - In Grand Rapids for a week or two, then up with Detroit for rest of season

Anthony Mantha, RW - Hopefully Wings' top goal scorer

Joseph Veleno, C - Guessing we won't see him in the NHL for a season or two more, I will say late season call up next year then full timer in three seasons

Michael Rasmussen, C - I will be very bummed if he is sent to juniors, should be on the opening night roster as a top 6 (or third line) winger

Filip Hronek, D - I think the organization wants him to win the sixth D man job out of camp, but I think Blashill will go with Hicketts

Jonatan Berggren, LW - Will spend at least a season in Sweden, probably two, before coming to GR or Detroit

Tyler Bertuzzi, LW - should be a mainstay in Detroit on the third line

Dennis Cholowski, D - Will play heavy minutes in GR, guessing he is a late season call up for a few games

Evgeni Svechnikov, LW - Starts in GR, late to mid season injury replacement.  sucks his skating never improved.

I sort of faded away both because of the frustrating Wings and the frustrating officiating and general thuggishness of play. I think the latter isn't as bad as it was now but without a watchable Wings team to pull me back in I'm still pretty NHL apathetic.

58 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I shall start watching when they call up Zadina then. 

Even if the team stinks, at the very least I think he is going to be an exciting player to watch, I'm waiting for him to choose a number with a Detroit and I'm going to snag a jersey.

53 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Even if the team stinks, at the very least I think he is going to be an exciting player to watch, I'm waiting for him to choose a number with a Detroit and I'm going to snag a jersey.

I'll pay more attention when Zadina is called up - especially if he's paired with Larkin and Mantha.