drownwithyou

2018 - Red Wings Offseason

2 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

A little of both I would say, no panic trades (they mentioned they discussed trading up for Veleno but waited instead) and let guys fall due to other teams drafting for needs.  Smart for a rebuild, but also helped by the others.

I would be shocked if Zadina isn't in the NHL next season.

Maybe both the first rounders at some point in the season.    

All 10 of the Wings picks are going to be at the development camp this week. Switch this year in that it's being held at LCA instead of Traverse City. Too bad I wasn't home, this would be a good year to attend.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/06/24/detroit-red-wings-prospects-home-little-caesars-arena-development-camp/729056002/

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2018/6/14/17464236/red-wings-to-hold-2018-development-camp-at-little-caesars-arena

19 hours ago, holygoat said:

Other than his obvious overuse of that word, he sounds a lot more mature than most 18 year-olds.

small town boy from nova scotia. went out to "supper" with detroit. lolol

Other random tidbits:

Robbie Russo got traded to Phoenix for a conditional 7th round pick, no clue on the conditions but I doubt this will be much more than making room at Grand Rapids for the other d, which is a good thing.

Oullete cleared waivers and was bought out.  He had $1.3 million left for this year, he will count $166,667 and $216,667 against the salary cap in each of the next two seasons.

They apparently have offered Mike Green a 1 year $6 million or a 2 year $5 million per deal.  With Carlson signing his massive deal Green is the best free agent on the market and I hope he cashes in/wants to win a cup elsewhere...

Rumor is that the Isles are looking at Howard as a potential trade target.  They also are looking at Anderson from Ottawa who just requested a trade, so I imagine it will be easier to get him.  There are plenty of FA options too so I doubt it is anything.

Mrazek won't get a qualifying offer from the Flyers so the deal is officially set as far as picks coming back.  He's a free agent now, guessing he will have to backup somewhere.

The pick we traded to Columbus (sixth rounder) for a fifth round pick next year was the pick we got for Steve Ott, so the Wings somehow got a fifth for him techncially!

Detroit is rumored to be in on Jack Johnson, for the love of everything please do not do this.

On the radio this morning Holland said he expects 2-5 young players to make the team out of camp (can't wait to hear the extremely fresh jokes that spring from this).  I hope the team doesn't consider Bertuzzi a part of that equation.  Otherwise my guess at this point is: Rasmussen (can't play in the AHL yet, no reason to go back to junior), Hicketts, and Zadina.  Maybe Svechnikov, who I would have up if possible.  Turgeon has a chance at a fourth line role although Holland has done his best to lock up fourth liners to long deals.  Veleno, since he was an exception player and has played 4 years in the Q, is eligible for Grand Rapids and will most likely be there.  I thought Pope would take Frk's role, but I think the draft of Zadina may push him to GR to start the year.

And... scene.

Welp as soon as I sent that more news!

Bertuzzi signed a two year deal and Frk signed a one year deal.  Frk's QO would have been $710,000 so I'm guessing he signed for less than that.  No clue on the money on either, both will be RFA with arbitration rights at the end of these deals.  Guessing Frk is Grand Rapids bound...

19 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Other random tidbits:

Robbie Russo got traded to Phoenix for a conditional 7th round pick, no clue on the conditions but I doubt this will be much more than making room at Grand Rapids for the other d, which is a good thing.

Not much of a return for Russo, I realize their is limited roster space but I've seen him play a few times at AHL, he is pretty darn good at that level. 

4 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Not much of a return for Russo, I realize their is limited roster space but I've seen him play a few times at AHL, he is pretty darn good at that level. 

He's had a great AHL career, just over .5 points a game as a defenseman isn't anything to sneeze at.  I can't say he was very impressive in his NHL time in my opinion.  Unfortunately they had to scratch Saarijarvi a bunch last season and send him to the ECHL when he didn't belong there because of the logjam in Grand Rapids on D.  And now you have Cholowski and Sulak who joined in the playoffs last year that need time as well, so sadly it made sense to me to let Russo go to make room for guys who seem like they may have a better NHL chance than him.  Renouf didn't get tendered either so that creates room as well.  I'm hoping at least one of Hicketts or Hronek is up as well creating more top level minutes.  

Their system has gotten clogged up with middle of the road guys so I'm hoping this signals a move towards higher level prospects coming up.

(Nastasiuk also was non-tendered, he never seemed to find his game in the pros)

Green back to the Wings for 2 years, fine. But I doubt Green will sign without a no move clause, which defeats the purpose.

Bernier likely to be signed as a backup for 3 years. Whatever, I wouldn't mind someone cheaper and shorter term, but fine.

I have no interest in Vanek and/or Filppula, wish the Wings would stay away.

I like these moves.  They needed to kick the can on the goalie situation since they don't have anybody available yet.  I also see Rasmussen and Zadina making the team, and I'm sure it will be at least a year for Veleno.  I'm eager to see what they do with the defense situation.  I've looked at the top of next years draft, and those players are similar to this year's minus Dahlin.  Good skaters, but not very big.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Pope makes the team.

Vanek signing was dumb and needless. He has no trade deadline value (even if he waives NTC) and we have young forwards that could step in.  

Vanek is Zetterberg Insurance and they can probably get a 3rd or 4th rounder at the deadline.  Plus they resign the steady Mike Green and get Bernier as a solid backup.   Add that to the draft they had and it's a decent offseason for a team not ready to make big splashes just yet.   If they could sign Nelson Mandela this could be a really good offseason.  

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Vanek signing was dumb and needless. He has no trade deadline value (even if he waives NTC) and we have young forwards that could step in.  

I'm not going to roast Kenny on this one, but it was certainly a pointless move. We should be doing all we can next year to lose hockey games for a high draft slot and do it while maximizing the ice time of guys under 25. Signing Vanek (again) does neither.

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not going to roast Kenny on this one, but it was certainly a pointless move. We should be doing all we can next year to lose hockey games for a high draft slot and do it while maximizing the ice time of guys under 25. Signing Vanek (again) does neither.

Kenny can't help it.  He's an addict. 

If the Wings could once again draft 4 times in the top 40 next season, that would be a great foundation when added to this year's draft.  Their own 1st and 2 round picks should be around #5-#10 overall and #35-#40 overall.  From Vegas, they have a 2nd round pick that is dependent upon the Islanders' positioning - the Islanders may not fall into the bottom 10, so that could mid-40s overall, but if they do drop due to Tavares' departure there's your 3rd top 40.  Nyquist and/or AA would be your 4th top 40. Wings fans are excited after the draft and would be totally onboard with a weak 2018-19 now that there's hope for the future. Wings should be a playoff contender in 2020-2021 after missing what by then will be 4 straight years.

I am getting the idea that Zetterberg is not coming back,  I think the Wings already know this.    

I would like to see Eriksson and Kronwall gone.  Eriksson is just bad and Kronwall is a shell of himself.  I still like the guy but even if he could catch up to someone he's not allowed to check them anymore without a call.    I am okay with the Vanek signing.  They need someone to set up Zadina, Rasmussen, Mantha.   

Who is your next Captain if Hank isn't back. 

Kronwall?    As far as leadership yes, but who knows how many games he'll play and I would think they'd want a Captain that expects play 80 games and isn't retiring in a year or two

Justin Abdelkader?  

Danny DeKeyser? 

Mike Green? 

or do they go really young and make it Dylan Larkin?   

I think Abdelkader or Larken will be the next captain, and if I had to bet money, I'd put it on Abdelkader.

I'm surprised AA signed and didn't file for arbitration, I think his agent pushed him a bit last offseason with the KHL thing as he's done that with other clients too.  It does help that he got some good cash (2 years, $3 million per cap hit, a bit higher than I anticipated but nothing crazy).  I'm sure he isn't perfectly content, but hopefully he has a good season since he won't be missing camp and games.  I know he's happy Vanek is back based on his Instagram activity on the Wings' announcement of the signing.  They did click a bit previously.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:18 PM, holygoat said:

I think Abdelkader or Larken will be the next captain, and if I had to bet money, I'd put it on Abdelkader.

I've felt they've had a subtle PR push on Abdelkader over the last few seasons, and with his Michigan ties I think they were grooming him to be the next captain.  I'm not particularly fond of the idea, but I hope that Larkin's season last year has given them pause to maybe give it to him instead.  It would be nice if he signed a long term deal this off season and then had another strong year.  I think he would be a better rep than Abdelkader and those two seem to make the most sense. 

I do think Zetterberg plays this upcoming season and then LTIRetires after this season.  He will only have the two years at $1 million per year salary left and if his back is already bothering him this offseason it makes sense.  Kronwall's deal is up too so they both can ride off together.

Larkin represents the future of the Red Wings, has a good work ethic and attitude, and hopefully will be here long term.  To me it's a no brainer Larking should be the next captain.