drownwithyou

2018 - Red Wings Offseason

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/red-wings-get-their-man-filip-zadina-at-no-6/c-299196806

I love Zadina already:

"It feels awesome. I feel so happy right now. I don't get it still that I am in Detroit, so maybe tomorrow when I wake up I will just say, 'OK I am in Detroit.' I am so happy. It's gone so quick that I can't even realize it that I am in Detroit."

"Everybody else was probably expecting that I'm going to be in Montreal but it's a draft, anything can happen. "I was projected third, I'm going six. I don't really care about numbers. I'm just glad I can be in Detroit. It's an awesome team and hope it's going to fit me well."

However, Zadina did note that Montreal and Ottawa are both in the Atlantic Division with Detroit and he would likely be seeing them a lot.

"I told my agent if they will pass on me I'm going to fill up their net with pucks," Zadina said. "I just want to prove to them they did a bad decision. I'm so glad I'm in Detroit. I just want to prove to Detroit they made a good decision."

There goes the other Rasmus.    No Rasmus for the Red Wings this year..............

Will the Wings get WILDE and take Bode?

Veleno, thought he would be gone by now.  Not a d-man though... they don't have a ton of center depth so I guess that works.

Wilde or Veleno, can't lose. The pick is ... Veleno!  Never expected to him to still be around. If the next 2 teams pass on Wilde and we get him at 33, this is a dream draft, potentially franchise-changing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Wilde or Veleno, can't lose. The pick is ... Veleno!  Never expected to him to still be around. If the next 2 teams pass on Wilde and we get him at 33, this is a dream draft, potentially franchise-changing.

Yeah,  why is Wilde falling?      

Bob Mackenzie's final pre-draft top 93 ranking:

4. Zadina - Wings picked him at #6

14. Veleno - Wings picked him at #30. Thanks Tatar!

1st round is over. Still available to the Wings, who have the 2nd pick tomorrow are Bob's #25, Wilde, D and Bob's #26, McIsaac, D.

Funny how I expected to get one of the top two d-men, but I'm pretty happy with the haul.

The icing on the cake would be to get the defenseman who shares a surname with my Chinese wife at #36, after we pick Wilde or Samuelsson at #33. Go Jett go!

Wilde is a big right handed shooting defenseman that sounds great to me.  I honestly don't know much about guys outside of the top.  But if they hit on these top four picks it is going to go a long way for the rebuild.  Still extremely happy about Zadina.

Trade bait this summer to fill needs on defense: Nyquist, AA, Svech, next year's 2nd.

41 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Trade bait this summer to fill needs on defense: Nyquist, AA, Svech, next year's 2nd.

Nyquist is as good as gone, and AA isn’t far behind. Both should fetch nice returns at the trade deadline. 

The Wings still have a long way to go, but this coming season could be the last one of the Wings' rock-bottom stage. Should trending upwards in 2019-20, at what pace remains to be seen. With now some hope for the future, now more than ever am I willing to bite the bullet and be dismal this coming season, sell off any non-core for picks and have another nice draft next year.

Another good morning for the Wings. Forward Berrgren at 33, defenseman McIsaac at 36. Both had been projected 1st rounders. Great year to stock up on picks. Wilde dropped to 41 to the Islanders. Apparently issues came up with Wilde in due diligence - his intelligence on and off the ice, sounds like. Still, you don't expect a player like that at 41 and NYI and Detroit are the considered the consensus winners of the draft so far. Hope that's still the view 5 years from now.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Another good morning for the Wings. Forward Berrgren at 33, defenseman McIsaac at 36. Both had been projected 1st rounders. Great year to stock up on picks. Wilde dropped to 41 to the Islanders. Apparently issues came up with Wilde in due diligence - his intelligence on and off the ice, sounds like. Still, you don't expect a player like that at 41 and NYI and Detroit are the considered the consensus winners of the draft so far. Hope that's still the view 5 years from now.

I read Wilde also came into the combine out of shape, which especially for the Wings I imagine is a fairly big red flag (Drapers eye probably started twitching at a guy not working out).  I saw Berrgren mocked to the wings at 30 and McIsaac has a lot of praise coming into the draft. I dig.

Wings got another goalie too.  Drafted Ryan O’Reilly...don’t let him drive near Tim Hortons just in case.

50 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

I read Wilde also came into the combine out of shape, which especially for the Wings I imagine is a fairly big red flag (Drapers eye probably started twitching at a guy not working out).  I saw Berrgren mocked to the wings at 30 and McIsaac has a lot of praise coming into the draft. I dig.

Wings got another goalie too.  Drafted Ryan O’Reilly...don’t let him drive near Tim Hortons just in case.

Eliasson was the goalie they drafted in the third.  They drafted another in the 6th round.

13 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Eliasson was the goalie they drafted in the third.  They drafted another in the 6th round.

Ya the 6th rounder is a 21 year old from Sweden, so he was passed over in other drafts.  He put up .919 SV% in Sweden's second tier and is slated to be in the top league this year.  Hoping this was a Hakan pick of a later bloomer.

Wings' last pick is a tiny tiny Finnish center, apparently only like 130 pounds.  People like his offensive skills a lot but apparently he plays no d, a goal of his:

I'll attend next year's draft for sure, it''s here in Vancouver. Speaking of which, there'll be a lot of Woo jerseys sold in Vancouver. They picked him in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

I think the Wings did quite well for themselves - for the most part - but it's hard to tell.    Could be that other teams really helped them do quite well for themselves. 

This should start to show right around the same time all the Tiger prospects are starting to come up.

I have a feeling the philosophy of letting guys stay in the minors forever will probably change soon.   We'll probably see Rasmussen this year and a couple of these forwards next year (2019/20).  

Young guys will definitely not be “overripened” in the minors due in large part to the need to attract fans to LCA. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think the Wings did quite well for themselves - for the most part - but it's hard to tell.    Could be that other teams really helped them do quite well for themselves. 

A little of both I would say, no panic trades (they mentioned they discussed trading up for Veleno but waited instead) and let guys fall due to other teams drafting for needs.  Smart for a rebuild, but also helped by the others.

I would be shocked if Zadina isn't in the NHL next season.