drownwithyou

2018 - Red Wings Offseason

I've said for a few weeks now that the 2018 Caps remind me of the 1997 Red Wings in more ways than any other team of the past 20 years. 

On 6/7/2018 at 12:14 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

They were borderline lethargic at times and had they not won the cup, my contention is:

a. Few to none would have been surprised, and

b. The McCarty fight wouldn't be remembered.

In any event, I don't think Scotty knowingly kept the foot off the gas in the regular season.  Also Mike Vernon was non-descript to bad in the regular season and then got hot in the play-offs. 

I tend to agree that we wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't win...only one team does and the Wings  hadn't shown an ability to rise to the occasion.  For me...that season...the McCarty fight was emblematic of the team demonstrating that they had the toughness to grind it out.  Remember...Scotty traded for Grimson in 1995 not because he felt the team needed a tough guy, he did it because his team thought it needed a tough guy.  In that Colorado game just about everyone fought..they banded together and stood up.  That's why I thought they were ready going into the playoffs

2 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Remember...Scotty traded for Grimson in 1995 not because he felt the team needed a tough guy, he did it because his team thought it needed a tough guy. 

astute observation. They were all big enough boys to take care of themselves but maybe didn't want to. Of course I don't blame them, I hate thug hockey and at too many periods in the history of the NHL there has been too much of it.

14 hours ago, lordstanley said:

No matter what goes on this offseason with the Wings, pretty safe to say it won't be as strange and messed-up as what's going on in Ottawa.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/mike-hoffmans-longtime-girlfriend-allegedly-behind-campaign-of-harassment-against-melinda-and-erik-karlsson

I know Hoffman denied it (150% so you know he should be believed) but I can't imagine that Melinda would file for protection knowing it most likely will go public AND multiple hockey wives would come out basically confirming it in public if it were some misunderstanding.  No clue how you stick by someone that deranged.

Imagine being Matt Duschene who wanted so badly out of Colorado because of dysfunction...now he lands in Ottawa.  Somehow this guy is managing to keep his job and getting his court dates moved so he can attend the freaking draft: http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23669034/ottawa-senators-assistant-gm-randy-lee-arrested-buffalo-harassment

20 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

No clue how you stick by someone that deranged.

Knowing nothing of the principles, I'd guess a big part of it is the sex is good.

Hoffman and his gf have been together 10 years, how good can the sex still be? 🙃

I've learned more the past couple of days about MAC addresses than I ever did before. I suspect that Hoffman's girfriend figured that if she posted from accounts set up with burner email addresses and made the posts from public wi-fi spaces, she'd be able to remain anonymous.

• Like 1

I think the Senators need some stable veteran leadership. Let's trade them Ericsson, Kronwall and Helm in exchange for Hoffman's girlfriend.

Hoffman got moved to San Jose for Boedker (worse than Hoffman) and Ottawa swapped a better pick for a worse pick... only for San Jose to unload Hoffman back into Ottawa's division with the Panthers for a few picks.  Brilliant move by both San Jose (they get out from Boedker's contract and get picks for being a middle man) and Florida (they were contacted by Ottawa for a substantially higher price to get Hoffman so they waited out to get him for a better price).  Hilarious of Tallon to say that he thinks Hoffman will fit in with the Panthers' wives and girlfriends though, so weird.

Anyways back to the Wings..... I am so ready for this draft.  I feel like the Wings are going to do something with their logjam of picks at the end of the first/beginning of the second round.  There's some talk Zadina may slip out of the top five which would be an interesting decision for the Wings... high scoring winger vs top four defenseman...I just want to know!

On 6/19/2018 at 9:26 AM, drownwithyou said:

Anyways back to the Wings..... I am so ready for this draft.  I feel like the Wings are going to do something with their logjam of picks at the end of the first/beginning of the second round.  There's some talk Zadina may slip out of the top five which would be an interesting decision for the Wings... high scoring winger vs top four defenseman...I just want to know!

If that happens, I'd take Zadina then give up a package needed to get to #8 to draft one of the top defensemen. AA,  Vegas 1st, Ottawa 2nd? Not sure that would be enough but I'd offer it.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

If that happens, I'd take Zadina then give up a package needed to get to #8 to draft one of the top defensemen. AA,  Vegas 1st, Ottawa 2nd? Not sure that would be enough but I'd offer it.

It feels like it may take more to get it done (although I have a tough time judging pick value so maybe not!), and Chicago may not want to take back AA with arbitration looming and their cap situation, but I think this scenario is a home run. I imagine they would have a pick of Boqvist or Dobson in the 8 spot (of course maybe Hughes or Bouchard slip too).

They could try for a later first round pick (or cross their fingers that he drops to the Vegas pick) and gamble that they can sort Merkley's attitude problems since he's highly skilled, but that doesn't feel like Detroit and I also read some teams have them off their board completely.

Wings said they won't qualify Frk to avoid having him qualify for arbitration and what not, but could be open to bringing him back.  I would be fine with him coming back to GR but I think it is time to see if Pope can take his role from last season.

Wings rumored still to be in on RFA Grubauer from the Caps, although the asking price is a first rounder.  I'm guessing the Vegas pick does it, although the NYI have like the 12th and 13th picks and are rumored to be interested too.  I would love to bring him in since their prospects are so far off, and I think I may be okay with giving up the first just because they really don't have any top level goalie prospects. 

Happy the draft is tonight!

Glad they didn't pass up on his goal scoring, they need that as well as defensemen.  Wouldn't mind getting frisky for a trade up for Bouchard maybe.

I don't mind. There's plenty of defensemen in this draft. There's only one Zadina!