drownwithyou

2018 - Red Wings Offseason

I didn't think it made sense to keep putting random news in other threads, so here we are...

Potential replacement for Frk on the power play:

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2018/5/7/17328084/red-wings-sign-david-pope-to-entry-level-deal

Pope, 23, has spent the last four seasons at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, where he totaled 94 points (45-49-94) and 41 penalty minutes in 133 games. As a senior in 2017-18, Pope led the Mavericks in goals (20) points (41), power-play goals (12) and shots on goal (123) while tying for the team lead in assists (21). He tied for 28th overall in the nation in scoring, and finished second overall in power-play goals. Pope tied school records in 2017-18 by recording four assists and five points in a game on Jan. 12 vs. Miami, and he also registered his first NCAA hat trick on Feb. 2 at St. Cloud State. The 6-foot-3, 194-pound forward placed fourth overall in conference scoring with 28 points (14-14-28) in 23 National Collegiate Hockey Conference games and was selected to the NCHC First All-Star Team and NCHC All-Academic Team.

Originally drafted by the Red Wings in the fourth round (109th overall) of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Pope spent three seasons (2011-14) in the British Columbia Hockey League prior to his collegiate career. In 131 BCHL games between the Cowichan Valley Capitals, Westside Warriors and West Kelowna Warriors, the Edmonton, Alberta, native registered 114 points (52-62-114) and 71 penalty minutes. In his final junior season, Pope led West Kelowna with 50 points (27-23-50) in 45 games and was selected to the BCHL Second All-Star Team.

Red Wings are the opposite of the Pistons who have no first round pick and no cap room to sign anyone.   Wings have 4 picks out of the first 36 and 7 of the first 87.       Do or Die for Ken Holland but we won't know how well he did until about 2021. 

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Red Wings are the opposite of the Pistons who have no first round pick and no cap room to sign anyone.   Wings have 4 picks out of the first 36 and 7 of the first 87.       Do or Die for Ken Holland but we won't know how well he did until about 2021. 

He probably isn't even here in 2021. He will be 65 in 2021.

18 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

He probably isn't even here in 2021. He will be 65 in 2021.

I think he'll be here, but in a different role.   And Kenny Holland would be a young 65.     And I don't think Steve Yzerman will be the GM here.   I think Tampa Bay is going to keep him around and if not them Toronto will offer him insanity money. 

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I think he'll be here, but in a different role.   And Kenny Holland would be a young 65.     And I don't think Steve Yzerman will be the GM here.   I think Tampa Bay is going to keep him around and if not them Toronto will offer him insanity money. 

You are ruining my whole day.

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You are ruining my whole day.

There are others that could take the job, you know.  

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And I don't want to imply that Yzerman is only in it for the money - but 4 daughters, man, 4 daughters.  

I am guessing Steve made enough in his playing career to support a family of 4 daughters.

29 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And I don't want to imply that Yzerman is only in it for the money - but 4 daughters, man, 4 daughters.  

One of my favorite Stanley Cup moments is when he raised the cup and one of his daughters awkwardly pretended she was raising an invisible one right next to him too.

31 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There are others that could take the job, you know.  

True. But Sport as entertainment is partly about the fantasy, and an Yzerman constructed team hoisting a cup at LCA is a pretty fine fantasy.

25 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

One of my favorite Stanley Cup moments is when he raised the cup and one of his daughters awkwardly pretended she was raising an invisible one right next to him too.

Lol. I will never forget that. I hated it at the time. Now I have a daughter and I get it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

True. But Sport as entertainment is partly about the fantasy, and an Yzerman constructed team hoisting a cup at LCA is a pretty fine fantasy.

Think of those teams we had, man.    Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Shanahan.    We had Marty Lapointe on a 3rd or 4th line - he would have been a first line guy on 20 teams.      I remember my Uncle John, not long before he died in 1997,  we were watching the last game and he says to us "Soak this in boys, you are never going to see a team like this again".    It lasted longer than we thought, but he was right, it would be sheer luck and near-perfect drafting to having anything like that again.    We sure paid dues to get there through some awful 70s and early 80s and maybe we're doing that again, but who even knows how the NHL will look in 10 years.     Jimmy D was the guy that made that and he made the Islanders too.   

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Think of those teams we had, man.    Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Shanahan.    We had Marty Lapointe on a 3rd or 4th line - he would have been a first line guy on 20 teams.      I remember my Uncle John, not long before he died in 1997,  we were watching the last game and he says to us "Soak this in boys, you are never going to see a team like this again".    It lasted longer than we thought, but he was right, it would be sheer luck and near-perfect drafting to having anything like that again.    We sure paid dues to get there through some awful 70s and early 80s and maybe we're doing that again, but who even knows how the NHL will look in 10 years.     Jimmy D was the guy that made that and he made the Islanders too.   

True dat. And not only did they win, they did it playing the most entertaining hockey to watch maybe ever played. To watch Lirianov absolutely refuse to ever play dump and chase, to see guys simply afraid to close on Yzerman or Federov in a corner because they knew they would end up left behind. Edmonton was great, but I think they actually played a less finesse style - Gretzy did the scoring but Messier's power game was the heart of that team and Grant Fuhr covered the rest for them.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

True dat. And not only did they win, they did it playing the most entertaining hockey to watch maybe ever played. To watch Lirianov absolutely refuse to ever play dump and chase, to see guys simply afraid to close on Yzerman or Federov in a corner because they knew they would end up left behind. Edmonton was great, but I think they actually played a less finesse style - Gretzy did the scoring but Messier's power game was the heart of that team and Grant Fuhr covered the rest for them.

Watching the Russian 5 (plus Doug Brown sometimes) just circle the puck around and play keep away until the other team got impatient and then they'd strike.............it was so fun.       I went to a playoff game in St. Louis and we were sitting with some pretty cool St. Louis fans and they started doing that and those fans knew what was coming.  

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

Lol. I will never forget that. I hated it at the time. Now I have a daughter and I get it. 

I hated it at the time and now I have a daughter but still not fond of it. Then again, am closing an M&A deal next Tuesday, maybe I will bring my 11 year old to the lawyer's for the signing.

I do acknowledge that complaining about who is on the ice for the Cup celebration is a hockey 1st World problem.

everyone seems to be sending quin hughes to the wings, which means they'll end up taking some forward.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:29 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Good news, he only has 3 daughters, so no worries.  On top of that, they're all adults now. Those Cups were a long time ago.  That said, I have no interest in Yzerman returning to the Wings as GM.

4 hours ago, Kacie said:

I have no interest in Yzerman returning to the Wings as GM.

why?

I get why people would want Yzerman now, he's put together a good track record in Tampa. But for those who complain about the Wings letting him go in 2010, I don't see what he had done at that point to make one think that he was any more qualified than Draper or Cleary are today. A successful NHL GM is as likely to have been a mid-pack player or below than to have been a superstar.

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

why?

For one, I'm not a fan of the nostalgia thing.  While he's a proven decent NHL GM, so is David Poile, Kevin Cheveldayoff, George McPhee, etc. Is anyone clamoring for any of them?  For most fans, it's not about getting a decent GM, it's about having "Stevie" back.  Yzerman didn't have to do a rebuild in Tampa, he already had many good pieces in place.  He also has not won a Cup, to be fair.  I think the chances that they bring him in as GM and he builds a Cup winner are very low.  Would the fans be calling for his head and turn on him if he doesn't produce a Cup in 5 years? Or would it be oh, but you can't fire Stevie! Plus we don't know how big of a role ownership will play into decisions that are made.  I feel like his legacy is complete, he doesn't have to do anything more.  Let him do his thing in Tampa for however long that lasts.  I'd personally be in favor of a whole house cleaning, starting with all of the former players like Draper, Chelios, Maltby, Mark Howe, Danny Cleary.  All of them.  Time to put the past where it belongs and move forward with something new and different.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, lordstanley said:

I get why people would want Yzerman now, he's put together a good track record in Tampa. But for those who complain about the Wings letting him go in 2010, I don't see what he had done at that point to make one think that he was any more qualified than Draper or Cleary are today. A successful NHL GM is as likely to have been a mid-pack player or below than to have been a superstar.

He is Steve Yzerman. Everyone who had a brain knew his hockey IQ is off the charts. This wasn't a Matt Millen situation. Listening to Yzerman speak throughout his career you could tell he knew hockey and could evaluate talent. 

Also he has been there for 8 years, at this point he didn't inherit the team.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:06 PM, Buddha said:

everyone seems to be sending quin hughes to the wings, which means they'll end up taking some forward.

Is Hughes better or Bouchard better? I like Bouchard's size and we could use some size on D... But it ain't everything either. Is Hughes the better player...?

38 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Is Hughes better or Bouchard better? I like Bouchard's size and we could use some size on D... But it ain't everything either. Is Hughes the better player...?

My personal preference in order is Bouchard, Bomquist, Dobson, Hughes. And I admit that is 100% from what I've heard. I literally haven't watched a minute of any of them play.

My personal preference is Hughes, then Boqvist, then Bouchard.  I think Bouchard could probably play in the NHL right now and will be a very solid player, but in my opinion it looks like  Hughes and Boqvist have higher ceilings than Bouchard.  I expect Hughes to go right before the Wings draft, and I'm guessing the Wings go Bouchard as a safer pick over the younger/more raw Boqvist. 

I've only watched Hughes play a bit (electric skating) and watched highlight videos of Boqvist and Bouchard, so definitely no expert.  The Wings do have a few smaller D in their system so Bouchard would add more size to that pool for sure.  I just love the way Hughes and Boqvist skate.