MAROTH4MVP

Report: Tigers prepared to discuss Fulmer at trade deadline

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I think there is reason that innings are monitored for young starters and how they are allowed to progress year after year. 

Smyly went 126 and 117 primarily as a starter, then down to 76 as a reliever in 2013. In 2014 he pitched 153. That’s a 100% increase in innings from the previous year. That 156 was split between the tigers and rays. Not sure how many he had for the tigers over the first 2/3 of the year, but I do remember that the rays did shut him down early that year. 

Impossible to know. 

Just looking at the injury rates, I tend to believe working back to back days is more destructive to the arm than working more IP but in fewer appearances. And it makes sense to me anyway. When I have been physically stressed,  the max pain and inflammation point is usually about 1 say later, then it recedes. Can't be a good idea to stress again at the max inflammation point.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Fair question, but if that is why he was injured, I don't think it would be fair to blame the org for that. A pitcher should be able to endure that. He was probably going to fall apart anyhow. 

I agree with this.  There was always a question about his durability.  

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Just looking at the injury rates, I tend to believe working back to back days is more destructive to the arm than working more IP but in fewer appearances. And it makes sense to me anyway. When I have been physically stressed,  the max pain and inflammation point is usually about 1 say later, then it recedes. Can't be a good idea to stress again at the max inflammation point.

True. But you can also do damage pitching while tired in the same day. Starters are regularly pushed to get through innings, often leading to throwing 30 or more in a single inning, or approaching or exceeding 100 pitches. 

I think in either case, he was conditioned to do one thing, and then yanked toward a different thing and then yanked back.

On 5/10/2018 at 12:24 AM, Yoda said:

What arms have the Tigers ruined in the past? 

Steve Kemp

they may have ruined Vern Ruhle.     The certainly ruined Mark Fidrych.  I know the initial injury was his knee but they overdid it with him.   24 complete games, - 4 of those games he went 11 innings.    But we're talking about the 70s here...........

On 5/11/2018 at 1:00 AM, Shelton said:

True. But you can also do damage pitching while tired in the same day. Starters are regularly pushed to get through innings, often leading to throwing 30 or more in a single inning, or approaching or exceeding 100 pitches. 

I think in either case, he was conditioned to do one thing, and then yanked toward a different thing and then yanked back.

In a lost post I wondered if anyone has ever studied how the human body actually acclimates to changing physical stress - if they have any idea to what degree or what time frame things happen over.

The way things are going maybe they won't and decide to go for the playoffs.

don't think they will lose 100 games, but they are going to be really bad when AA sells off all the C+ parts of the team

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

don't think they will lose 100 games, but they are going to be really bad when AA sells off all the C+ parts of the team

Please, no more Troy Montgomery or Grayson Long’s in return.  

I dispute the claim Liriano is a beautiful trade chip.  I also doubt this most recent start significantly changes his trade value, which, while not directly claimed, seems to be implied by Bob.