MAROTH4MVP

Report: Tigers prepared to discuss Fulmer at trade deadline

Major League Baseball's trade deadline is more than two months away, but the Detroit Tigers may be willing to eventually discuss potential moves involving one of their best players.

The Tigers are prepared to engage in trade discussions involving right-hander Michael Fulmer at the deadline, according to MLB Network's Jon Morosi.

Although Detroit is willing to listen to offers, it isn't motivated to move the 25-year-old, Morosi adds.

If Fulmer continues to pitch like he has over the past three seasons, the 2016 Rookie of the Year could fetch a nice haul at the deadline.

Fulmer has made six starts for the rebuilding Tigers this season, and despite owning a 1-2 record, he still boasts a sub-three ERA (2.80).

He won't hit free agency until 2023 and is eligible for arbitration in 2019 at the earliest.

Since debuting in the big leagues in 2016, Fulmer is 22-21 in 57 starts with a 3.38 ERA and 3.72 FIP over 359 innings.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1540951

Tigers prepared to discuss Miggy, Victor, McCann, Hicks, Iglesias, Martin, Castellanos, Greene, Liriano, Fiers, Wilson, and Stumpf as well. And Zimmermann!

• Like 1

Fulmer is probably at the top of most teams 'desire' list.  The big question is what team(s) are actually willing to offer what he is likely worth on the open market.  It has to be an extremely significant return.  The Yankees probably have the most at stake (keeping up with the talented Red Sox pitching) ..and the farm system talent to make it worthwhile to the Tigers.  But even the Yankees may not be willing to give up what Fulmer is worth.

Hate this stuff is so public this early. 

The closer we are to the deadline, the more we will get. The draft obviously determines the return for Fulmer. 

8 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

The closer we are to the deadline, the more we will get. The draft obviously determines the return for Fulmer. 

How so?

8 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

The draft obviously determines the return for Fulmer. 

That's obvious?

I'm usually all for stuff like this, but I hope it doesn't pan out. I hate that it's already being talked about. 

14 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Here I thought it would be the amount of demand for starting pitchers. Who knew. 

Would not surprise me if Tigers ruin Fulmer's arm before they can cash in.

58 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Here I thought it would be the amount of demand for starting pitchers. Who knew. 

FAKE NEWS!

Anyway, this whole "news" item is ridiculous.  It's like saying that the Red Sox would have listened to an offer for Pedro - of course they would have.  But it would have had to have to been a pretty nice offer for them to have accepted it, far more than Pedro was actually worth.  Everybody is for sale, at any time, and to say that the Tigers are "listening to offers about Fulmer" is so stupid that I don't even know why it would have qualified for a news feed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Anyway, this whole "news" item is ridiculous.  It's like saying that the Red Sox would have listened to an offer for Pedro - of course they would have.  But it would have had to have to been a pretty nice offer for them to have accepted it, far more than Pedro was actually worth.  Everybody is for sale, at any time, and to say that the Tigers are "listening to offers about Fulmer" is so stupid that I don't even know why it would have qualified for a news feed.

Especially when you consider its not some new revelation, despite being presented as much. ****, JPM reported during the winter meetings the Yanks and Tigers had talks about Fulmer. 

Also Avila said this on Dec 12: "“We did have more than a couple of teams who have expressed interest,” Tigers general manager Al Avila said Tuesday. “But all we are doing is listening at this point. For us, it just pays to listen and to see what is out there.” 

So yeah JPM looks like an idiot on this one. 

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Would not surprise me if Tigers ruin Fulmer's arm before they can cash in.

What arms have the Tigers ruined in the past? 

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

All of the bullpen arms over the last decade.

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

Nate Cornejo

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Nate Cornejo

Touche

Did the tigers ruin drew smyly? Bumped him from rotation to pen, then back to rotation before he was traded to the rays for price. He was injured the next season for the rays, I think. Then flipped to Seattle where he was injured again. If he stayed in the rotation for the tigers, would he have held up better? Was he not ready for the workload after he returned to the rotation?

What a stupid waste of space for a story.   Yeah, every GM can discuss any deal..............for anyone, at anytime.    If they aren't prepared to do that, they aren't doing their job.  

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Nate Cornejo

Kevin Ritz

18 hours ago, Yoda said:

Justin Verlander. He can't throw 102 in the 9th inning anymore. He's ruined forever.

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

Did the tigers ruin drew smyly? Bumped him from rotation to pen, then back to rotation before he was traded to the rays for price. He was injured the next season for the rays, I think. Then flipped to Seattle where he was injured again. If he stayed in the rotation for the tigers, would he have held up better? Was he not ready for the workload after he returned to the rotation?

Fair question, but if that is why he was injured, I don't think it would be fair to blame the org for that. A pitcher should be able to endure that. He was probably going to fall apart anyhow. 

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

Fair question, but if that is why he was injured, I don't think it would be fair to blame the org for that. A pitcher should be able to endure that. He was probably going to fall apart anyhow. 

I think there is reason that innings are monitored for young starters and how they are allowed to progress year after year. 

Smyly went 126 and 117 primarily as a starter, then down to 76 as a reliever in 2013. In 2014 he pitched 153. That’s a 100% increase in innings from the previous year. That 156 was split between the tigers and rays. Not sure how many he had for the tigers over the first 2/3 of the year, but I do remember that the rays did shut him down early that year. 

Impossible to know. 

One of the reasons Smyly dropped to the Tigs in the 2nd round was because of shoulder issues in college. If anything they limited his innings and took as good of care of his arm as they could.