kj2018

The Tigers Hitting Thread

It's been a month since the Tigers have scored more than 7 runs in a game.  

The league average for runs a game is about 4.5,  in the month of June the Tigers have only eclipsed that number 5 times and two of the times came the first two days of the month.  So basically the past 3 and a half weeks only 3 times have they even hit the league average for runs. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

McCann **never** has hit RHP.

Even in little leagues.

You'd think by now he would be on a strict platoon.  I don't fully understand why the Tigers think he can be an everyday player.  Probably has to do with his defense, which is over-valued.  

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's been a month since the Tigers have scored more than 7 runs in a game.  

It's been almost a month since the Royals have scored more than 4 runs in a game.  

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

You'd think by now he would be on a strict platoon.  I don't fully understand why the Tigers think he can be an everyday player.  Probably has to do with his defense, which is over-valued.  

If we only had....

58535-10Fr.jpg

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think because getting run out of your ballpark by the opposing team is kinda of uniquely embarrassing to an org. Hick's is just not a very good catcher.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think because getting run out of your ballpark by the opposing team is kinda of uniquely embarrassing to an org. Hick's is just not a very good catcher.

I'm not suggesting he get run out of the ballpark.  I'm just suggesting to vastly limit his playing time.  

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

I'm not suggesting he get run out of the ballpark.  I'm just suggesting to vastly limit his playing time.  

no -no-  I don't mean the player - by 'getting run out of your own ballpark"  I mean having having the opposing team steal large numbers of bases at will against you at home. It looks really bad. Ergo - McCann keeps his job.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If only the Tigers had a LH hitting catcher who hit RHP well enough to platoon with McCann, they would have been golden.

........and then have him bat second in the order......you know, because he hits below the Mendoza line, but he walks a lot.    

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

no -no-  I don't mean the player - by 'getting run out of your own ballpark"  I mean having having the opposing team steal large numbers of bases at will against you at home. It looks really bad. Ergo - McCann keeps his job.

Because that's exactly what happens every time Hicks catches?

This is what I mean by McCann's defensive value is overrated. 

4 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Because that's exactly what happens every time Hicks catches?

This is what I mean by McCann's defensive value is overrated. 

It's the kind of thing managers probably think about.

At the current rate the Yankees can go homer less the rest of the season and still end up hitting more dingers than the Tigers.  

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

.246/.357/.419

Who be this...?

And is that overall or against RH'ers only?

Tigers now lead the lead with 13 shutouts, including 4 times when the final score was 1-0.

They now have 36 games with 2 runs or less (out of 99 games played)

They now have 51 games with 3 runs or less.

The team BA with RISP is now .227, with 2 outs it is .201

The leading batter in terms of the most plate appearances, by far, is Victor Martinez, with an overall BA of .174 and an OPS of .490

Some other guys with RISP:

Jeimer - .173 BA and a .545 OPS

Jacoby - .167 and a .471 OPS

McCann - .185 and a .499 OPS

Leonys - .167 and a .500 OPS

With 2 outs and RISP, the following guys are under .200 (McCann is under .100):  Machado, Goodrum (he is really good with less than 2 outs and RISP), Victor, Jacoby, Jeimer, Leonys, McCann

They seem to get chances, but they just cannot get that big hit.  

A lot of it is due to them just not being a good team, especially the hitters, but man, it is painful to watch (although good in the long run as more losses leads to a better draft pick)

On 6/24/2018 at 1:34 PM, kj2018 said:

Take away the 5 run outburst that was essentially meaningless in the 9th when down 9 against the Reds,

Any runs scored in a loss are basically meaningless.

Take away the last 3 1/2 years ..and the Tigers are a playoff team.

4 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Any runs scored in a loss are basically meaningless.

Take away the last 3 1/2 years ..and the Tigers are a playoff team.

I think you and i discussed the whole garbage time runs on the old MLB board.  We always agreed to disagree about that.

Regardless, nice offense tonight to get 5, and they needed it, as Sale goes tomorrow

11 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

I think you and i discussed the whole garbage time runs on the old MLB board.  We always agreed to disagree about that.

Regardless, nice offense tonight to get 5, and they needed it, as Sale goes tomorrow

Sale will wake up with the flu.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Sale will wake up with the flu.

Agree 100%.  He'll catch a rare strain of influenza nikogoodrumsis

23 hours ago, kj2018 said:

Not me .. I never spoke out in disagreement with you over there. 

I usually spoke out against idiots ..of which you definitely are not.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:52 PM, kj2018 said:

A lot of it is due to them just not being a good team, especially the hitters, but man, it is painful to watch (although good in the long run as more losses leads to a better draft pick)

losing their best hitter plus this means they stink offensively.