kj2018

The Tigers Hitting Thread

13 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Heads need to roll to show the team the front office is serious.

DFA Kozma and VMart.

The front office is not serious about this season and they have made no secret about it.  That is why they have such a huge lack of talent.  

We are getting what people want. People want this team to suck so we get another first round draft pick. Why do people complain when they get what they want? 

12 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

We are getting what people want. People want this team to suck so we get another first round draft pick. Why do people complain when they get what they want? 

I am not complaining, just pointing out facts.  For me, i would like to see them hang around a bit longer, but no matter what, sell at the deadline.  I get frustrated by their lack of situational hitting.

Another road game with 2 runs scored.  The bullpen gave it up, but this team does not give their bullpen any daylight, at least on the road.  Brutal offense (to be expected with their lineup, and their injuries), but nonetheless, it is painful to watch on a game by game basis

Let's check this again...bad bullpen, bad lineup w/o two of their best hitters, and a starting staff that is due to have some FIP regression...

I think we have a bad team.

I don't think good

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This team isn't as bad as you think.

Exactly!  Most everyone thought this was a 100-loss team when in reality they are more of a 95-loss team.  

Designated hitter (non-hitter?) VMart = .251 BA, .313 OBP, .366 SLG (lol), .679 OPS, w/12 EBH and 22 RBI's.

Relatively weak-hitting shortstop Iggy = .255 BA, .308 OBP, .370 SLG, .677 OPS, w/17 EBH and 19 RBI's.

8 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Designated hitter (non-hitter?) VMart = .251 BA, .313 OBP, .366 SLG (lol), .679 OPS, w/12 EBH and 22 RBI's.

Relatively weak-hitting shortstop Iggy = .255 BA, .308 OBP, .370 SLG, .677 OPS, w/17 EBH and 19 RBI's.

Victor is 16 for his last 49. Hate to say it but he is actually heating up, and it has struck me in the last couple of games I watched that he seems to be seeing the ball well. Can he sustain it?

Iggy is 15 for his last 49.

Since May 1st (excluding today's game):

VMart = 93 AB/ 25 Hits, .269 BA, .320 OBP, .366 SLG, .686 OPS, 7 Walks, 4 Doubles, 1 HR, 9 RBI's, 7 Runs, 9 KO's.

Iggy = 102 AB / 30 Hits, .294 BA, .345 OBP, .431 SLG, .777 OPS, 8 Walks, 8 Doubles, 2 HR's, 12 RBI's, 13 Runs, 7 KO's.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Victor is 16 for his last 49. Hate to say it but he is actually heating up, and it has struck me in the last couple of games I watched that he seems to be seeing the ball well. Can he sustain it?

But check out Victor's stats when it matters most, with RISP.  He is brutally bad.  Under .160 overall, and under .130 with 2 outs.  He is getting  a lot of singles with nobody on base, which is nice, but then with him running the bases, it clogs them up.  He leads the team by far in plate appearances with RISP, but only has 22 RBI or whatever he has

14 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

But check out Victor's stats when it matters most, with RISP.  He is brutally bad.  Under .160 overall, and under .130 with 2 outs.  He is getting  a lot of singles with nobody on base, which is nice, but then with him running the bases, it clogs them up.  He leads the team by far in plate appearances with RISP, but only has 22 RBI or whatever he has

Victor has no career history of having a split differential with men on or RISP or high leverage. What we are seeing in terms of his RISP split is likely as not just statistical noise. If he continues to hit better in general I'd bet it will be reflected in his results with men on base as well. The better question is whether the improvement recently is real or is also just a little luck/statistical noise.

I hope you are right, but so far this year, the splits are really bad.  There are still 100 games to go, so it will probably all even out, but thus far he has been miserable with RISP

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:39 AM, bobrob2004 said:

Exactly!  Most everyone thought this was a 100-loss team when in reality they are more of a 95-loss team.  

I personally thought they were a 90-loss team, FWIW.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, kj2018 said:

I hope you are right, but so far this year, the splits are really bad.  There are still 100 games to go, so it will probably all even out, but thus far he has been miserable with RISP

It is very likely random variation.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:41 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I personally thought they were a 90-loss team, FWIW.

Same here.  

On 6/5/2018 at 7:42 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It is very likely random variation.

It is with most players.  

I would guess that road/home splits will normalize and they will end up a bad team either way.

28 minutes ago, kdog said:

I would guess that road/home splits will normalize and they will end up a bad team either way.

There goes your dugout pass.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:31 AM, kdog said:

Let's check this again...bad bullpen, bad lineup w/o two of their best hitters, and a starting staff that is due to have some FIP regression...

I think we have a bad team.

But they are fun to watch.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 8:18 PM, Tigrrfan said:

Since May 1st (excluding today's game):

VMart = 93 AB/ 25 Hits, .269 BA, .320 OBP, .366 SLG, .686 OPS, 7 Walks, 4 Doubles, 1 HR, 9 RBI's, 7 Runs, 9 KO's.

Iggy = 102 AB / 30 Hits, .294 BA, .345 OBP, .431 SLG, .777 OPS, 8 Walks, 8 Doubles, 2 HR's, 12 RBI's, 13 Runs, 7 KO's.

Wow - this comparison was a real slap in the face.

Full season as of today:

VMart (183AB)  .251/.314/.366 

Iggy (203AB) .256/.306/.374

Isn't it great the Tigers carry a back-up DH who they can plug in without missing a beat in case something happens to Victor?

I think it's wonderful.

This was about how far into the season that the Tigers were when they cut ties with Jacques Jones and Craig Monroe, wasn't it?

I think they generally give about 2 months of rope as I recall.