Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

2018 draft: Statement to JBC?

Anyone else think that the draft may have been sort of call out to JBC?  That it's time to get the running game to a respectable, and if you can't do it now, you're gone?

Two OLmen, 1 RB, 1 FB... and we also signed a veteran RB in the offseason plus fired your OL coach.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yes

Now that's the kinda logic and solid reasoning I can get behind!

10 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Hard to refute that logic...

Oh you wanted me to support my rejection of your premise?

I think they addressed the run game in the way they did because they thought the personnel they had wasn’t good enough, thereby implying that the run game failures were not the fault of JBC. If anything, it’s a show of confidence in JBC that they kept him around and went out and got him players that can get the job done. 

Alternately, teams draft players because they believe doing so will most greatly increase the odds of succeeding given the options available.

They don't draft players to send a message to a coach.  You send a message by simply having a conversation with the man.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Alternately, teams draft players because they believe doing so will most greatly increase the odds of succeeding given the options available.

They don't draft players to send a message to a coach.  You can do that by simply having a conversation.

Yes. If you think your coach needs a message sent, you should probably just get a different coach. 

They made their statement to Ron Prince. “You’re fired.”

I will be stunned if the Lions, with a new OL coach, another 1st round pick on the OL, and two new bruising backs, struggle to run the ball this year. 

If they wanted to “call out” JBC, they would have fired him.

They recognized they didn’t have the personnel necessary to utilize any sort of effective run game, and have attempted to remedy that.

I think we can all agree that red ramage should apologize to everyone for starting this thread. 

No, it's a statement that the Lions have had the worst running game in the league for years and that they need some semblance of balance if they ever want to go anywhere in the playoffs.  I'm sure JBC never entered their thoughts when lining up their draft board.

I do think this offseason and draft shows that Quinn is putting a lot of faith into Patricia's defensive scheme to get the most out of his defensive players because there wasn't much of a talent upgrade.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Shelton said:

Oh you wanted me to support my rejection of your premise?

I think they addressed the run game in the way they did because they thought the personnel they had wasn’t good enough, thereby implying that the run game failures were not the fault of JBC. If anything, it’s a show of confidence in JBC that they kept him around and went out and got him players that can get the job done. 

This af