Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Grading The Lions 2015 Draft

Recommended Posts

I think it's ridiculous to grade a draft the day after it happens.   Nobody really knows who can take the next step and who can't. 

But looking back 3 years I think is fair.    

The Lions 2015 draft

 

Round 1 - Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke   - As soft as an O-lineman can be

Round 2 - Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska -  Never reached the potential due to injuries and lack of power and will likely be released this year.

Round 3 - Alex Carter, CB, Stanford  - Played 1 game in his career

Round 4 - Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn - Has 9 career tackles in 3 years

Round 5 - Michael Burton, FB, Rutgers  - In 2 years with Lions had 4 carries for 2 yards and 6 catches with 1 touchdown

Round 6 - Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas - An average DB who has a knack for making big plays and is easily the best player in this draft

Round 7 - Corey Robinson, OT, South Carolina - Has been inured most of his career and a non-factor when he has actually played

 

Yikes, the only thing that keeps this from being a F is they got a steal with Diggs in the 6th and they have had at least a little production from Abdullah. 

Drafts like this get GMs fired...............and it did.       Maybe I should grade the draft higher for getting Mayhew & Lewand out of here.

D-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been digging into the past to see how I graded previous drafts

2015: D- 
1- Laken Tomlinson 2-Ameer Abdullah 3-Alex Carter 4-Gabe Wright 5-Michael Burton 6-Quandre Diggs 7-Corey Robinson

2014:  C 
1-Eric Ebron, 2-Kyle VanNoy  3-Travis Swanson 4-Nevin Lawson 4-Larry Webster 5-Caraun Reid 6-TJ Jones 7-Nate Freese

2013:  A-
1-Ziggy Anshah  2-Darius Slay 3-Larry Warford 4-Devin Taylor 5-Sam Martin 6-Corey Fuller 6-Theo Riddick 7-Michael Williams 7-Brandon Hepburn 

2012:  C+
1 - Riley Reiff, 2- Ryan Broyles, 3- Bill Bentley 4- Ronell Lewis  5-Tahir Whitehead 5-Chris Greenwood, 6-Jonte Green 7-Travis Lewis

2011: D 
1 - Nick Fairley,  2- Titus Young  2- Mikel Leshoure  5- Doug Hogue 7- Johnny Culbreath

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 2013 draft wasn't bad at all. Netted 5 solid starters including one of the top corners in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Only thing that takes 2013 from a A to an A- was that Worford fizzled out a bit after a great rookie season.  

He had a good year last year in New Orleans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

He had a good year last year in New Orleans

Yes he did, but part of it is your ability to draft, develop and keep your own picks.    He has not equaled his rookie year.      In that draft (2013) it was like they got 3 first rounders (Ziggy, Slay, Worford) and  a second rounder (Riddick) and their Punter for the next decade, as long as he stays off hoverboards................allegedly.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2018 at 9:24 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Round 1 - Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke   - As soft as an O-lineman can be

Round 2 - Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska -  Never reached the potential due to injuries and lack of power and will likely be released this year.

Round 3 - Alex Carter, CB, Stanford  - Played 1 game in his career

Round 4 - Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn - Has 9 career tackles in 3 years

Round 5 - Michael Burton, FB, Rutgers  - In 2 years with Lions had 4 carries for 2 yards and 6 catches with 1 touchdown

Round 6 - Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas - An average DB who has a knack for making big plays and is easily the best player in this draft

Round 7 - Corey Robinson, OT, South Carolina - Has been inured most of his career and a non-factor when he has actually played

It's hard to argue wit you too much on this draft, but... I do think Burton at least a 'C.'  He was a full back (if I'm not mistaken) and so won't show up on stats lines too much when he's doing his job of blocking.  Further, he was a 5th rounder which I never assume are going to be much more than special teams players or depths guys.

I think it's also worth stating that AA might have done a little better with a better OL and/or scheme.

That said, at best, these things raise the grade to a D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

It's hard to argue wit you too much on this draft, but... I do think Burton at least a 'C.'  He was a full back (if I'm not mistaken) and so won't show up on stats lines too much when he's doing his job of blocking.  Further, he was a 5th rounder which I never assume are going to be much more than special teams players or depths guys.

I think it's also worth stating that AA might have done a little better with a better OL and/or scheme.

That said, at best, these things raise the grade to a D.

Yeah, the FB doesn't usually have much of a stat line, but also, our running game was pretty bad so I don't think he was a difference maker.   They barely used him. I don't recall hearing his name mentioned on a lot of special teams plays.   

Strange - they draft a seemingly-average FB, he does what is asked of him, they get rid of him and then spend another draft pick on someone just like him.  I know this regime didn't draft him, but he was playing under them.   In recent years they have always struggled on those 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2 situations, why wouldn't they have a fullback to help with that?    

Figuring out the Lions is like figuring out the genome sequence on an alien.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Whatever.  He was a easily replaceable player.

Sure a FB for another FB, but it was a draft pick where they might have been able to get some depth somewhere else.   Not that 7th round guys stick very often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Only thing that takes 2013 from a A to an A- was that Worford fizzled out a bit after a great rookie season.  

a little but he's still at op 25 guard at worst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomlinson had a functional season for SF last year fwiw. I don't think Abdullah gets cut, especially after Tion Green. I think they want two power guys and two scat guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Tomlinson had a functional season for SF last year fwiw. I don't think Abdullah gets cut, especially after Tion Green. I think they want two power guys and two scat guys. 

Though it is certainly possible that they decide to go with Johnson, Blount, Riddick, the new FB, and if they want an RB5 Zenner/Washington. I think they can save around $1m against the cap if they cut Abdullah, though I admit I don't always understand the cap implications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Though it is certainly possible that they decide to go with Johnson, Blount, Riddick, the new FB, and if they want an RB5 Zenner/Washington. I think they can save around $1m against the cap if they cut Abdullah, though I admit I don't always understand the cap implications.

Abdullah will have to look better than he did last year to earn that mil, so I mostly agree. I'm just predicting the new scheme/coaching and with hopefully a better healed foot he ends up being too talented not to carry or get value for 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was kinda hoping that we could get a 7th, maybe even a little higher, pick for him.  But I pretty much figured that wasn't going to happen when he fumbled on the kick return.  No one was going to spend even a mostly worthless 7th rounder on a guy who can't run the ball well and can't hold on to the ball well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ameer's gonna end up in NE where he will magically learn how to hold onto the ball and turn into a 1000 yard back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×