Motor City Sonics

2018 NFL Draft As-It-Happens Thread

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i get it.  fix the oline and pummel people on offense.  offense wins championships now.

lets see what they do with the rest of the draft.

watch the next two rounds be running back and tight end.  lol.

They can't go with the current crop of RB's they have now and think they'll be a good rushing offense can they? How can they have faith in Ameer Abdullah or have faith in Blount to be an every down workhorse at this point in his career. 

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They can't go with the current crop of RB's they have now and think they'll be a good rushing offense can they? How can they have faith in Ameer Abdullah or have faith in Blount to be an every down workhorse at this point in his career. 

There are a lot of running backs available rounds 2-4 that can make an impact as a rookie. It's a deep class.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It is easier to get a 220 lb RB than a 310 lb Center. 

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

There are a lot of running backs available rounds 2-4 that can make an impact as a rookie. It's a deep class.

My point isn't that there aren't talent RB's later in the draft. Where I am going with this is, if they do take a Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones, etc. they are further neglecting their defense/woeful pass rush/awful LB play.

My guess is they are counting on improved play from Davis, Robinson and Tabor on defense. This team is going to win with offense. They probably feel with scheme and improvement from their young players on defense, the defense can be good enough. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

My guess is they are counting on improved play from Davis, Robinson and Tabor on defense. This team is going to win with offense. They probably feel with scheme and improvement from their young players on defense, the defense can be good enough. 

So improved play for Tabor is what, actually seeing the field? I do expect big steps up from both Robinson and Davis under Patricia's guidance.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So improved play for Tabor is what, actually seeing the field? I do expect big steps up from both Robinson and Davis under Patricia's guidance.

That would be a start. They also probably feel they can get more consistency out of Ansah under Patricia as well. 

If they were going to go offense I just wish they would've went with a playmaker.  I guess they can still get one later but my feeling is this whole "you gotta keep Stafford upright" narrative is overblown.  Aside from maybe 1 season Stafford has always played with crappy o lines yet has shown that he can still be elite regardless.   Where as the defense has shown that the only year they were elite were when they had a great pass rush.   

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

If they were going to go offense I just wish they would've went with a playmaker.  I guess they can still get one later but my feeling is this whole "you gotta keep Stafford upright" narrative is overblown.  Aside from maybe 1 season Stafford has always played with crappy o lines yet has shown that he can still be elite regardless.   Where as the defense has shown that the only year they were elite were when they had a great pass rush.   

They also have never been able to run the ball. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm a Stafford fan but he has never been elite, can't beat the good teams.  The Lions consistently lose in the trenches and you'll never win playoff games if you can't win in the trenches so I get this pick from that perspective. 

My issue is that they desperately need playmakers on defense so I really wanted them to take a pass rusher with the 1st pick.  A lot of people seem to like Ragnow so maybe we should differ to the scouts on this one.

Quinn has spent a 1st and 2nd round pick on defense last year and a 2nd round pick the year prior so it's not like they haven't invested in defense. 

38 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

open up a big hole and even a lions running back can move through it.

besides, there are tons of good backs in this draft.  they can probably wait until round 3 to take one.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Carlos Monarrez gave the pick an F so I feel better about the pick now. 

I give his column an F-.

Just now, Buddha said:

open up a big hole and even a lions running back can move through it.

besides, there are tons of good backs in this draft.  they can probably wait until round 3 to take one.

although i sure would like them to take one in round two...

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Carlos Monarrez gave the pick an F so I feel better about the pick now. 

if i wanted to read drivel like that i would dig up some old rob parker pieces.

24 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I'm a Stafford fan but he has never been elite, can't beat the good teams.  The Lions consistently lose in the trenches and you'll never win playoff games if you can't win in the trenches so I get this pick from that perspective. 

My issue is that they desperately need playmakers on defense so I really wanted them to take a pass rusher with the 1st pick.  A lot of people seem to like Ragnow so maybe we should differ to the scouts on this one.

Twelve teams after us had a crack at Harold Landry. He is still on the board. Apparently the NFL didn’t see him the same way as the media  

Pass rushers go in the top 5–10 slots. But the Pats don’t build their defense around 4-3 edge rushers. They build it around scheme, with versatile players. Maybe Landry has only one dimension, and it doesn’t project well. 

Love me some Ragnow, didn't think we'd take him wow. 4th most athletic C in combine history if not noted yet. Monster power on tape. Ragdolls Payne. 

Invest in those lines. Edge in the 2nd(Hubbard, Carter, Ogbo or Nwossu I'd guess) and RB in the 3rd IMO. Adams, Freeman or Johson if I had to guess there. Who knows though of course. 

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Well, ok then.  Fills a need is all I can really say but are they going to continue to ignore their biggest need the DLine?

I see people saying "In Quinn We Trust" but color me very underwhelmed with his regime thus  far.

LG was weaker than any DL slot to me. 

as is always said here, Quinn goes biggest need, low floor, big school, college production, position that doesn't leave the field ever. Ragnow checked all the boxes including the Quinn index athletic indicators(QIB)