Motor City Sonics

2018 NFL Draft As-It-Happens Thread

That was exciting and had me pumped up to be a Lions fan.  I'm going out to buy my season tickets now.   

And there we go.  They absolutely don't talk about the Lions before the pick and then go right to commercial afterwards.   

Did Martin Mayhew call that one in...............What a cluster****. 

Well, ok then.  Fills a need is all I can really say but are they going to continue to ignore their biggest need the DLine?

I see people saying "In Quinn We Trust" but color me very underwhelmed with his regime thus  far.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

About as uninspiring a pick as you could make.

Have you seen Travis Swanson? Talk about uninspiring. Ragnow should improve the center of the line dramatically. But they could have had Ragnow or Daniels further down. 

I actually like Ragnow a lot... but I think hype pushed him into the 1st round... 

Unless he turns into Alex Mack or Mike Webster...

4 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Have you seen Travis Swanson? Talk about uninspiring. Ragnow should improve the center of the line dramatically. But they could have had Ragnow or Daniels further down. 

Ragnow over Landry though?

Lions were 32nd in rushing 2 of last 3 years and stafford sacked 2nd most last year.  Protecting the most important player on the team is a good idea. 

lionsb_logo.gif Detroit Lions: Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas A- Grade 
That sound you hear is the collective hearts of the Bengals' front office breaking upon learning about this pick. Frank Ragnow was set to go 21st overall, but the Lions also needed a center, so they snatched the Arkansas product off the board. 

This is a solid pick. Ragnow is a terrific center who didn't surrender a single sack last year playing in the SEC. He fills a huge need, which the Lions had after losing Travis Swanson in free agency. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades1.php#ixzz5DptSFWDl

Just now, T&P_Fan said:

Lions were 32nd in rushing 2 of last 3 years and stafford sacked 2nd most last year.  Protecting the most important player on the team is a good idea. 

You couldn't have moved Glasgow over and then went Guard in the 2nd or 3rd? Whatever, these guys know a heck of a lot more than me. I hope this guy turns into the next Alex Mack at Center.

5 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Yeah - an O-Line pick doesn't surprise me but a 6' 5" center does. I wonder if he stays there.

20. Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas

Grade: B+

He is the draft's best center and can also play guard. The Lions have to get better inside, and Ragnow will make that happen.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Ragnow over Landry though?

IIRC, Gil Brandt had Landry as his #36 prospect. 

And if the Lions passed on Landry, with his college coach on their staff, he’s liable to drop to the middle of Round 2. 

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Cincinnati just took a center so chances are he wouldn't have been available. You also need someone to trade up. Cincinnati and Baltimore aren't taking a QB so New England won't trade up for Lamar Jackson. Only other potential suitor for a QB would be Jacksonville.

Yet another first round offensive linemen.  That makes 4 out of the past 6 drafts.  On top of that they signed two high priced FA linemen last year.  I swear this is like Dombrowski trying to get a good Tigers bullpen. 

I don’t trust PFF, but a lot of folks here bring it up:

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yet another first round offensive linemen.  That makes 4 out of the past 6 drafts.  On top of that they signed two high priced FA linemen last year.  I swear this is like Dombrowski trying to get a good Tigers bullpen. 

Not all of that was the current GM. Reiff was a solid tackle who they decided to replace with Wagner. Essentially Wagner was re-signing Reiff. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That is how I felt when they announced the pick. I know that some of the O-Line moves like Reiff, Tomlinson, etc. were made pre-Quinn and he can't at all be faulted for that. But it definitely feels like Dombrowski and the bullpen, ever trying to get it right.

Strengths: Size, power, experience.

Weaknesses: Leverage, injury concerns.

The Lions offensive line ranked last in the NFL in adjusted line yards, according to Football Outsiders. Their running back play was terrible, but often there was simply nowhere for them to run.

Frank Ragnow missed much of the 2017 season with an ankle injury. He could not participate in the Senior Bowl and only lifted at the combine, but he was a full participant at Arkansas’ pro day. Ragnow is a big mauler with pretty good balance and awareness. He adjusts to blitzes well, peels off to engage linebackers and finishes his blocks with hostility. Ragnow lets some defenders get low on him, negating his power, and may have trouble against quick, cagey interior defenders. But assuming his bill of health is clean, Ragnow is a likely starter and a potential steal.

This is a solid pick, though with Harold Landry and others on the board (including a pair of centers who may be as good or better than Ragnow), it may not have been the Lions’ best selection.

Grade: B

I don't hate it. I thought they would go defense, but he could be an elite player at his position, and fills a need. Can't ask for much more.

Lets be honest, the Lions fate lies with Stafford and the offense. They need to protect Stafford and run the ball. The defense just needs to be good enough and not give up points like the Patriots did last year. 

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

About as uninspiring a pick as you could make.

Uninspiring doesn't bother me so much. A football team usually needs a LOT of players every year and the Lions more than most because of previous poor management. It is probably more important not to miss on any picks than hit a home run with any particular one - so I'm OK with steady and boring.

i get it.  fix the oline and pummel people on offense.  offense wins championships now.

lets see what they do with the rest of the draft.

watch the next two rounds be running back and tight end.  lol.