Keepleyland2

4/22 @1:10 Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

When you consider the b.s. opening day call (took too long to justify overturning it) and the Game 2 meltdown Friday  this team could be 11-8 right now, they really could be.   Then if you just took away that Cleveland meltdown they could be 11-4 and those other 4 losses and then you take those two 1-0 losses and have those games in warmer weather, they probably win them and this team is 13-2.     Just do those couple of minor little things and THE TIGERS ARE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL !!!!!!    

• Like 1

Red Sox fans are insufferable.    They are whining about being no-hit because and error was called on a tough play and their guy ran out of the baseline and was called out (you can't run on the outer grass).    The team is 17-3 and they are miserable.   We are 9-10 and thrilled.   Baseball is a funny game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Red Sox fans are insufferable.    They are whining about being no-hit because and error was called on a tough play and their guy ran out of the baseline and was called out (you can't run on the outer grass).    The team is 17-3 and they are miserable.   We are 9-10 and thrilled.   Baseball is a funny game. 

and they were shutout in one of Sale's starts - which makes it even better.

THat is really shocking that the Red Sox got no hit.  I didn't see their lineup but I'd imagine it was one of the better ones that has ever been no hit before.   Atleast in recent memory. 

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

THat is really shocking that the Red Sox got no hit.  I didn't see their lineup but I'd imagine it was one of the better ones that has ever been no hit before.   Atleast in recent memory. 

And Manaea's no power pitcher either. Low 90's FB. Mostly slider/change, gets a good number of ground balls -  does get a good swing and miss % on both the slider and change, not so many on his FB.

Looking at the box, Bogearts (DL) and Moreland (LHP) didn't play. So not quite their top lineup - then again they had JD against a lefty.

As long as fan's expectations remain  pretty low and there is no pressure on the Tiger players,   this season has the makings of success.  I still say that any amount of wins over 70 is a bonus.   Most real Tiger baseball fans just want the team to be competitive and fun to watch.  And so far for the most part,  they haven't disappointed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

As long as fan's expectations remain  pretty low and there is no pressure on the Tiger players,   this season has the makings of success.  I still say that any amount of wins over 70 is a bonus.   Most real Tiger baseball fans just want the team to be competitive and fun to watch.  And so far for the most part,  they haven't disappointed.

There was a mention of this in one of the newspaper articles today - they've not been competitive in 2 games of 19 - both in Cleveland.  I'd take that ratio all year, it would make for a fun and interesting season.

2 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

There was a mention of this in one of the newspaper articles today - they've not been competitive in 2 games of 19 - both in Cleveland.  I'd take that ratio all year, it would make for a fun and interesting season.

Just as long as they don't finish within Verlander's win differential of the playoffs. I'd as soon not swing for personally strangling Al Avila.

:/

I don't find any correlation between success and win-loss record this season.  The focus is simply to get the organization into the direction of competing again in a few years.  So, acquiring and developing those pieces that could be a part of that next window of opportunity.

I do agree it is fun to see the Tigers doing reasonably well versus what the expectations were.  But there will be some lean times ahead once the schedule gets tougher.

GIven the schedule, I don't think a 9-10 record is really any better than expected.

The Tigers are 0-8 against teams with a winning record (0-3 vs Pitt, 0-4 vs Cleveland, 0-1 vs NYY)

The Tigers are 9-2 against Chicago, Baltimore and KC, all of which have a winning percentage this season of under .300.

The Tigers have played 12 of their 19 games at home. 

• Like 2

Good post lordstanley.  I refuse to jump on the bandwagon that "the Tigers are better than we don't think".  There may be stretches of 3-17 coming up .. or worse.  But this certainly has been fun.  I hope it lasts a couple more weeks, at least.  

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

GIven the schedule, I don't think a 9-10 record is really any better than expected.

The Tigers are 0-8 against teams with a winning record (0-3 vs Pitt, 0-4 vs Cleveland, 0-1 vs NYY)

The Tigers are 9-2 against Chicago, Baltimore and KC, all of which have a winning percentage this season of under .300.

The Tigers have played 12 of their 19 games at home. 

I kind of figured that record against Chicago, Baltimore, and Kansas City would be more around .500.

Although on the flip side, I wouldn't think they'd have been swept against the other competition.

Looking at individual players, I think there are more above what I expected than below.

Results through 19 games can be so fun....

Ugh, look at that KC lineup.  Mike Moustakas must hate going to work in the morning.  I see Ryan Goins is hitting .240...don't worry, he'll cool off.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Good post lordstanley.  I refuse to jump on the bandwagon that "the Tigers are better than we don't think".  There may be stretches of 3-17 coming up .. or worse.  But this certainly has been fun.  I hope it lasts a couple more weeks, at least.  

I would say that the Tigers are better than we were expecting, but our expectations were rather low, so it still doesn't mean they're any good.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Good post lordstanley.  I refuse to jump on the bandwagon that "the Tigers are better than we don't think". 

I've been on since the start of the season. Only because think of how much went wrong last year to end up with the top pick. I mean they went like 4-30 to end the year. Few teams have a stretch like that at any point. 

Outstanding slide by Candelario.  IMHO, that's partly Gardenhire's doing .. playing the game right (including proper sliding)  .. something that Ausmus was unable to instill into his teams.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Outstanding slide by Candelario.  IMHO, that's partly Gardenhire's doing .. playing the game right (including proper sliding)  .. something that Ausmus was unable to instill into his teams.

Agreed.  This team has made some mistakes this year, but it seems like they are playing much more fundamentally sound baseball this year.  Being aggressive, but not to a point where they are giving outs away on the base paths most every game. 

That aspect under Ausmus was maddening, how many guys would make outs on the base paths (caught stealing, pick offs, trying to take the extra base and being out by a mile).

Top of 5th .. did not appreciate Jacoby Jones pulling up short on that short foul fly to left field.  IMHO, he did not give 100%.  Batter walked next pitch.  0 outs