Keepleyland2

4/21 @1:10 Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

3 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Mea Culpa. This is not a 105 loss team as I thought. I have a bet with a friend that Detroit would be worse than Cincinnati. The bet is a Olivia serie V Melanio Robusto (5 inch x 52 gauge) cigar. It appears I am going to lose that bet. No matter. I am going to enjoy watching the Tigers play.

Well,  hold off -  a couple key injuries and they could be.  

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Trades, too.  Anything we get out of this season is nice, but 2019-2020 are the true rebuilding years where our young pitchers take their lumps. Lugo and Stewart, too.

By July 31, I suspect we’ll be saying good bye to Fulmer, Castellanos and Greene.  Maybe Fiers and Liriano, too.

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Trades, too.  Anything we get out of this season is nice, but 2019-2020 are the true rebuilding years where our young pitchers take their lumps. Lugo and Stewart, too.

By July 31, I suspect we’ll be saying good bye to Fulmer, Castellanos and Greene.  Maybe Fiers and Liriano, too.

I am sure they are targeting 2021 as the year it turns around.    Tough to know all the big prospects we care about won't see any ML action until September 2019 at the earliest.     I am talking about Manning, Perez, Faedo, Burrows, Cameron, Rogers, Soto, Paredes.    Dawell Lugo & Christin Stewart are  band-aids.  

7 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

McCant field a bunt.

The rookie is catching on to this place.

7 hours ago, kj2018 said:

Duffy never looked sharp today.

Its because I jinxed him.

You’re welcome.

5 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

There are some great bullpen names around the league this year - Grimm, Bummer.

Former Tiger Rondon has nice ring to it.  Especially the “Former Tiger” part.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am sure they are targeting 2021 as the year it turns around.    Tough to know all the big prospects we care about won't see any ML action until September 2019 at the earliest.     I am talking about Manning, Perez, Faedo, Burrows, Cameron, Rogers, Soto, Paredes.    Dawell Lugo & Christin Stewart are  band-aids.  

Massive speculation here, but what if (big, huuuge IF), we're sitting at July 31st and this team is somehow only a game or two back, and actually in the mix for a wildcard spot (or dare I say  the division)...that might make things quite difficult/interesting for the org to let a bunch of guys go.  What would you like to see in spot like that? Stand pat and try to make a run, or continue to plan/make moves for the future?

I really don't think it'll play out that way, but who knows, sports things can happen.

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Other than the Friday night cap, they are less painful to watch than some Tiger teams that finished with better records than this one  will. But keep reality at hand, right now KC is a really, really bad baseball team and Chicago ain't very good either.

I know you didn't ask me but I referred to this yesterday.   I'd still try to trade some older pieces - Liriano, Fiers, Victor, AWilson, Greene.

Just let the kids know that if we're making the playoffs it's on you - and we're doubling down on you by opening more playing time for you kids.  Try to dress it up a bit for them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Massive speculation here, but what if (big, huuuge IF), we're sitting at July 31st and this team is somehow only a game or two back, and actually in the mix for a wildcard spot (or dare I say  the division)...that might make things quite difficult/interesting for the org to let a bunch of guys go.  What would you like to see in spot like that? Stand pat and try to make a run, or continue to plan/make moves for the future?

I really don't think it'll play out that way, but who knows, sports things can happen.

Look at the schedule down the stretch. If we have done well versus the contending teams maybe we take a shot, if not they will put us away in August and September. 

24 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I know you didn't ask me but I referred to this yesterday.   I'd still try to trade some older pieces - Liriano, Fiers, Victor, AWilson, Greene.

Just let the kids know that if we're making the playoffs it's on you - and we're doubling down on you by opening more playing time for you kids.  Try to dress it up a bit for them.

Disagree maybe on Greene. I think he'd still be cheap to resign/extend if they decide they like him and he could stick around for a number of years as a reliever. I would agree the rest this list are transients.

But I could a problem being that there are so many bad teams this year  there may be too many sellers and not enough buyers to make a good market after the break.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

... there are so many bad teams this year  there may be too many sellers and not enough buyers to make a good market after the break.

So true.  Tigers will be very fortunate to earn the #1 draft pick again.  9_9

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Disagree maybe on Greene. I think he'd still be cheap to resign/extend if they decide they like him and he could stick around for a number of years as a reliever. I would agree the rest this list are transients.

But I could a problem being that there are so many bad teams this year  there may be too many sellers and not enough buyers to make a good market after the break.

If Greene is still closing and having a decent season at the deadline, he'd probably be more valuable in a trade than he would be as a Tiger the next couple of years.  Relievers tend to come and go pretty quickly.  I would never make a reliever a significant part of a re-build.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

If Greene is still closing and having a decent season at the deadline, he'd probably be more valuable in a trade than he would be as a Tiger the next couple of years.  Relievers tend to come and go pretty quickly.  I would never make a reliever a significant part of a re-build.  

IDK, it will be interesting to see if Greene does well enough to push up his value - I kinda figure him to be one of those guys in a second tier that don't get that expensive or command that much interest. I guess we'll see,