chasfh

The 2018 Detroit Tigers Season (Already In Progress)

53 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

What has gotten into Blaine Hardy?  Not only is he starting, but he’s become the Clayton Kershaw of the International League. 

Behind every good ERA is a good woman.

I mean I won't judge.... if that's what it takes....  I'm in.  I mean... I'll support their efforts.  I won't be IN....   I'll just be cool with their choices.... you know....

I think I would'of tried breathing through my eyelids first, but whatever.

On 4/23/2018 at 5:00 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

I like that with Gonzales, Al looked at player's family members for insight into his possible physical development prospects. Seems like a no brainer but I wonder how often it's actually done.

He learned that from the Fielders.  

• Like 1

Wednesday’s game with the Rays is the Mlb.tv free game of the day.  It’s a day game  

This is the first year in five or six years I haven’t had the premium package because I didn’t want to spend $100+ to see the torture, so instead I’m listening to it for $20 instead.  

A few years ago I purchased the last week of the season for $10, and through some oversight they never turned it off so I got the entire following season for free.  I might try that again this year but I doubt if they’d be stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. 

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He learned that from the Fielders.  

The most important thing about the Fielders, during Prince's minor league career, was whether or not there would be enough food in the various minor league communities that he would have to play in, especially if his Dad was in town to watch him play.  He was loved everywhere by the minor league fans but they knew that they would be on half-rations while he was there.  More than once when Cecil was in town he'd rent a van and they would back it up to the local grocery store and take all of the meat.  All of it.  In some of those minor league towns grocery deliveries are only once a week so you can imagine the privations that the locals had to endure.  It was with mixed emotions that they greeted the news that he was being promoted, they had loved him but at least now they knew that they would be able to feed their children again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First full month complete. On pace for 66-96 finish.

Good: 3 Cs are hitting; Martin and JaCoby look competent; Liriano, Fiers, Boyd, Fulmer, Stumpf, JJ all look to have short term trade value or long term rebuilding value; Victor has not died.

Bad: Zimmermann, Norris, Greene, Wilson, Mahtook, Iglesias, Machado are all performing at the very low end of the range of their possible value. When this season is over, Zimmermann is still owed $50M 

Other: Except for Cleveland, every team has competition for the division and the wild cards. Hopefully that creates trade demand. The Nats and the Dodgers might be desperate soon. Hopefully Mize continues to do what he's been doing. Some prospects are up, some are down and some are injured 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Bad: Zimmermann, Norris, Greene, Wilson, Mahtook, Iglesias, Machado are all performing at the very low end of the range of their possible value. When this season is over, Zimmermann is still owed $50M 

I share the disappointment with Wilson, Greene, Mahtook. Granted Mikie was a little long in the tooth for a big improvement in an OF, but I guess JD had conditioned us to optimism.

The Norris situation has achieved some clarity - who knows whether the surgery will work but 25 yr old guys should not be losing 5 mph. Of the rest of the group Iglesias always seem to put up most of his offense in streaks. He will probably end up back near his career average after a couple of hot streaks like the one been on the last few days. 

Never been sure what Machado ever did to make people think he had upside value - he was a career 250 hitter in the minors. He is just a placeholder as best.

Some chatter about promoting Christin Stewart in the game threads.  He has been on a bit of tear lately.  The one thing that really catches my eye is his BB to SO ratio this season compared to previous seasons.  12 to 14 through April.  168 to 337 from 2015 through 2017.  Is this sustainable?  Has he made a significant adjustment to his approach at the plate?

I mentioned it in the game thread, but the Tigers run differential is -3, which is not bad.  Certainly not a 100-loss type team differential (or even a 90-loss team type differential, for that matter).

They are 4-6 in one run games and 4-3 in blow out wins, so that largely explains why they have underperformed record wise relative to run differential.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Some chatter about promoting Christin Stewart in the game threads.  He has been on a bit of tear lately.  The one thing that really catches my eye is his BB to SO ratio this season compared to previous seasons.  12 to 14 through April.  168 to 337 from 2015 through 2017.  Is this sustainable?  Has he made a significant adjustment to his approach at the plate?

Hard to say in such a small sample, but still better than alternative. Is he seeing pitches better and just making more contact? Is he identifying pitches that are outside the zone better and laying off them and getting better counts? Are pitchers making an effort to pitch around him and basically handing him more walks?

Could be something weird with AAA pitchers having more control and he has fewer opportunities to flail away at pitches that are nowhere near the zone. 

Whatever it is, it’s nice to see. 

The Tigers are going through the softest stretch of the season for them, and also of any team by a long shot. They could still end up 18-18 although they'll have to pick up the pace to get there.

After that, they have Mariners and Indians at home, then Mariners and Twins on the road, then White Sox at home. Then it gets really fun: Angels, Blue Jays, Yankees make up DH, @ Red Sox, Indians. Thirty-one games in 31 days with one day off. At least most of that's at home, but still a tough stretch.

two muscle related issues for Cabrera already and it's barely May.

They are going to need to get Cabrera to sign onto a Tom Brady style fitness system (muscle pliability) to have any hope of keeping him playing.

So I would make every single player on team available for trade at the deadline. The tigers seem to think that you can organically build a roster from mostly homegrown players. If they believe that, you won't see a contender till 2021 b/c of all the work needed in the minor league system. 

That means that none of the players on the 25 man roster will be cost controlled when the team is ready to win. So aside from Zimm and Cabrera, everyone including Candelario, Boyd, and Jimenez are all available IMO.

22 minutes ago, kdog said:

So I would make every single player on team available for trade at the deadline. The tigers seem to think that you can organically build a roster from mostly homegrown players. If they believe that, you won't see a contender till 2021 b/c of all the work needed in the minor league system. 

That means that none of the players on the 25 man roster will be cost controlled when the team is ready to win. So aside from Zimm and Cabrera, everyone including Candelario, Boyd, and Jimenez are all available IMO.

Not that there will be much interest in many of them.

But I disagree about the youngest players, At some point you have to start planning on extending the players you like or you will never get there, even Houston didn't win with all guys under 30. That said, there is still no-one on this roster that is a slam dunk for wanting to extend. Candelario and Fulmer might be by the end of the year.

With the way free agency has been going, I see little reason to extend anyone until the offseason prior to their final year of control, with the exception being a legit stud all star type player, and even then there is little reason to do anything until after the first arb year is complete. 

Fulmer is the one I think would make sense to deal, if the return was similar to or better than the sale or Quintana or verlander deals of recent years. 

You aren’t going to get much of anything for anyone else on the roster. Candelario is fun to dream on, but it’s only been a few months since he was one piece of a deal for good reliever and a backup catcher. 

Things can change quickly. Stewart and lugo could show up in 2019 and replace victor and iglesias’s weak bats and you suddenly have an average offense. And you never know with pitching. 

Just now, Shelton said:

With the way free agency has been going, I see little reason to extend anyone until the offseason prior to their final year of control, with the exception being a legit stud all star type player, and even then there is little reason to do anything until after the first arb year is complete. 

Two sides to the coin with the way the market is changing though. Even if the market isn't what it used to be, you still don't control whether the player signs, and if he won't the return trade value on one year rentals is getting even worse. You can try to depend on deadline deals, which have better yield, but they may or not be there for a player when you are faced with having to move him.

Better to trade them early in some cases. Iglesias is basically bricked at this point as an asset. At $6 million in the last year of arb, he has no value at all.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't know as that Iglesias ever has had much surplus value in trade.

exactly. You still have to put guys on the field. Sometimes I get the impression there is an idea out there that every player somehow has more value to someone else than they have to you. Just not always true. If you don't have an MLB shortstop in your system, 6 mill to put one the field is a normal cost of doing business. If/when players become available in the system, that changes, but not until they do.