chasfh

The 2018 Detroit Tigers Season (Already In Progress)

So, the thing is, I don’t actually think this team is more fun to watch. Sorry for the confusion. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

So, the thing is, I don’t actually think this team is more fun to watch. Sorry for the confusion. 

Debbie Downer

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

I haven't been able to watch as much this season so I have been trying to live that vicariously through you.  And now you are telling me its all been a lie?  ...sniffles...  When do the Pistons start playing again?

On 6/13/2018 at 10:17 PM, Shelton said:

I get how it can be fun to root for the underdog and watching  individual games is fun too.  However, I don't think they have a particularly interesting team.  They don't have many good players and I don't think they have a lot of young players that are going to be part of their future.  I think it's funny that they are still in the race and it would be funny if they won the division with 80 wins while the Yankees or Red Sox have to play a play-in game after winning 110 games.  If this bunch of rag tags becomes a 90-win team that would be something, but I can't see it happening.  

I think when people say "fun to watch' it means 'they're not blowing games' and 'making mistakes on the field'.  Visually it's demoralizing to have the lead then lose it late in the game.

Looking back at their situational records, they weren't blowing many games in past years either.  2017 was definitely not fun, so I will use 2016 when they were actually pretty good as an example. 

in 2016, they were 63-8 when leading after 6, 69-7 when leading after 7 and 75-2 when leading after 8.  

This year they are 25-4. 27-3 and 31-2, so it's very similar.

In tie games after 6, 7 and 8 innings 

2016: 10-11, 8-7, 6-9 

2018: 4-8, 5-5, 4-5 

When they are behind after 6, 7 and 8 innings

2016: 12-56, 7-61 and 3-69 in 2016.

2018: 7-25,  4-27 and 1-30 in 2018.

So, the late game results are really very similar.  I think it's perception that they aren't blowing games this year based on low expectations.  The fact that they are playing better defense probably plays a part too because that's the kind of thing that really sticks in your mind.  

17 hours ago, Oblong said:

but they didn't have a goose last year.  They had Brad.

And Brad was just a lame duck.  

4 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

FIFY

You know, I thought that was a pretty good joke. But I guess it flew right over your head. 

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

You know, I thought that was a pretty good joke. But I guess it flew right over your head. 

I did note the joke.  Just trying to push it further.  No offense meant (except to Dartmouth Brad).

If Dipoto makes a major move in the next six weeks, he'll probably look to fortify a quietly effective rotation. The Mariners have interest in Blue Jays left-hander J.A. Happ, and they tried to acquire left-hander Matthew Boyd -- a Seattle-area native -- in talks with the Tigers two offseasons ago.

In fact, the Mariners asked the Tigers for Boyd as part of a larger trade conversation involving J.D. Martinezduring the winter of 2016-17. Seattle proposed sending right-hander Taijuan Walker and prospects to Detroit for Martinez and Boyd. When the Tigers declined, the Mariners dealt Walker and infielder Ketel Marte to the D-backs for two likely 2018 All-Stars: Segura and outfielder Mitch Haniger, along with left-hander Zac Curtis, who is now with the Phillies.

Boyd is one of the Tigers' most coveted players in trade talks, and he still could be dealt this year, despite Detroit's competitive first half. The left-hander is 4-4 with a 3.23 ERA in 13 starts, and his trade value has never been higher -- particularly in a market generally viewed as thin on starting pitching.

Morosi

I echo some of the sentiments here. I'm glad the team is over-performing and exceeding the (very) low expectations we had in place, but it IS a boring team with no real hot prospects to be truly excited for. Meh.

How do we measure progress on the major league level? You can see some encouraging signs with the prospects. Aside from Jeimer, Jimenez, and a few others has there been much progress.

I think some guys like Machado, Jones, McCann,  Buck, etc have pretty much arrived at what they are.

And you have old guys who can either get minimum value on the trade market(Fiers, Liriano, Greene) and guys at the end of the line(Zimm, Martinez).

24 minutes ago, kdog said:

How do we measure progress on the major league level?

By how fun they are to watch.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This team is better than you think.

they played them even for 7 1/2 of 8 1/2 innings!

The big thing for this team is that we're seeing some guys show that they have a future here (or elsewhere after a trade I suppose), buys like Jiminez, Boyd, and even someone like Goodrum have shown that they can at least play at the MLB level, even if I certainly don't expect any of them to be stars.

We're also seeing a bunch of guys show that they absolutely can't play at the MLB level, so that next year we can replace them with other guys who probably can't play at the MLB level. I know we're all looking forward to that.

4 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

We're also seeing a bunch of guys show that they absolutely can't play at the MLB level, so that next year we can replace them with other guys who probably can't play at the MLB level. I know we're all looking forward to that.

This is an important aspect of the season.

17 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

The big thing for this team is that we're seeing some guys show that they have a future here (or elsewhere after a trade I suppose), buys like Jiminez, Boyd, and even someone like Goodrum have shown that they can at least play at the MLB level, even if I certainly don't expect any of them to be stars.

We know that they can play at the Major League level for the time being.  Same thing was said for guys like Mikie Mahtook, Tyler Collins, and Brennan Boesch, who all flamed out after 1 decent year.  

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Niko Goodrum follow in the same path as these guys.  I just don't see anything special in him.  

23 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

We know that they can play at the Major League level for the time being.  Same thing was said for guys like Mikie Mahtook, Tyler Collins, and Brennan Boesch, who all flamed out after 1 decent year.  

This seems to be a bit of a strawman...could you link any posts/articles touting Mahtook or Collins as long term MLB players?  

2 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

This seems to be a bit of a strawman...could you link any posts/articles touting Mahtook or Collins as long term MLB players?  

My post is based purely on the numbers.

2017 Mahtook: .276/.330/.457

2015 Collins: .266/.316/.417

2018 Goodrum: .241/.326/.458

33 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Niko Goodrum follow in the same path as these guys.  I just don't see anything special in him.  

I'm not a Goodrum fan, believe me. But he can play multiple positions and has power. He can be a bench player for years to come. I do not want him starting even this season, but, we suck.

If Mahtook could play SS and 2nd Base along with the outfield, he'd still be in MLB too

16 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I am not going to search for specific posts, but there were a lot of people who thought highly of Mahtook's future after last year.  I don't think there was every really much hope that Collins would be more than a fourth outfielder.