chasfh

The 2018 Detroit Tigers Season (Already In Progress)

Pena was actually going to retire and was offered a coaching role coming out of spring training. Supposedly, he opted to take some time and see if an opportunity presented either in the Tigers org or with someone else. It did -- sort of -- once injuries struck, but he ultimately did retire and will be coaching down the line, if not already.

With Salty, he's simply an experienced catcher they signed because they had a ton of injuries that derailed other plans. Similarly, the conversion of Arvicent Perez to the mound was interrupted because of injuries (its now back in progress).

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

That’s possible.  It could be that they aren’t worried so much about production out of Saltalamacchia and he’s just a place holder.  Most 32 year olds signed to a AAA contract don’t have much of a future anyway.

Bet you Salty sees at least 40 plate appearances for the Tigers this season yet.

19 hours ago, chasfh said:

Bet you Salty sees at least 40 plate appearances for the Tigers this season yet.

Nah, I doubt that.  If two of McCann/Hicks/Greiner become unavailable at the same time for a decent stretch, than I could it as possible.  He may not even get a courtesy September call up if that trio is healthy.

Alex Avila with two shutout innings at Coors Field last night.  I bet McCann couldn't do that.  

i think they will use the All Star break to dispose of Victor. Send him off to pasture without much fanfare.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Hunch?

yeah...the wojo column is also a good indicator that something is up.

I don't see what's in it for the Tigers to let Victor go. They pay him no matter what, he's not blocking anyone at Toledo or Erie breaking down the door to get in, and if the Tigers want a high draft pick next June, Victor playing increases their chances of that. Not only that, but there is no groundswell bubling up demanding Victor get cut, so to whom would the Tigers be caving in by letting him go?

Then there's this:

“He’s riding it out, and these young players look up to him,” Gardenhire said on 97.1 The Ticket this week. “He may not be getting all the hits, but he’***** a lot of balls hard at people. He’s not driving the ball anymore, but goodness gracious, you gotta give him a break on that. I mean, his age is up there, and he means a lot to the club.” 

I say Victor stays until the end.