Jump to content

chasfh

The 2018 Detroit Tigers Season (Already In Progress)

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

which reminds me of something that never ceases to bother me, why do they call it 'occupational therapy' when the patient is retired?

Retirement ain't easy my friend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, iholly said:

This begs the question, will the Tigers be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline?

If the Tigers turn around and try to buy, then that will shred the last hope I have that this organization has any plan to ever contend for the long term as a franchise.

Besides which, who would the Tigers offer a team in trade to pry away a rental for our 2018 run? Alex Faedo? Beau Burrows? Matt Manning? Isaac Paredes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

which reminds me of something that never ceases to bother me, why do they call it 'occupational therapy' when the patient is retired?

You have no idea how many times my wife has had to answer the question... "So you help people get jobs?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If the Tigers turn around and try to buy, then that will shred the last hope I have that this organization has any plan to ever contend for the long term as a franchise.

Besides which, who would the Tigers offer a team in trade to pry away a rental for our 2018 run? Alex Faedo? Beau Burrows? Matt Manning? Isaac Paredes? 

The closest thing they should do to be "buyers" is to not trade anyone, ride it out with this group,  and perhaps pick up a no risk player like a Matt Stairs in 2006.  By that i mean.... trade cash or something. 

Even then I can't think of a scenario to justify a pickup... but that's the only type I would in theory support.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 10:28 AM, LooseGoose said:

Which is somewhat amazing considering his intellect and background.

And that he was a catcher and "managed" pitchers his entire playing career...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

And that he was a catcher and "managed" pitchers his entire playing career...

I think the game has just changed, and maybe he thought he was too close to having been in the game to accept it has already changed from his experience. He managed his pitchers like it was still 1980. I'd like some aspects of pitching as it was then to be that way again, but I accept that it isn't the way it is right now. When maybe the most rubber armed guy in the league (JV) can't manage 5 complete games in an average season, most guys just are not going to give you even 7 anymore and most relievers are in trouble at 20 pitches. There is too much strain on pitching in baseball - I don't know what can be done about it, but it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

He managed his pitchers like it was still 1980

I do not agree.  He managed his pitchers like he didn't know how.  In fact, he managed the entire team like he didn't know how ..and sometimes gave me the impression that he acted as if he should be 'entitled' to have had a better record than he did. 

Have said before ..several times ..that Brad may have been the worst manager in my baseball memory spanning the past 51 years.  IMO ..he was a terrible hire ..and for the benefit of the franchise he should have been fired 2 years before his contract ran out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

I do not agree.  He managed his pitchers like he didn't know how.  In fact, he managed the entire team like he didn't know how ..and sometimes gave me the impression that he acted as if he should be 'entitled' to have had a better record than he did. 

Have said before ..several times ..that Brad may have been the worst manager in my baseball memory spanning the past 51 years.  IMO ..he was a terrible hire ..and for the benefit of the franchise he should have been fired 2 years before his contract ran out.

IDK - hard to say without being in his mind. I always got the impression Brad did have a plan - I just didn't think he planned against the right probabilities. I don't know whether that counts as not knowing 'how' to manage or not. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tigers will not be buyers.  Will try and sell but will find a very sleepy trade market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I hate Gardenhire's bullpen strategy.  I hate it when pitchers are assigned specific innings to pitch.  Use your best relievers in high leverage situations regardless of the inning.  If a reliever is doing good, keep him in until either a) he tires out or b) hitters start figuring him out.  Similar situation on Friday when Jimenez only pitched like 12 pitches in the 8th inning of a tie game, Gardenhire puts in Greene and he blows it.  Why?  It's a tie game, you don't know how many innings it's going to take before it's over.  Leave Jimenez for at least another inning.  

You can still monitor Jimenez' innings without assigning him the 8th inning and having him pitch regardless if it's a 1-0 or a 9-0 game.  Jimenez has appeared in 35 games this year, top 5 in all of baseball.  How many of those appearances were wasted in blowout games?  Gardenhire is taking the lazy approach here. 

He acts like he uses the analytics department by wasting Candelario in the leadoff spot for a handful of games instead of using them for things that really matter.  Either that or our analytics department is pure trash.  

Have I mentioned before how much I dislike Gardenhire and wish we would have never signed him?  I miss Ausmus.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 9:26 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

which reminds me of something that never ceases to bother me, why do they call it 'occupational therapy' when the patient is retired?

My mother (retired) is going through OT & PT right now.  What she told us (as explained to her) was that OT was more fine motor skills while PT was a bit more general strength and stamina. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

 

I hate Gardenhire's bullpen strategy.  I hate it when pitchers are assigned specific innings to pitch.  Use your best relievers in high leverage situations regardless of the inning.  If a reliever is doing good, keep him in until either a) he tires out or b) hitters start figuring him out.  Similar situation on Friday when Jimenez only pitched like 12 pitches in the 8th inning of a tie game, Gardenhire puts in Greene and he blows it.  Why?  It's a tie game, you don't know how many innings it's going to take before it's over.  Leave Jimenez for at least another inning.  

You can still monitor Jimenez' innings without assigning him the 8th inning and having him pitch regardless if it's a 1-0 or a 9-0 game.  Jimenez has appeared in 35 games this year, top 5 in all of baseball.  How many of those appearances were wasted in blowout games?  Gardenhire is taking the lazy approach here. 

He acts like he uses the analytics department by wasting Candelario in the leadoff spot for a handful of games instead of using them for things that really matter.  Either that or our analytics department is pure trash.  

Have I mentioned before how much I dislike Gardenhire and wish we would have never signed him?  I miss Ausmus.  

Not all innings are the same. One might take 12 pitches. Another might take 25. Take your 12 pitch inning from the young kid and bank it. 

That said, I would have used Jimenez in the 7th last night. Maybe he gets an out on 2 pitches. Maybe he needs 10. Deal with the 8th inning when you get there. 

To gardenhire’s credit, I believe that he was prepared to use Jimenez in the 8th even if the tigers were losing. 

Whatever, though, it’s not that big of a deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting bad relievers into high leverage situations is probably the most important thing managers can actually control, so I'm not shocked gardenhire sucks at it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Not all innings are the same. One might take 12 pitches. Another might take 25. Take your 12 pitch inning from the young kid and bank it. 

That said, I would have used Jimenez in the 7th last night. Maybe he gets an out on 2 pitches. Maybe he needs 10. Deal with the 8th inning when you get there. 

To gardenhire’s credit, I believe that he was prepared to use Jimenez in the 8th even if the tigers were losing. 

Whatever, though, it’s not that big of a deal. 

I'm 100%  all in on using your best reliever at highest leverage, roles be damned. But in this case looking at the rest of the game situation aside from the bases being loaded. Adrianza had 2 HR in 150 PA, balls were dying in center all game, he's a 250 hitter, it's the bottom of the line-up, whereas Jimenez is lined up to face the top of the order the next inning. I still might have taken the bases juiced as the bigger factor, but I can see the thinking the other way and can't fault it as being particularly out of line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm 100%  all in on using your best reliever at highest leverage, roles be damned. But in this case looking at the rest of the game situation aside from the bases being loaded. Adrianza had 2 HR in 150 PA, he's a 250 hitter, it's the bottom of the line-up, whereas Jimenez is lined up to face the top of the order the next inning. I still might have taken the bases juiced as the bigger factor, but I can see the thinking the other way and can't fault it that much.

I could see this thinking if they were up 2 or 3, but in a one run game even a bloop puts you behind. Putting in your reliever who doesn't miss bats at all was just dumb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Putting bad relievers into high leverage situations is probably the most important thing managers can actually control, so I'm not shocked gardenhire sucks at it 

His body language when he does it is better than Ausmus though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if Turner is the next long reliever.  I just know that he is untouchable unless somebody overpays for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't know if Turner is the next long reliever.  I just know that he is untouchable unless somebody overpays for him.  

I see his FB was up to 98 last season. It would be too comic if Turner ever turned into a good reliever for the Tigers - it would be the ultimate bookend to the Andrew Miller story. Of course the fact that it would be a fun story means it has virtually zero chance to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×