chasfh

The 2018 Detroit Tigers Season (Already In Progress)

I'm liking the way Gardenhire is using Lewicky. Very old school long reliever. Keep as much BP powder dry as you can for the games when you have a better shot.

Who here would have believed that the Tigers would show up in the Wild Card standings a third of the way into the season? Be honest, now ...

IMG_9204.thumb.jpg.f64c4ce1fe083f4319100ba69b0f1223.jpg

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Who here would have believed that the Tigers would show up in the Wild Card standings a third of the way into the season? Be honest, now ...

IMG_9204.thumb.jpg.f64c4ce1fe083f4319100ba69b0f1223.jpg

Why isn't the West on the left side of the screen and the East on the right side of the screen?

20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Why isn't the West on the left side of the screen and the East on the right side of the screen?

I'm looking south from Canada, it looks fine to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I'm looking south from Canada, it looks fine to me.

You guys are always looking down on us, eh?

10 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

And why is Greenland bigger than Canada?

Oh, here we go, #### measuring now.

Hey, since when is "l-a-n-d" a naughty word?

On 5/20/2018 at 12:56 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm liking the way Gardenhire is using Lewicky. Very old school long reliever. Keep as much BP powder dry as you can for the games when you have a better shot.

Lewicki knows that if he takes hits  (or pretends to take hits) for the big guys, he will reap the benefits in the long term.  

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

East coast bias.  

Deuce -- .311/ .370 / .897

Even Deuce will be hard-pressed to avoid a call up with those numbers.  I observe that although he knows plenty of girls in Detroit, many of them have relocated to Toledo.

• Like 1

Deuce probably will decline the call up until Lewicki gets sent back down.  He needs his right hand man to run his enterprises in Toledo. 

Story from McCosky about Stewart, most of it is forgettable except at the end this comment by Gene Roof:

Roof projects that Stewart will play left field for the Tigers.

“The problem putting him in right field — it’s a shorter porch here (at Comerica Park) but you get to other parks and it’s going to be bigger,” he said. “There is a lot of territory in left field here but with all the analytics we have and the way we can position them, he will be fine out there.

It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since they moved JD to RF that the Tigers have been going against the grain by trying to put the better OF in left instead of right. If this comment by Roof means anything, it may be that the Tigers are beginning to pay more attention to numbers than guesswork. Of course, I don't know where that leaves Castellanos....

EDIT: but at least Nick does have enough arm to throw a guy out from the RF corner, as he did today.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:47 AM, Casimir said:

East to West.

Nick Castellanos, since 5/31/2017, first game after something like an 0 for 15 slump: 

154 games at roughly: .310/.350/.545. 27 HR. 19.5% K, 5.5% BB, BABIP of .350 that looks to be sustainable. 

For his career, prior to that game: .258/.308/.420. 24.9% K, 6.5 BB, BABIP of .323. 

The lower walk rate is concerning but I get the sense he has figured something out and is probably into his prime at this point. I'd expect a few more homers to show up sometime here. 

As far as defense, Fangraphs has him at -3.2 in RF. Let's call that an expected -9.0 for the year. That would have been better than they had Nick Markakis rated last year and about 2.2 behind Jay Bruce. Toward the bottom of the pack, but not an absolute butcher.