Sign in to follow this  
cruzer1

Gerber called upon

26th man for dh tomorrow. Don't get it. He's not playing well.

51 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Good player. Real Good Defense. Gardy likes him. Platoon with Jacoby.

He’s only going to be up for a day. 

Good for him.   He has potential to be a good 4th outfielder - he can play anywhere out there.   Better than Tyler Collins.   I hope he does gets to start today.        I thought they'd bring up 2 pitchers and I knew Saupold would be one of them.   

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

He’s only going to be up for a day. 

He can platoon for one day.  

It was supposed to be Deuce but the service in the Toledo strip clubs aren't very good.  

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It was supposed to be Deuce but the service in the Toledo strip clubs aren't very good.  

Actually, he didn't want to disrupt his lifestyle and business interests just for one day.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Actually, he didn't want to disrupt his lifestyle and business interests just for one day.  

Fridays are when he gets his collections.... he's gotta be around in case any points gotta be made.

gazzo_rocky.jpg

• Like 2

This is way off topic but I figured I post it here because this guy was an AAAA player.  His name is Matt Antonelli, he's a former 1st round pick of the Padres in 2006 I believe.  I just found his page the other day and I've been binge watching.  I find it pretty fascinating, he goes in depth about the workings of MLB and the minors, found out stuff I never knew.  For instance MLB players get $20(maybe it was 50) a day meal money when they are road trips even if they have a 100 million dollar contract.   

https://www.youtube.com/user/TouchEmAllBaseball

I’ve read that minor-league players are essentially slaves.  They don’t even get paid for spring training.  The only guys with any money in the minor leagues are guys that sign good bonus contracts.  The saving grace for all these 30 something guys in AAA is to be called up to fill a slot when someone goes on the DL.  In two weeks they can make more money they would make an entire year playing AAA. 

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’ve read that minor-league players are essentially slaves.  They don’t even get paid for spring training.  The only guys with any money in the minor leagues are guys that sign good bonus contracts.  The saving grace for all these 30 something guys in AAA is to be called up to fill a slot when someone goes on the DL.  In two weeks they can make more money they would make an entire year playing AAA. 

Yeah he said he was making like $250 a week in the minors.  Luckily for him he was a first round pick so he got like a 1 or 2 million dollar signing bonus I believe which helped him get by.  That's why for guys like Gerber to get called up for only a game is a big deal.  They go from making 250 a week to the league minimum for a week which I htink is like 10K.  

• Like 1

One more thing about him I found funny, he was talking about his career and why he never got called back up and he's going through it and he says something like "Yeah then they just dumped me, I think it was an FDA or DFA or something"  then he paused and said "No it was non tendered, that's what it was".  I just found it funny that a pro baseball player didn't even know any of those terms.  He just knew that they were getting rid of him and that was it.  

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

????

Oh, phone service.  Now it makes sense.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

This is way off topic but I figured I post it here because this guy was an AAAA player.  His name is Matt Antonelli, he's a former 1st round pick of the Padres in 2006 I believe.  I just found his page the other day and I've been binge watching.  I find it pretty fascinating, he goes in depth about the workings of MLB and the minors, found out stuff I never knew.  For instance MLB players get $20(maybe it was 50) a day meal money when they are road trips even if they have a 100 million dollar contract.   

https://www.youtube.com/user/TouchEmAllBaseball

I think MLB players get more than that for meal money.  I want to say $200.  That's supposed to cover all expense for the day, not just meals.  Taxis, dry cleaning, tips, etc.

Before each road trip a player is handed an envelope with cash for that trip.  Their responsibility is to make it last.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah he said he was making like $250 a week in the minors.  Luckily for him he was a first round pick so he got like a 1 or 2 million dollar signing bonus I believe which helped him get by.  That's why for guys like Gerber to get called up for only a game is a big deal.  They go from making 250 a week to the league minimum for a week which I htink is like 10K.  

Gerber is on the 40 man, so his minimum salary is like 41k. Still a nice pay bump to be called up to the 25, but he's making more than the typical minor league already.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I think MLB players get more than that for meal money.  I want to say $200.  That's supposed to cover all expense for the day, not just meals.  Taxis, dry cleaning, tips, etc.

Before each road trip a player is handed an envelope with cash for that trip.  Their responsibility is to make it last.

In 2016 the daily per diem was $100. I assume it's around the same for 2018.

Edit: Just looked it up and apparently they cut the per diem in the CBA, so it's like $35 now.

It used to be one day on a MLB roster got you health insurance for life, I believe that's still true.   So that's a pretty big deal.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

????

Oh, phone service.  Now it makes sense.

Mental note: Do not speak ill of Toledo area strip club services to Cas

31 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Mental note: Do not speak ill of Toledo area strip club services to Cas

Nice area.

I'm going to Toledo tomorrow night.

Glass City Marathon

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

Fridays are when he gets his collections.... he's gotta be around in case any points gotta be made.

gazzo_rocky.jpg

This team has a lot of buffers...