Motor City Sonics

Lions 2018 Schedule

i dont see how you can predict the lions this year with patricia.  you just dont know what they'll do.

if the oline is right, they can outscore some folks.  but that defense looks downright scary bad.  the strategy of "where's nevin lawson? ok, throw it there" appears to still be a quite successful one.

I think it's almost impossible to predict teams like the Lions in general.  The terrible teams you know are likely going to win 4 or less, the elite teams 12+ but teams like the Lions that are middle of that pack can finish anywhere.  They may lose 6 games or win 6 games it's just so hard to say, comes down to the turnover margin and how they perform in close games.   In the NFL where so many games are decided by 1 possession and you only play 16 in a season it doesn't take many fortunate plays to take a 7 win team to a 10 win team.

Perhaps Matt Patricia is a mad genius who wants the world to believe the Lions are a lethargic mess only to shock them with a team ready to pounce a week from Monday.    

Perhaps................

Right now it looks like the Lions are closer to a 6-10 team than 8-8.  Regardless it's the Lions, and best policy is to not have any expectations.

• Thanks 1

If Matt & Bob pick Matt Cassell over Jake Rudock, it would be an indication that they actually don't know what they are doing.    Rudock is better and it's not even close.  

Anybody else think Tom Brady is going to put up 45 points against this defense in week 3?

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If Matt & Bob pick Matt Cassell over Jake Rudock, it would be an indication that they actually don't know what they are doing.    Rudock is better and it's not even close.  

yeah - Something I don't like to see in a coach in any sport is a guy who brings in over-the-hill guys because he knows them from the past. Has to be the worst reason in sports to make a roster decision - it's either old boyism or laziness and neither is a good thing in a coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

Anybody else think Tom Brady is going to put up 45 points against this defense in week 3?

he's old, maybe he'll get tired- or Belichek gives him the rest of the night off once it's 30-3.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

he's old, maybe he'll get tired- or Belichek gives him the rest of the night off once it's 30-3.

I console myself with thinking that Patricia is not running any exotic coverages or blitzes in the preseason, but the fact of the matter is that the players do not even know their run fits. It looks like nobody knows what they’re doing out there, and they are at least two steps behind every offense they have played. 

It will be bad for Patricia if he can’t get the defense clicking before the bye; a 1-4 start is increasingly seeming like the most likely scenario. 

40 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

It will be bad for Patricia if he can’t get the defense clicking before the bye; a 1-4 start is increasingly seeming like the most likely scenario. 

At least that would free up my Sunday afternoons sooner than later, lol.

I read nothing into this pre-season. That said, given the lack of changes in personnel  on the defensive side of the ball, you can't help but worry about the lack of depth and overall talent on the field.

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hope for option 3. They sign someone else who is cut. Tom Savage would be a good fit, not that he is good. He would just fit the system for multiple reasons. Savage also has a history with Godsey.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I console myself with thinking that Patricia is not running any exotic coverages or blitzes in the preseason, but the fact of the matter is that the players do not even know their run fits. It looks like nobody knows what they’re doing out there, and they are at least two steps behind every offense they have played. 

The thing that bothers me is Davis, Zettel, Lawson, and A'shawn all look worse than last year. I get it is a new system and Patricia has had 1 month working with them. I am not panicking but early returns have been negative. 

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I hope for option 3. They sign someone else who is cut. Tom Savage would be a good fit, not that he is good. He would just fit the system for multiple reasons. Savage also has a history with Godsey.

I don't know, I think Savage would be a shaky pick, at best.   

19 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

The thing that bothers me is Davis, Zettel, Lawson, and A'shawn all look worse than last year. I get it is a new system and Patricia has had 1 month working with them. I am not panicking but early returns have been negative. 

And the Bears get Mack. 

That OL is going to need to come together with the DLs they will face against MIN and CHI... that’s a quarter of their season. 

quinn has invested a ton of resources into the offensive line.  thats the right way to build an offense, imo (other than getting a qb, which he already had).

this season should tell us whether he made the right personnel decisions.  if he did, with the addition of kerryon johnson the lions offense should be really good and that should be able to cover their defensive shortcomings.

Lions trade Corey Robinson to Panthers for undisclosed draft pick. (Would be a surprise if it is anything better than 6th Round.)

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/09/01/detroit-lions-trade-away-corey-robinson-bears-acquire-khalil-mack/1173127002/

One positive for the Lions is that, before the bye, they don’t play any team with what would be thought of as a dominating pass rush. Only the Pats were in the top 10 last year, and Patricia should have thoughts about slowing them down. The OL should have time to gel, assuming they stay healthy. 

53 minutes ago, Buddha said:

quinn has invested a ton of resources into the offensive line.  thats the right way to build an offense, imo (other than getting a qb, which he already had).

and the idea of building your OLine before your DLine is the correct way to go team wise as well. OLinemen  are going to continue to get better into their late 20s and of course their coordination with each other will continue to improve over at least a season and maybe more. OTOH, you draft stud DLineman and their impact can be immediate, as that is a speed/explosion/reaction position. So if you want them to peak together, you start on the OLine first. That said, it means they may end up on the short end any of any number of shootouts this season.

55 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and the idea of building your OLine before your DLine is the correct way to go team wise as well. OLinemen  are going to continue to get better into their late 20s and of course their coordination with each other will continue to improve over at least a season and maybe more. OTOH, you draft stud DLineman and their impact can be immediate, as that is a speed/explosion/reaction position. So if you want them to peak together, you start on the OLine first. That said, it means they may end up on the short end any of any number of shootouts this season.

As long as they have Stafford they have a shot.  Protect him, give him weapons, and the offense should be able to hang with anyone.

And they're going to need all the points they can get with that defense.