Keepleyland2

4/15 @1:10 New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

Does anyone else see irony between the poor April weather and the Tigers' marketing slogan this season?  "Summer is made for baseball."  Or is it the other way around?

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Does anyone else see irony between the poor April weather and the Tigers' marketing slogan this season?  "Summer is made for baseball."  Or is it the other way around?

Ha. Someone just greeted me this morning by saying "Welcome to the 106th day of January".

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and yet - If bad baseball under conditions that create a poor fan experience is not bad for the game, why is the league concerned about pace play and other fan experience issues, etc?

Because pace of play affects every single game played whereas this April has been a historical anomaly.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Because pace of play affects every single game played whereas this April has been a historical anomaly.

But very few fans go to large numbers of games. That fan that has a bad experience in April may be at the only game he had planned to attend. So you've created a negative emotion memory experience tag in another brain that reduces the chance of that brain even associating buying a baseball ticket with a positive experience when it next decides to plan an entertainment outing.

It probably is all rear-guard action anyway. Baseball is slowing dying no matter what they do at the pro level because kids don't play it much anymore. The playgrounds were the feeder into the whole system, and they are largely empty. Every cultural institution runs it course. Baseball started dying when suburbia started to sprawl and families started getting smaller. There is little way back from those larger forces that baseball has zero control over.

It will become and remain a boutique activity -  without the cultural omnipresence it once had.

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But very few fans go to large numbers of games. That fan that has a bad experience in April may be at the only game he had planned to attend. So you've created a negative emotion memory experience tag in another brain that reduces the chance of that brain even associating buying a baseball ticket with a positive experience when it next decides to plan an entertainment outing.

If you want a better shot at good weather, the choices are shorter regular season, fewer off days, more double headers and/or fewer play-off rounds.

Given the current conditions, they have the season starting and ending at the best dates.

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

OK. I once found a dollar after getting kicked in the balls. Hope someone kicks me in the balls again! 

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It probably is all rear-guard action anyway. Baseball is slowing dying no matter what they do at the pro level because kids don't play it much anymore. The playgrounds were the feeder into the whole system, and they are largely empty. Every cultural institution runs it course. Baseball started dying when suburbia started to sprawl and families started getting smaller. There is little way back from those larger forces that baseball has zero control over.

It will become and remain a boutique activity -  without the cultural omnipresence it once had.

It isn't dying in the Caribbean or Asia.

I don't think cancelling a few games out of 162 matters much long term for fan attraction and growth of the sport.

I also think it's very rare that people's only game a year is in April.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This MAY be one of those things that perpetuates itself.  I do not drive by many playgrounds so it is hard to say if kids are not playing as much.  I think a BIG part of it if it is in fact decreasing is the helicopter parenting going on not allowing kids to roam away from the house to meet up with random kids at the playground to play ball.

My kids are 3 and are going on their 2nd year of t ball.  Last year was hilarious, this year will be a LITTLE better, but there are plenty of kids at the games now.

I think there could be many reasons for the decline in the interest.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It isn't dying in the Caribbean or Asia.

probably exactly because youth population densities are still high in many of those places. That is the real hurdle. You need to have a lot of kids roughly the same age in close enough proximity if you are going to have kids self-organize around playing baseball. That is the ingredient that is most problematic for the future of the fan base.

And I would go back to the contrast between FB and Baseball again. Baseball is not a high action sport - I would argue it's popularity is primarily because it has been the one sport that most of it's fans can experience vicariously as they watch. I can't field a ground ball like Jose Iglesias - yet I do know exactly what it feels like to make that play. I think that is why we watch a sport that has so much less of the speed or impact or athleticism on display that football, hockey or basketball does. Those sports stand on their own visually and emotionally as entertainment to a degree that I don't think baseball can if it loses the baseball fan's personal experience of having played the game.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Ha. Someone just greeted me this morning by saying "Welcome to the 106th day of January".

I've started asking people if they have gotten their Christmas shopping done yet.

59 minutes ago, Yoda said:

OK. I once found a dollar after getting kicked in the balls. Hope someone kicks me in the balls again! 

I have a dollar, but distance is a pity.