Keepleyland2

4/15 @1:10 New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

Think about the fact that the Tigers don't play south of Cleveland or West of Chicago until the very end of the month in balmy Pittsburgh or Baltimore.   The schedule is so jacked for the Tigers this year that Kansas City comes here twice this month without the Tigers going to KC.    How is this fair to the Tiger organization, the players or the fans?     The team is bad enough without the MLB finding ways to keep more fans away.   We can get one road trip to Texas or Tampa or the West.    Even Toronto.     Do they just pick a team to screw over?    I know the weather is a total mind**** this year but still - give us SOMETHING.    

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Think about the fact that the Tigers don't play south of Cleveland or West of Chicago until the very end of the month in balmy Pittsburgh or Baltimore.   The schedule is so jacked for the Tigers this year that Kansas City comes here twice this month without the Tigers going to KC.    How is this fair to the Tiger organization, the players or the fans?     The team is bad enough without the MLB finding ways to keep more fans away.   We can get one road trip to Texas or Tampa or the West.    Even Toronto.     Do they just pick a team to screw over?    I know the weather is a total mind**** this year but still - give us SOMETHING.    

What is it that you expect them to do now?

The Kansas City in Detroit twice thing is odd.  The White Sox visit Kansas City twice in April, too.  That is very odd, yes.

I guess i don’t see how MLB can be expected to roll out a weather proof schedule.  Aside from your obviuosly flawless suggestion of April 10th.  Oh,.... wait a minute....  what day is this?

46 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The Kansas City in Detroit twice thing is odd.  The White Sox visit Kansas City twice in April, too.  That is very odd, yes.

I guess i don’t see how MLB can be expected to roll out a weather proof schedule.  Aside from your obviuosly flawless suggestion of April 10th.  Oh,.... wait a minute....  what day is this?

Oh, there's something MLB could do but it isn't being done for one reason and one reason only. Money. Bottom line. If MLB really cared so much about the   "good of the game", the players and the fans?  Shorten the season. Start at the end of April and have the season end in late September/early October.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Maybe get the Great Lakes teams out of the Great Lakes for a series or two in April.   Might be nice to try that. 

Kansas City is under a freeze advisory today...

I think we need a weather derangement thread.

9 hours ago, Casimir said:

It doesn't have to be extreme

I mean just look at our opening schedule we play in Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore in April. That's it. **** Peter King in his Monday Morning Quarterback column thought it was silly enough for him to mention it. 

I think we can all agree that sometimes in April in the upper midwest the weather is going to be lousy.

While you don't need to go to a full warm/dome to open the season you could hedge your bets a bit. We play at Milwaukee this year, that could have been put in April. Or the texas two step. Or even Toronto. That would allow you likely to get in one or two full series without the weather playing a part. That allow players to build some rhythm and fans to get their fill. Sure you might still have a game or two rained out in Detroit in that April, you're going to reduce the threat of having something like we've had this year with rainout/ungodly cold games. 

Minnesota's schedule is similar to ours sans a trip to Tampa. It seems silly to have those two schedules while having Toronto play in Texas to start the season or SD playing Houston. Seems like not maximizing your resources.

8 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I mean just look at our opening schedule we play in Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore in April. That's it. **** Peter King in his Monday Morning Quarterback column thought it was silly enough for him to mention it. 

I think we can all agree that sometimes in April in the upper midwest the weather is going to be lousy.

While you don't need to go to a full warm/dome to open the season you could hedge your bets a bit. We play at Milwaukee this year, that could have been put in April. Or the texas two step. Or even Toronto. That would allow you likely to get in one or two full series without the weather playing a part. That allow players to build some rhythm and fans to get their fill. Sure you might still have a game or two rained out in Detroit in that April, you're going to reduce the threat of having something like we've had this year with rainout/ungodly cold games. 

Minnesota's schedule is similar to ours sans a trip to Tampa. It seems silly to have those two schedules while having Toronto play in Texas to start the season or SD playing Houston. Seems like not maximizing your resources.

The Tigers play 74 divisional games in the midwest.  That leaves 88 games outside of the division, of which, 1/2 of those are played in Detroit.  So the Tigers play no fewer than 118 games, or 73% of its schedule, in the midwest.

There have been 5 series so far this season, 9 in total for March/April.  That would be 1 series so far out of the midwest, 2 for the first month plus of play.  So, if you look at the schedule that way, yes, they are behind the curve a bit, so to speak.

I am disappointed that you didn't offer your local weather update.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

The Tigers play 74 divisional games in the midwest.  That leaves 88 games outside of the division, of which, 1/2 of those are played in Detroit.  So the Tigers play no fewer than 118 games, or 73% of its schedule, in the midwest.

There have been 5 series so far this season, 9 in total for March/April.  That would be 1 series so far out of the midwest, 2 for the first month plus of play.  So, if you look at the schedule that way, yes, they are behind the curve a bit, so to speak.

I am disappointed that you didn't offer your local weather update.

72 and partly sunny

10 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You can't just look at things from one team's perspective.  Schedulers have to juggle intradivision vs interdivision and interleague matchups along with rules around travel from the CBA.

Brewers opened season:

@SD

STL

Cubs

@STL

@NY

Cincy

The Brewers hosted 3 of the first 6 series this year against midwest teams.  I think you can check the box that they did what you suggested.  

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

You can't just look at things from one team's perspective.  Schedulers have to juggle intradivision vs interdivision and interleague matchups along with rules around travel from the CBA.

There are a lot of variables that fall into the equation.  It isn't necessarily a swap of series among a few teams, because once you mess with series outside of the division, they could be a 3 or 4 gamer (or even 2 game series), and then the 4 gamer could interfere with a mandatory day off, or it could interfere with giving a team more than 3 consecutive home/road series, and then you could be forced to shift other series as a domino effect.  And then you've got balancing out home versus road over stretches of time, different interleague match ups by season, etc.  I think the scheduling could be a pretty difficult animal to tame.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

There are a lot of variables that fall into the equation.  It isn't necessarily a swap of series among a few teams, because once you mess with series outside of the division, they could be a 3 or 4 gamer (or even 2 game series), and then the 4 gamer could interfere with a mandatory day off, or it could interfere with giving a team more than 3 consecutive home/road series, and then you could be forced to shift other series as a domino effect.  And then you've got balancing out home versus road over stretches of time, different interleague match ups by season, etc.  I think the scheduling could be a pretty difficult animal to tame.

I don't know how they do it.  I recall a story in SI many years ago, like the 90's, about how it was a husband and wife who did the schedule.  They got the job years prior and just kept it.  That's probably changed.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I don't know how they do it.  I recall a story in SI many years ago, like the 90's, about how it was a husband and wife who did the schedule.  They got the job years prior and just kept it.  That's probably changed.

I recall that story as well. At the time I thought that would be a really cool job. Now, not so much at all. 

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

Yes, it was a husband and wife team that did it for many years.  I think they used a magnetic board to help them build the schedule.  It probably wasn't too difficult with the non interleague two division set up.  Teams made two trips to every city.  There were more multipurpose stadiums back then, but that was basically just working around football scheduling.

Can you imagine trying to do it for an arena?  NHL and NBA and all of the other temporary tenants?  I would think the regular season gets priority, but then scheduling around possible playoffs.  I guess you just don't schedule too much of anything during that time if you are an arena, but then you lose out on possible revenue streams for one or two months.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My guess is there is a fairly complex computer algorithm help inform scheduling for all of the major sports.

I was amazed to learn that at least some (maybe all?) classes at the UM Ann Arbor campus are manually scheduled.

21 hours ago, Oblong said:

I scheduled a youth mite hockey league for 3 seasons.  11 teams in the league, so one team got a bye every week.

There were lots of considerations beyond creating a balanced schedule, spreading out the bye weeks, and an equal number of home and road games for each team (e.g. associations with 2 teams typically had only one sheet per week available for games, so one team had to be on the road a given week, every rinks periodically were unavailable because they were hosting a tournament, individual teams were sometimes unavailable because they went away for a tournament, etc.).

I had a crazy 3 tab spreadsheet that attempted to capture all of the constraints.  I'd guess it took me 20 hours to schedule an entire season for this nothing league, and all three seasons there were some adjustments made after the schedule was submitted.

I have to imagine there is so much stuff the casual fan does not consider when making a schedule, like limiting the length of road and home stands, minimizing travel distance and hours in the air for each team, each team's marketing events and celebration stuff (e.g. 50th anniversary of '68 Tigers, final season for a famous player, etc.). 

I would bet good green money they are doing a really good to amazing job making a schedule taking into consideration everything.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I was amazed to learn that at least some (maybe all?) classes at the UM Ann Arbor campus are manually scheduled.

Crazy!

9 hours ago, Oblong said:

Yeah I remember them doing a special about them on ESPN as well, it was crazy the amount of work that went into it.  Something you kinda take for granted as a fan.  

I think MLB should just plan on unnaturally cold and wet weather in every location MLB teams play in every season, and schedule around it

The Blue Jays home game was postponed b/c ice falling from CN tower punctured holes in Skydome's roof.  #WeatherTalk

Just now, kdog said:

The Blue Jays home game was postponed b/c ice falling from CN tower punctured holes in Skydome's roof.  #WeatherTalk

Damn the powers for scheduling spring games in vulnerable domes.