Motor City Sonics

What are some of your fondest Same Old Lions moments?

15 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm convinced that if Pettigrew had given that play any reaction at all, they would have kept it as PI. The way the crowd reacted (to be expected, given the game was at Dallas), the way the Cowboys reacted, and the way the Lions didn't react, is what led them to pick up that flag. Which is absolutely stupid.

I've still yet to see a penalty go that way since that happened. Throw it, announce it, pick it up, give no explanation, continue. Just inexcusable.

NFL is turning into a game of acting. Rodgers and Brady are both great at it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Mine is people thinking that same old lions means anything,  and that it predicts the future.

Lazy.  

Buzzkill

SOL has kept many people from having rotten moods on Sunday afternoons. I've been Lions free for 11 years and my Sundays are better for it. 

Enjoy your misery and the "I'll be there as a true fan when they finally win" carrot on a stick. I'll be over here in reality. 

14 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

SOL has kept many people from having rotten moods on Sunday afternoons. I've been Lions free for 11 years and my Sundays are better for it. 

Enjoy your misery and the "I'll be there as a true fan when they finally win" carrot on a stick. I'll be over here in reality. 

Where’s the thumbs down button?

26 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Once you have common sense, T&P, it becomes harder to devote Sundays to the Lions.

4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Good for you but why is your "Lions free" life reality while others are "miserable"?  If you take it for what it is which is a game for pure entertainment purposes and not something that actually affects your life in a meaningful way then you won't be miserable for long after a game. 

Lions losses bothered me a lot when I was younger but now that I'm approaching 40 and have a better perspective on life, not so much.  I still get bothered by losses (the Cowboys playoff loss in particular stuck with me for a while) but it doesn't last for long, I just find other things to do rather than just wallow.

What's funny is the Lions, as of right now, are the best of the four Detroit pro teams and it really isn't even close. The Pistons and Red Wings both failed to reach the playoffs and the Tigers are all but guaranteed to miss the playoffs. The Lions are at least a legitimate playoff contender. Stafford has also probably surpassed Cabrera as the top athlete in Detroit. Cutting the Lions out in favor of the other three would make me more miserable. 

8 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

This is just sports though. What makes it fun when you win and heartbreaking when you lose is the lure of the elusive championship. Of course this is more believable when you actually win a championship, but still.

Wings fans in the 70s could have taken the same mantra, but those that didn't were rewarded in the 90s and 00s.

If you don't believe in SOL as some sort of actual witchcraft, there is no reason to believe they won't win a championship at some point, ala Red Sox and Cubs.

That's not to say that everyone should be a fan, as if you're not and your life is healthier for it, good on ya. But telling a bunch of sports fans on a sports forum that Sunday's are better without sports just seems kind of counterintuitive.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:38 PM, Jason_R said:

The problem with that play was that the Lions punter was their placeholder and they had no backup for the placeholder, so they could not use the punter as the backup kicker.    I don't understand why so many punters are doing that now.   Why wouldn't you have a QB, who usually has better hands and has more of an ability to run a fake, be your holder.    

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Because the back up quarterback generally isn't working with the special teams.

They used to.      I would think a backup QB could actually handle the task of learning to hold a football and the half-dozen or so trick plays that go with it and throwing with with the second team.     Having punters try to run on a fake FG in the rain is probably not the best idea.   A QB wouldn't be a good idea in the rain either, but I'd like my chances more. 

The problem with that play was that the Lions punter was their placeholder and they had no backup for the placeholder, so they could not use the punter as the backup kicker.    I don't understand why so many punters are doing that now.   Why wouldn't you have a QB, who usually has better hands and has more of an ability to run a fake, be your holder.    

All’s I know is that it was the most comically absurd play I ever saw.

I'm blame the Suh play on my jersey curse.  Whether it was Charles Rogers, Kevin Jones, mike Williams or even Boss Bailey, whenever I bought a jersey the player went to ****.

So in the middle of that game I got caught up in the moment and ordered a Suh Jersey online, sure enough they ended up blowing the game.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They used to.      I would think a backup QB could actually handle the task of learning to hold a football and the half-dozen or so trick plays that go with it and throwing with with the second team.     Having punters try to run on a fake FG in the rain is probably not the best idea.   A QB wouldn't be a good idea in the rain either, but I'd like my chances more. 

NFL teams as a group seem to think having the punter hold the ball because he is always with the special teams unit is a better idea than having the back-up qb place hold.  They switched off of having the back-up qb do it, so I am guessing there was some merit to the switch.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

NFL teams as a group seem to think having the punter hold the ball because he is always with the special teams unit is a better idea than having the back-up qb place hold.  They switched off of having the back-up qb do it, so I am guessing there was some merit to the switch.

I would imagine it is at least in part because pro teams are not as interested in attempting fake FGs against well drilled NFL defenses that the value of using a backup QB to hold isn't worth the risk of having him on the field?

OTOH - have you ever seen a rugby style punter salvage a bad FG attempt snap and successfully punt it away to at least save giving away field position? I can't remember that I ever have but with more rugby style punters out there maybe that's something teams think about.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:27 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

But telling a bunch of sports fans on a sports forum that Sunday's are better without sports just seems kind of counterintuitive.

I never said sports free Sundays. I said Lions free Sundays. They're really good. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:21 PM, T&P_Fan said:

Mine is people thinking that same old lions means anything,  and that it predicts the future.

Lazy.  

It's just a thread of Lions fans bonding over the long history of ridiculous failures from this team.  Nobody is saying the past predicts the future.

Lighten up Francois.

• Thanks 1