Motor City Sonics

What are some of your fondest Same Old Lions moments?

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet. October 2015: Lions are down 13-10 with just under 2 minutes to play. Calvin catches a 3rd-and-1 pass from Stafford and fumbles into the end zone from the half-yard line. Seattle's K.J. Wright then bats the ball out of the end zone. Instead of calling the penalty against Wright for illegally batting the ball out of the end zone, and giving the Lions 1st-and-goal at the quarter-yard line, the refs eff up and call it a touch-back, Seattle ball, 1st-and-10 at their own 20. Game over.

1980 Thanksgiving game.

On Thanksgiving Day 1980 at the Pontiac Silverdome, Bears quarterback Vince Evans scrambled for a 4-yard touchdown to tie the game as time expired in the fourth quarter and Dave Williams followed by returning the overtime kickoff 95 yards for the game-winning TD.

Scoring 13 points on three consecutive plays—including Bob Thomas' game-tying extra point with :00 showing on the scoreboard—was especially stunning after the Bears had mustered only three points through the first three quarters. But Evans threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to tight end Bob Fisher early in the fourth period before engineering one of the greatest drives in team history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_eNRCKY90

On 4/12/2018 at 9:46 PM, RandyMarsh said:

The Rodgers Hail Mary immediately comes to mind.

Maybe I'm thinking of another team but about 10 or so years ago I remember a team scoring on either a kick return or  hail Mary on the final play of the game only to screw up the xp and lose by 1.  If that was indeed the Lions that is SOL personified.

Just went and looked it up and here's the play I was thinking of.  Shockingly it wasn't the Lions, I guess I'm just conditioned to think that plays like this are the Lions. 

the game against the vikings when they came all the way back and scored a late td that seemingly tied the game. 

but they missed the extra point.

very lions.

Given my age (23), some of my earliest Lions memories were /quality/ SOL moments.

My dad (much wiser than I apparently) had gone to mow the front yard at the end of the 2010 "Calvin Johnson rule" game. I sliced my hand on a screen door telling him the Lions scored a TD with 20-some seconds left - before it got reversed.

Another that comes to mind was 2008, when we had our best shot at squeaking out a victory, against the Vikings, and Dan Orlovsky runs out the back of the friggin end zone. Oy vey. 

On 4/12/2018 at 6:46 PM, RandyMarsh said:

The Rodgers Hail Mary immediately comes to mind.

I was at this game with a buddy. I remember how pissed he was, but all I could do was laugh. I had been at the Michigan/Michigan State game that year as a Michigan fan, so I'm pretty sure I had been completely desensitized to that pain.

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I was at this game with a buddy. I remember how pissed he was, but all I could do was laugh. I had been at the Michigan/Michigan State game that year as a Michigan fan, so I'm pretty sure I had been completely desensitized to that pain.

I hope everyone recalls that play only happened because of a bad call. The Lions were called for facemasking the play prior and time had expired. 

Taylor2-Rodgers-facemask-12-03-15.png

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, Passepartout said:

How the Lions came close in 1991 to making their first Super Bowl appearance. Would had loved to had seen that.

They couldn't get past Washington.

6 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I hope everyone recalls that play only happened because of a bad call. The Lions were called for facemasking the play prior and time had expired. 

Taylor2-Rodgers-facemask-12-03-15.png

FWIW, from the 2nd deck I too thought it was a facemask. I never even celebrated because I could see the flag coming as the tackle happened.

It sucks, and it's SOL for sure, but I don't necessarily blame the human refs for that one.

The Dallas PI call OTOH, I do. That was ridiculous.

I wonder if fans of all teams could come up with as many as we have here?

I am tempted to look at the most popular fan message boards for some bad franchises and cruise the board looking for threads like this and post the links.

I wonder if most people think like this in their town with their team, but I doubt any other major sports franchise could touch the number of bad calls that have happened at such key points int he history of the franchise like we can.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

FWIW, from the 2nd deck I too thought it was a facemask. I never even celebrated because I could see the flag coming as the tackle happened.

It sucks, and it's SOL for sure, but I don't necessarily blame the human refs for that one.

Yeah the ones that stick with me most are the ones that happened in the playoffs since even getting there is so rare and that Dallas one is the one that used to sting the most....that was before I stopped caring last year.

Apathy has set in...still a 'fan', but not in the truest sense of the word...'fanatical'...more in the 'I lived in the city, represent the city because I know nothing else, was a huge fan for most of my life so I still watch' kind of way.

I feel like part of what makes it so awful is the intermixed moments of joy they've given us.

The Dallas drive in 2013 where Stafford snuck it in at the last moment, all the 4th quarter comebacks, the 2009 game against the Browns, Barry Sanders making history, and so on, make the moments of despair so much worse, especially without any culminating point of fandom, where we were on top of the world.

On 4/15/2018 at 10:21 AM, Buddha said:

the game against the vikings when they came all the way back and scored a late td that seemingly tied the game. 

but they missed the extra point.

very lions.

The game right before Christmas in 2004, that's the one where I called it while driving and had to pull over because I was laughing so hard. 

On 4/13/2018 at 11:49 PM, holygoat said:

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet. October 2015: Lions are down 13-10 with just under 2 minutes to play. Calvin catches a 3rd-and-1 pass from Stafford and fumbles into the end zone from the half-yard line. Seattle's K.J. Wright then bats the ball out of the end zone. Instead of calling the penalty against Wright for illegally batting the ball out of the end zone, and giving the Lions 1st-and-goal at the quarter-yard line, the refs eff up and call it a touch-back, Seattle ball, 1st-and-10 at their own 20. Game over.

and the only one on the Lions that seemed to know the rule was Theo Riddick. 

This is the one where I TOTALLY lost it,  just blew a fuse.  

It was October 16, 2005 at Ford Field vs. the Carolina Panthers.   

Hanson kicks a field goal with 5 minutes left to put the Lions up 20-14.

Carolina gets the ball back, does nothing.   Lions get the ball back and manage to only run 30 seconds off the clock in four plays.   They punt it.   Carolina gets it on the 20............Jake Delhomme tries to run it up the middle and gets destroyed,  flattened......out of the game (15 yard penalty on the Lions).  Delhomme is out of the game and in comes Chris Weinke,  who hadn't played in a game since December of 2002.   and it went like this

Weinke to Ricky Proehl

Weinke to Ricky Proehl

Weinke to Ricky Proehl

Weinke to Ricky Proehl (incomplete)

Weinke to Ricky Proehl   TOUCHDOWN.   PAT good,  Lions lose 21-10

The same pass play and same pass pattern five straight plays).   During this time they ran the clock down from 3:13 to 0:35.    And get this,  the Lions still had a timeout in their pocket.   Mariucci didn't use one on defense as Carolina milked the clock.  

I haven't gotten angry at the Lions since that meltdown.  I just laugh at them now.   Because they are so precious.   

7 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I wonder if fans of all teams could come up with as many as we have here?

I am tempted to look at the most popular fan message boards for some bad franchises and cruise the board looking for threads like this and post the links.

I wonder if most people think like this in their town with their team, but I doubt any other major sports franchise could touch the number of bad calls that have happened at such key points int he history of the franchise like we can.

Yeah I'd imagine most teams could point to a bunch of heartbreaking moments but I do think that the Lions have a higher pct of  heartbreaking/questionable calls or plays in high profile games than most other teams.

By that I mean that other teams may have had more of them but that's because they were more successful and played in more big games.  The Lions have played in a relatively few amount of big games over the past 50 years but in seemingly every one there was something that you could point to that was "s.o.l.", at least in recent history anyway.

Orlovsky running way out of his own end zone with nobody near him in an 0-16 season is as SOL as it gets.

If we want to talk about SOL moments in games that matter, Favre to a wide open Sharp in '93, the awful non-interference call on Pettigrew in the Cowboys playoff game (refs screwing the Lions is SOLish) and blowing a 17 point lead, the Tucker 61 yard field goal to beat the Lions when the division was there for the taking.  Others are "The Calvin Johnson rule" play, Calvin fumbling the ball into the end zone against Seattle then Wright illegally booting it out of the end zone but called touchback anyway, Rodgers Hail Mary, ruining the careers of two of the best players to ever play their position forcing them to retire early and many more that I could probably come up with if I took the time.

Lots of franchises have moments like these but when you win 1 playoff game in 60+ years, they get magnified.

20 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Which aspect? The play itself, or crazy Dez Bryant coming onto  the field without a helmet?

That play continues to bother me.

Yeah I'd imagine most teams could point to a bunch of heartbreaking moments but I do think that the Lions have a higher pct of  heartbreaking/questionable calls or plays in high profile games than most other teams.
By that I mean that other teams may have had more of them but that's because they were more successful and played in more big games.  The Lions have played in a relatively few amount of big games over the past 50 years but in seemingly every one there was something that you could point to that was "s.o.l.", at least in recent history anyway.

Pretty much this. Grew up in Skin Territory and spent ten years in Chicago post Ditka. At least they have a couple Super Bowl appearances to fall back on. Though some would say that Dan Snyder and the Halas family would give he Ford’s a run for their money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81bebb5d/article/lions-dt-suh-misses-extrapoint-try-as-emergency-kicker

At first it seemed like a fun novelty -- 307-pound Ndamukong Suh lining up to kick an extra point for Detroit as the home crowd shouted his name.

Then Suh's kick hit the right upright. The Lions could have used that point later in the game.

Suh's miss came in the third quarter Sunday, moments after kicker Jason Hanson was injured. Detroit lost 23-20 in overtime to New York after the Jets tied the game on a last-second field goal.

"There's no question that Ndamukong is our backup field goal kicker," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "He's done it in practice. We have a lot of confidence that he could kick it. It put him in a difficult situation because he went out without any warmups. ... Probably should have called a timeout, given him time to get ready."

6 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Which aspect? The play itself, or crazy Dez Bryant coming onto  the field without a helmet?

That play continues to bother me.

I'm convinced that if Pettigrew had given that play any reaction at all, they would have kept it as PI. The way the crowd reacted (to be expected, given the game was at Dallas), the way the Cowboys reacted, and the way the Lions didn't react, is what led them to pick up that flag. Which is absolutely stupid.

I've still yet to see a penalty go that way since that happened. Throw it, announce it, pick it up, give no explanation, continue. Just inexcusable.

Mine is people thinking that same old lions means anything,  and that it predicts the future.

Lazy.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Mine is people thinking that same old lions means anything,  and that it predicts the future.

Lazy.  

While guilty of using the words within the thread, I despise the "fan" that pulls this out in the 4th quarter after a close loss. The "hahahahaha, told you so, same old Lions" person deserves to be punched. Every time.

• Like 1