Motor City Sonics

What are some of your fondest Same Old Lions moments?

One came to mind today. 

Clock running down in Minnesota, Lions down 31-26 with the ball.     Lions were down 31-6 earlier and the underrated and underappreciated Charlie Batch brought them back.   Batch hits Germane Crowell with a beautiful pass down the sideline on the 20 yard line with 10 seconds left.   Crowell decides to run in bounds instead of out of bounds, stopping the clock.  He gets tackled and the clock runs out.    Same Old Lions.    

Another one was back in 2004.  It was right before my 40th birthday.   Lions and Vikings again.   Lions were down 28-14 and Joey Harrington led them down the field with 2 touchdowns in the waning minutes.   They scored with 8 seconds left to make it 28-27 and I was riding in the car with 2 friends and I said, and I swear this is true "They'll probably fumble the snap".   Well, that's what happened and I was driving and laughing so hard I had to pull over.    Same Old Lions. 

For years a buddy and I have had the idea of starting the SOL Museum of Futility. It would be complete with interactive displays, videos and stories of SOL moments throughout time. Each decade since the Bobby Layne trade would have its own section.

Museum visitors could ready stories about Bobby Ross running Barry out of town, Millen's decision to draft Charles Rogers after Rogers stated he didn't want to play here, Titus Young sucker punching Louis Delmas, and more. They could watch video clips of Schwartz throwing the challenge flag, Marty taking the wind against Chicago and on. If had a couple million to pay a usage rights fee and we could get the rights from the Detroit Lions, NFL and NFLPA we think the museum would make a killing.

Bears@Lions 12/24/2000. First Lions game after moving from Chicago.

I found out about the SOL early in our time here.

sterling sharpe wide open in the end zone.

The Rodgers Hail Mary immediately comes to mind.

Maybe I'm thinking of another team but about 10 or so years ago I remember a team scoring on either a kick return or  hail Mary on the final play of the game only to screw up the xp and lose by 1.  If that was indeed the Lions that is SOL personified.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

One came to mind today. 

Clock running down in Minnesota, Lions down 31-26 with the ball.     Lions were down 31-6 earlier and the underrated and underappreciated Charlie Batch brought them back.   Batch hits Germane Crowell with a beautiful pass down the sideline on the 20 yard line with 10 seconds left.   Crowell decides to run in bounds instead of out of bounds, stopping the clock.  He gets tackled and the clock runs out.    Same Old Lions.    

I remember this play. I can still see the look on Charlie Batch's face when Crowell decided to cut up field.

That was the game where the next day the Minny papers had the infamous headline of "Detroit blows" while putting that pic of Batch on his knees. 

Marty taking the wind and Bobby Ross running Barry Sanders out of town were my two favorites. I was only 14 or 15 at the time when Mornhinweg decided to take the wind in overtime. Even as a kid I knew the rules well enough that what he had just done was a colossal blunder. I still remember sitting there in stunned silence and disbelief thinking how a coach could make a mistake that big.

Bill Belichik took the wind and lost. If I recall, the Lions had Chicago in a 3rd and long and either a dumb penalty or bad play got them into FG range.

Edingers fg to knock us out of the playoffs and kick start the Millen era.

21 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Another one was back in 2004.  It was right before my 40th birthday.   Lions and Vikings again.   Lions were down 28-14 and Joey Harrington led them down the field with 2 touchdowns in the waning minutes.   They scored with 8 seconds left to make it 28-27 and I was riding in the car with 2 friends and I said, and I swear this is true "They'll probably fumble the snap".   Well, that's what happened and I was driving and laughing so hard I had to pull over.    Same Old Lions. 

I remember that game vividly because right after they scored my wife said the same thing: "I bet the screw up the kick and miss it."  She's not even a Lions fan and still she's been lionized.

15 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

For years a buddy and I have had the idea of starting the SOL Museum of Futility. It would be complete with interactive displays, videos and stories of SOL moments throughout time. Each decade since the Bobby Layne trade would have its own section.

Museum visitors could ready stories about Bobby Ross running Barry out of town, Millen's decision to draft Charles Rogers after Rogers stated he didn't want to play here, Titus Young sucker punching Louis Delmas, and more. They could watch video clips of Schwartz throwing the challenge flag, Marty taking the wind against Chicago and on. If had a couple million to pay a usage rights fee and we could get the rights from the Detroit Lions, NFL and NFLPA we think the museum would make a killing.

Barry said the decision had more to do with the Lion's going to a young QB Charlie Batch than anything.

49 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Barry said the decision had more to do with the Lion's going to a young QB Charlie Batch than anything.

He's also said, and I believe this more - it was because they allowed Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover to leave over money (no salary cap then),

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I remember this play. I can still see the look on Charlie Batch's face when Crowell decided to cut up field.

Batch had a GREAT game that day.   I thought Batch was pretty good actually.   

16 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Bears@Lions 12/24/2000. First Lions game after moving from Chicago.

I found out about the SOL early in our time here.

That might be the ultimate,  that caused a decade of future pain.  

I remember a game in Arizona.    

Late in the game the Lions scored a touchdown to go down by 4.   Bobby Ross decides to go for 2.   They don't get it.   They get the ball back at the end of the game and take it down to the 10 yard line and instead of needing a FG to tie it, they need a TD and they don't get it.   Ross claims he didn't think his team had enough left in the heat to play in OT.   I contend that Bobby didn't know the score of the game.   Whatever the reason he should have been fired the next day.     

This game

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199911140crd.htm

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Someone needs to write a book

Every team has these types of stories. The Lions just don't win as much as others. I remember watching live the Saints and Jaguars before the Drew Brees era were the Saints missed an extra point to tie the game. They were at their 20 with less than 10 seconds to play. After several laterals and backward passes, they went 80 yards for the touchdown. They needed the extra point to tie. Carney flat out missed. The ball wasn't fumbled it was just missed. That incredible play to score a TD was all for not. 

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Bill Belichik took the wind and lost. If I recall, the Lions had Chicago in a 3rd and long and either a dumb penalty or bad play got them into FG range.

The Lions had the Bears stopped on 3rd and long , but took a holding call to try to force Chigago out of field goal range rather than have the Bears attempt a 40+ yeard field goal into the wind.  The Bears subsequently made the long 3rd down given the 2nd chance.

I had no issue with taking the wind if it is that game changing.  I have issue with not following through on the strategy and forcing Chicago into a long field goal attempt after having taken the wind.

Every team has these types of stories. The Lions just don't win as much as others. I remember watching live the Saints and Jaguars before the Drew Brees era were the Saints missed an extra point to tie the game. They were at their 20 with less than 10 seconds to play. After several laterals and backward passes, they went 80 yards for the touchdown. They needed the extra point to tie. Carney flat out missed. The ball wasn't fumbled it was just missed. That incredible play to score a TD was all for not. 

Yep, spent ten years in Chicago. The end of the Ditka era, Wannstadt’s time, the Dave McGinnis fiasco....

Not really a SOL play perhaps but letting Matt Flynn destroy us in Week 17 in 2011 was a SOL.  If we win that game we get a home game against a severely flawed Falcons team, instead we lose and have to play at NO which was like the toughest place to play.   A 9-7 Giants team won the whole thing that season so if we would've beat GB and avoided NO the first round who knows what would've happened. 

Holy crap there are so many...lol

uhhh the one that sticks out to me the most was the PI that was called in the Cowboys playoff game...the flag was picked up, it was crap, everyone knew it, but it still happened.  

I didn't even know about Dez coming onto the field, which should have also been a flag, until the next day because I was so enraged over the picked up flag.  We should have beat them that day.

CJ completion of course.

The Rodgers hail mary was laughable because I turned it off JUST before it happened (monday night game) thinking they lost because 'SOL'...waking up to find out it was true..lol

There have been a million leverage calls against us over the years.  People that do not get how important leverage calls are confuse me.

How the Lions came close in 1991 to making their first Super Bowl appearance. Would had loved to had seen that.