Sydney_Fife

2018 Pistons Offseason

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think drummond has gotten better each year in the nba.  i think he is the best rebounder in the league.  i think he is a great pick and roll finisher.

thats nothing to shake a stick at.

i also think he doesnt play hard all the time, is too uncoordinated to truly ever make a difference one on one offensively, and can be easily pushed around and intimidated.

if he focused on diving to the basket and playing hard all the time, bulked up, and matured more, he could be a great defensive player.  he could be deandre jordan or tyson chandler, which is what i always thought his ceiling was.

the pistons problem is that now theyve had to pay him max money and he's matched with a declining blake griffin and a subpar reggie jackson.  

if they can somehow construct an offense of blake/andre pick and rolls, they could have something.  how that would work with brickmaster stanley johnson on the court i dont know.  the obvious solution to me is to get rid of stanley or move him to the bench, but whaddaiknow?

Vince Ellis is predicting the starting lineup will be Reggie / Bullock / GR3 / Blake / Andre

IMO - that is a solid starting lineup. Bullock / GR3 are above average 3 point shooters on the wings and I believe both Reggie & Blake will be slightly above average as well. Griffin is a playmaker, even if he is declining and can find the open man on the court. 

This is good for the bench, as it allows Kennard to be more of a playmaker (I think he should run P&R) and doesn't force Stanley to be a stand-still 3 point shooter. 

45 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Vince Ellis is predicting the starting lineup will be Reggie / Bullock / GR3 / Blake / Andre

IMO - that is a solid starting lineup. Bullock / GR3 are above average 3 point shooters on the wings and I believe both Reggie & Blake will be slightly above average as well. Griffin is a playmaker, even if he is declining and can find the open man on the court. 

This is good for the bench, as it allows Kennard to be more of a playmaker (I think he should run P&R) and doesn't force Stanley to be a stand-still 3 point shooter. 

griii should definitely start over stanley.

have stanley play in the second unit unless youre totally starved for defense.

14 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This team will not be good.

If they make they playoffs, it will be because a bunch of teams will be tanking.

I don't know anyone can say this with such certainty with a group of players that has never played together for an extended period of time and a completely new coaching staff.

I honestly have no idea how they will do.  A lot will depend on health but there's also chemisty, coaching etc.  Just too many question marks to be confident in predicting any outcome right now.  What I'm certain about is that they are neither a championship contender or a bottom feeder.

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't know anyone can say this with such certainty with a group of players that has never played together for an extended period of time and a completely new coaching staff.

I say it because I don't like their roster construction given the way the game is played and two of their big three (as it were) are very injury prone.

21 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I honestly have no idea how they will do.  A lot will depend on health but there's also chemisty, coaching etc.  Just too many question marks to be confident in predicting any outcome right now.  What I'm certain about is that they are neither a championship contender or a bottom feeder.

Health is the key. If Reggie & Blake stay healthy (BIGGGG question marks, I know), this could be a team that wins a playoff series. If one or both are injured for stretches of time, we are an 8 seed at best. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I say it because I don't like their roster construction given the way the game is played and two of their big three (as it were) are very injury prone.

The roster construction isn't so bad IMO. This team is not starved for shooters anymore, which was a major issue in the past. Blake also relieves Reggie of being a playmaker, and we have quality wings. 

Health is the primary concern at this point. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

For sure, no argument there.  I do think they COULD be good if the pieces fit together because, talentwise, they are good enough to compete for a decent playoff seed but there's way too many question marks to be confident of any outcome.

Sure, but to overstate the case, I could date Scarlett Johansson.

I am pretty confident the Pistons will not be good, and if they make the post-season it is more likely owing to the fact that a bunch of teams appear to be tanking.

I will concede it is possible the pieces will come together and they will be solidly good team, but that seems less than 10% chance or something to me.

10% > 0%

Pistons being good% > Bigs giving Scarlett the Bigs% ;)

3 year $39 million extension for winslow.  i imagine that stanley will want something similar.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

3 year $39 million extension for winslow.  i imagine that stanley will want something similar.

****. No. 

I wonder if that Winslow extension has anything to do with the potential Butler deal?  Maybe Minnesota insisted on him signing one even though a Winslow extension being the hang up sounds pretty unlikely.

Reggie Hearn out.  Zach Lofton in (on a two way deal).

Galloway back in the rotation.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Reggie Hearn out.  Zach Lofton in (on a two way deal).

Galloway back in the rotation.

I like the move to Lofton. Likely won't make a difference, but there is some potential there for Lofton to carve out a future bench spot as a 3 point shooter, should Bullock/Stanley not be around next season.